My Adventures Through Theology and Beyond discussion

Videos > Set Apart

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cody (new)

Cody (rolinor) That one is good to but let me get something straight he is saying us Christians are atheists because we do not believe in a god but we believe in something beyond a god... Or something like that.

message 2: by Cody (new)

Cody (rolinor) ok that makes more sense now

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 297 comments Cody wrote: "That one is good to but let me get something straight he is saying us Christians are atheists because we do not believe in a god but we believe in something beyond a god... Or something like that."

He's saying that, as atheists reject their own concept of God and theism, Christians reject their own concept of God, believing God will always be so much more than we could possibly understand.

The key difference, however, is that atheists reject the concept in favor of lack of belief in anything Divine, while Christians reject the concept in favor of belief in something even more than we can possibly understand.

I'll have to disagree with this one, though, because atheism and theism still come down to lack of belief and belief.

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 297 comments Girl4beluga wrote: "What about it exactly?"

The idea that Christians are atheists. Theists are not atheists. They are similar in the way he pointed out, but a theist is not an atheist.

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 297 comments I wouldn't mind being called an agnostic, as I see where a person can say "Agnostic is someone who doesn't know, and no one knows", even though I say it's more "An agnostic chooses not to take a side". However, atheism is the lack of belief in the Divine, while Christians (and all theists), though they may have some doubts, believe in the Divine.

message 6: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 965 comments Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) wrote: "Girl4beluga wrote: "What about it exactly?"

The idea that Christians are atheists. Theists are not atheists. They are similar in the way he pointed out, but a theist is not an atheist."

I agree with this....

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 297 comments I did like the video. I thought it brought up some good points, just not that bit on Christians being atheists. My favorite bit was the imagery of how God can't be fit into a nice little definition.

message 8: by Micah (last edited Oct 18, 2010 12:32AM) (new)

Micah (multivoxmuse) | 48 comments Gaahh.. Atheism is not that complex of a concept.

Here it is:
An atheist is a person that lacks belief in a God or gods.

Atheism is not :
A person that believes no God or gods exist.

It is a lack of a certain belief, not a belief, not a world-view.

--The difference is subtle but you can get it.--

Atheism says nothing about a person apart from the fact that a 'belief in a God or gods' is not a feature they possess.

It's like calling someone a leprechaun-denier.

You can't define someone by an arbitrary attribute that they *don't* possess.