The Next Best Book Club discussion

Book Related Banter > This is what I am planning on reading within next few months.

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Fariha (last edited Oct 14, 2010 07:34PM) (new)

Fariha (mysteeq) So I loooooooove reading fictions. And recently I have discovered even when I am drowning in school work (I am a fourth year chemical engineering student at McGill University) reading and watching House keeps me pretty much stress free. So here are a few books I have decided I will be reading over the next few months (the books are not listed in any order):

1.I know this much is true
2.Every man dies alone
3.the secret scripture
4.Night train to Lisbon
5.Night
6.Bomber
7.Sarah's key
8.I am the messenger
9.The boy in the stripped pajamas
10.The Guernsey Literary And Potato Peel Pie Society
11.Those who saved us
12.The secret daughter
13.Gone with the wind
14.The remains of the day
15.The weed that strings the hangman's bag
16.Jarhead
17.The thirteenth tale
18.Charlie Wilson's war
19.Finnie walsh
20.The short history of tractors in Ukranian
21.Lullabies for little criminals
22.Mister Pip
23.Six suspects
24.A prayer for Owen Minie
25.The millennium trilogy

Now I want you to tell me which one of the books are worth reading and which are not. Looking forward to your opinions.

message 2: by Fariha (new)

Fariha (mysteeq) And also I am trying to get my hands on as many great world war 2 fictions as possible. All suggessions are welcome :)

message 3: by JudiAnne (new)

JudiAnne (judipatooti) These are the ones I have read and loved for whatever it's worth. I Know This Much Is True is a great Wally Lamb novel. You might also want to try She's Come Undone and The Hour I First Believed. They are also great Wally Lamb books. Sarah's Key is also very good. Gone With the Wind is the mother of epic historical novels. Also very good, A Prayer for Owen Meany as well as The World According to Garp and Cider House Rules also by John Irving. The other's I haven't read. I did see the movieThe Boy in the Striped Pajamas and it was excellent.

As far as WWII novels, any of Ken Follett's early spy and espionage novels. I loved Greg Isles' Spandau Phoenix and Black Cross. I hope this helps.

message 4: by Erika (new)

Erika (erikareading) I really loved I Am the Messanger. Enjoyed the Millenium series and The Weed that Strings the Hang-Man's Bag. Alan Bradley is awesome :) I liked Sarah's Key too.

To me The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society was just okay but everyone else I know loved it. Plus the potato peel pie themed night-mare didn't help. So I think I'm saying you should give this one a try! It was at least easy an easy-to-read writing stlye with a fascinating story.

I haven't read any of the others.

message 5: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 212 comments Night is an absolute MUST! Heartbreaking and painful and necessary!

message 6: by Rayna (new)

Rayna  (Poindextrix) (poindextrix) | 73 comments I definitely recommend The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. It was phenomenal.