Flowery Friends discussion

26 views
The Mischief of the Mistletoe--Discussion

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (randhrshipper1) | 35 comments This thread is the place to discuss The Mischief of the Mistletoe: A Pink Carnation Christmas. I was lucky enough to find an advance copy on sale at my local Half-Price Books, and the book itself is on sale on October 21st, so I thought I'd start this thread. I just posted my review and I'll join this thread again after other have had time to read it and comment. Enjoy the book!


message 2: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (mamamunky) | 1 comments I just got the copy I pre-ordered way back when, so as soon as I get started I'll be posting :)


message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (randhrshipper1) | 35 comments Lindsey wrote: "I just got the copy I pre-ordered way back when, so as soon as I get started I'll be posting :)"

Great, Lindsey! I got the release date wrong in my first post--this book was released today--so I hope now that the many Pink Carnation fans can have it in their hands, we'll have a good discussion before long!


message 4: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (randhrshipper1) | 35 comments Well, I wish there was a way to get this group and discussion seen by more of Willig's fan--I know she has a lot! But as The Orchid Affair will be released on January 20th, I wanted to add my thoughts on Mistletoe now.

First point: I LOVE THE USE OF JANE AUSTEN!!! Willig is so good at using the Regency setting we love from Austen, that finally seeing the lady herself as a character--full of the wit we know her for--was a treat!

I LOVE that Turnip gets to be the romantic hero here, and Willig really chose well in creating Arabella Dempsey as his match. This is such a sweet pairing, with all the trappings of Christmas around them. I also like learning a bit about pre-Victorian hiliday festivities, as most of the Christmas traditions we have today are from the Victorian era. Willig also cleverly introduced three young ladies who are relatives to Pink Carnation characters who will no doubt have larger roles in books to come.

Now, onto The Orchid Affair!


message 5: by Kelley (new)

Kelley (shewolf0316) i did enjoy Mischief. I missed the updates about Eloise but I did enjoy seeing Turnip finally get his chance to play spy AND hero, with Arabella.


message 6: by Diandra (new)

Diandra | 5 comments I really liked Mistletoe, and I think Turnip is adorable, but for some reason, when Turnip/Arabella encountered the regular characters in the novel, I couldn't help thinking that these characters think that Turnip is a complete idiot and don't really respect him for much. It kind of took a way a little bit from Turnip's glow that is fitting to a hero in the Pink Series. No worries, I still think he's very likeable!


message 7: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (randhrshipper1) | 35 comments I understand what you mean, Diandra, about the view the series' heroes and heroines take about Turnip, but I think it's less mean-spirited than you make it sound. I get the feeling they all see him as bumbling but harmless and they do value him as a friend. Geoff sticks by him in Mistletoe for instance. I think they know Turnip is just Turnip! :)


message 8: by Diandra (new)

Diandra | 5 comments Yes I really liked that Geoff was there for Turnip and I think you're right, Rachel, when you say that the other heroes/heroines think that he is just being Turnip. I'm probably subconciously referring to Mary/Vaughn's encounter with Turnip and Arabella. Then again, they were probably snobby because they don't really get along much with anyone really, lol. (They're my least favorite couple :\ )


message 9: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (randhrshipper1) | 35 comments Diandra wrote: "Yes I really liked that Geoff was there for Turnip and I think you're right, Rachel, when you say that the other heroes/heroines think that he is just being Turnip. I'm probably subconciously refe..."

I know exactly what you mean! Vaughn and Mary are my lest favorite couple too! Snobby definitely describes them. And that seems really evident here in Mistletoe for some reason.


message 10: by Kelley (new)

Kelley (shewolf0316) Rachel wrote: "I know exactly what you mean! Vaughn and Mary are my lest favorite couple too! Snobby definitely describes them. And that seems really evident here in Mistletoe for some reason..."

Yeah I've never been a fan of Mary either. I kinda liked Vaughn but can't stand Mary.


message 11: by Diandra (new)

Diandra | 5 comments Kelley wrote: "i did enjoy Mischief. I missed the updates about Eloise but I did enjoy seeing Turnip finally get his chance to play spy AND hero, with Arabella."

I liked that too, it was kind of a surprise, sort of cherry on top moment for Arabella, that Turnip did the "odd spy job" in addition to being his wonderfully weird self that Arabella fell in love with. I liked that part very much and I think Lauren did a good job incorporating Turnip's (small) spy role into the novel.


message 12: by Magen (new)

Magen I liked this book because I thought it was very realistic, the way they became close and fell in love. And Turnip has got to be my favorite character, ever, simply because he has no pretenses. In all things, he is himself. And really, I think that's why he is sometimes treated poorly/rudely, because everyone knows that what you see is what you get, because Turnip has no reason to lie to/cheat/hurt anyone. They often take him for granted. In that day and age, finding a person who said what they that, if it was on purpose or not, was hard to find, especially with all the spy business and everything.

I loved this one very much, and I thought the Jane Austen bits were believable and enjoyable.


message 13: by Katrina (new)

Katrina Guy | 5 comments I think this one may be a high favorite because of its overall sweetness and humour. Arabella really values Turnip for who he is, and he thinks she's the best woman he's ever met. Turnip's sweetness also comes from the fact that he's a genuinely protective fellow (as seen by his statements regarding Miles and Henrietta in MoBT, and towards Penelope in MotM) regarding women.

I hope in the future we get glimpses of their married life as well!

And is it me or are Geoff and Letty the first of our couples to have a baby?


message 14: by Megan (new)

Megan I am finishing this one up (audiobook). I have listened to (in the order recommended by the author) and loved all the books so far in this series. Each hero/heroine has been a treat (except maybe Mary - she is not my type) but there is just something so endearing about Turnip. And having Jane Austen in this book is great fun!


message 15: by Pylgrym (new)

Pylgrym | 3 comments I felt that Mary did a 180 from the way she had previously beeen portrayed. I think that accounts for part of the reason that she put me off too. She wasn't true to our expectations.


message 16: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (randhrshipper1) | 35 comments Pylgrym wrote: "I felt that Mary did a 180 from the way she had previously beeen portrayed. I think that accounts for part of the reason that she put me off too. She wasn't true to our expectations."

I don't know about that--Mary always just seemed like a snob to me.


message 17: by Katrina (new)

Katrina Guy | 5 comments Well, I think we see the "deeper" Mary in the Crimson Rose. But just because she's married well, doesn't mean that she's suddenly gone sweet.
I suspect her behavior to Turnip and Arabella in MotM is based on her take on how to manage the marriage market. Although she never wanted Turnip, she knows exactly how changed Arabella's position is and probably believes that Arabella's actions are based on self interest and that she is specifically latching onto Turnip for no other reason than his money.

I love all four of these characters. In VERY different ways.


message 18: by Pylgrym (new)

Pylgrym | 3 comments I haven't read/heard MotM yet. I was thinking in terms of the first 4 where they mock Jeffrey's infatuation and her arrogant, spoiled attitude over the whole kerfuffle in Emerald. Admittedly, she had reason to be upset but Jeffrey was a prize not a lover. I enjoyed Crimson Rose but I had to detach myself from my previous experiences and live in the moment. I love Turnip. How can you not? But isn't it something of shift from being the resident idiot to the love interest. I'm thinking there must be some seismic shifts there as well.


back to top