We Love Lisa Kleypas discussion

Hero Threads > The Steadfast Mr. Matthew Swift

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Julianna (last edited Oct 12, 2010 12:47PM) (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 380 comments Wow, I can't believe there isn't a thread yet for Matthew. This wonderful guy needs some lovin' too, so I'm going to get things started. He's not only handsome, but also very intelligent, dependable, and hard-working, all prime traits in my book. He may not be the most romantic guy in the world, but he has all that controlled, hidden passion waiting to be unleashed on the one and only woman he loves. Best of all, he loves Daisy for who she is and doesn't want her to change. In my opinion, he's an all-around sweetheart and I love him to pieces.

I adore Marcus, but Matthew has definitely given him a run for his money. They have so many similarities, I'm having a hard time picking my favorite, but I think it's now Matthew by a nose. I'm also going to have to retract my earlier statement in Marcus's thread about being married to him. I'd now have to say that my hubby is slightly more like Matthew, but he has a lot of characteristics of both. Yuummmmy!;-)

message 2: by Auntee (new)

Auntee | 152 comments I loved him too Julie! You mean he doesn't have his own thread?
He was a solid, dependable guy, but not boring!

Wow, if your husband compares to both Marcus and Matthew, then you are one lucky girl!:)

message 3: by E. (new)

E. R. (dilawrosas) | 507 comments I think he's really the complimentary part for Daisy. I think he's a great guy for her, and I'm grateful that he gets his woman.

message 4: by Julianna (last edited Oct 12, 2010 05:52PM) (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 380 comments Yay, another Matthew lover! Nope, I looked and couldn't find a thread for him, but now we have one.;-)

Apparently a lot of readers did think he was dull and boring which seems to be one of the main reasons Scandal in Spring has the lowest rating. I didn't think he was boring either, just a real, honest, hard-working kind of guy. He could also be funny and very passionate which is never dull.;-)

I think I'm a pretty lucky girl (except on those occasional days that the hubby aggravates me ;-)). JK, even then I thank my lucky stars. Marcus and Matthew are quite similar, but with very subtle differences. I can't tell you how many times when I was reading their books I cracked up, especially at Matthew, because they would say or do something that my hubby has said or done in the past. Too funny! Not to mention having them both appearing so prominently in the same story was just sheer perfection for me.;-)

message 5: by Auntee (last edited Oct 12, 2010 06:15PM) (new)

Auntee | 152 comments That's wonderful, Julie! Does hubby know that he compares favorably to two awesome romance heroes?:)

I loved both of those guys. Marcus really grew on me as the series progressed (he's probably my favorite hero) and I'm surprised that more people didn't rave over Matthew and Daisy's story.

message 6: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 3737 comments Thanks for starting a thread. Ideally, the plan was to have one for each hero, but I wanted to give the members a chance to start some threads. So thanks!

I don't think Matthew was dull and boring at all. I really like him.

message 7: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 828 comments I never thought Matthew was dull at all. He and Daisy were perfect for each other and it was fun to watch it all unfold.

message 8: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 338 comments Me too, and the unrequited love thing. So sweet!

message 9: by Julianna (last edited Oct 13, 2010 05:16PM) (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 380 comments Auntee wrote: "That's wonderful, Julie! Does hubby know that he compares favorably to two awesome romance heroes?:)

I loved both of those guys. Marcus really grew on me as the series progressed (he's probabl..."

Yes, I couldn't seem to stop raving about them, so I think I stroked his ego quite nicely.;-) I also read a couple of passage to him from Scandal in Spring that I knew he could relate to. The scene where Daisy was telling Matthew about how McKenna used to climb the balcony to Aline's room particularly tickled his funny bone. It sounded exactly like a conversation he and I might have had. LOL!

I'm really surprised that there isn't more love for this book too. It was just so sweetly perfect.

message 10: by Julianna (last edited Oct 13, 2010 05:20PM) (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 380 comments Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "Thanks for starting a thread. Ideally, the plan was to have one for each hero, but I wanted to give the members a chance to start some threads. So thanks!

I don't think Matthew was dull and bo..."

You're welcome, Danielle. I'm more than happy to rave about my favorite Wallflower hero (possibly favorite LK hero).;-) I was just surprised someone hadn't started one for him yet.

Glad to see I'm not alone, and a few other people liked him too.

message 11: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (last edited Oct 21, 2010 07:45AM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 3737 comments Julie, I hope you don't mind, but I added an apellation to Matthew's name for this thread, so it would match the others.

message 12: by Julianna (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 380 comments No, not at all. I was trying to think of something when I started the thread, but nothing was coming to me. I think that fits him perfectly.:-)

message 13: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 3737 comments Cool!

message 14: by MashJ (new)

MashJ | 733 comments I guess you could easily see how steadfast was very appealing to him, having come out of a very tumultuous time ie the crime he was accused of and as he was living a lie in his name he chose to make every other part of his life honourable.

message 15: by Laura (new)

Laura (laurastamps) I'm really liking this guy. I doubt he will be one of my all-time LK favs (like Sir Ross and Westcliff) but I love how he is with Daisy. He's been so in love with her for so many years that he's cute as he can be when he finally gives in and goes romantic on her. Just really really sweet! ;)

message 16: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments I really like Matthew, too. I think that McKenna, from Again the Magic, was my favorite Wallflower character.

message 17: by Laura (new)

Laura (laurastamps) "Again the Magick" was an awesome book! I agree. Powerful love story for sure.

message 18: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 3737 comments Very true, Mshj!

message 19: by Laura (new)

Laura (laurastamps) I just finished "Scandal in Spring." Wow. I think it is my fav of the Wallflower novels.

message 20: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments I loved it because it was so different than the others, Laura. And I LOVED the "lawn bowl" part. I even quoted that segue in my review. LOVED it!

message 21: by Laura (new)

Laura (laurastamps) That was a hoot, wasn't it? Who knew Daisy was so ruthlessly competitive? *falls over laughing* I just added it to my GR library and posted a really short review.

message 22: by Julianna (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 380 comments Laura wrote: "I just finished "Scandal in Spring." Wow. I think it is my fav of the Wallflower novels."

Yay! Another big fan of this book. Definitely my fav too.;-)

message 23: by Laura (new)

Laura (laurastamps) Is it, Julie? Good to hear! It really wowed me, much to my surprise. ;)

message 24: by Carol Cork *Young at Heart Oldie* (last edited Jul 04, 2011 03:36AM) (new)

Carol Cork *Young at Heart Oldie* (httpsrakesandrascalswordpresscom) | 2140 comments I think it’s a pity that Matthew is often overshadowed by the other heroes in this series because I really adore him. Not only is he dependable and honorable but his total devotion to Daisy and his acceptance of her just the way she is makes him so endearing. As a couple, they're so right together.

In the business world, he is tenacious and assertive but, as Westcliff observes, he had a natural presence and confidence that people respond to and the ability to interact with people from all walks of life. By contrast, in his private life, he is warm and caring and I love the scene where he improvises the teething aid for Annabelle’s daughter out of a handkerchief, some fishing line and crushed ice and cuddles her. That's adorable!

I like the scene towards the end where he realises his position now is so very different from all those years ago. Now he has money, powerful friends and most important Daisy’s love.

message 25: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Carol wrote: "I think it’s a pity that Matthew is often overshadowed by the other heroes in this series because I really adore him. Not only is he dependable and honorable but his total devotion to Daisy and his acceptance of her just the way she is makes him so endearing. As a couple, they're so right together."

I totally agree. Scandal in Spring has some of my very favorite scenes in it.

message 26: by Shelly (new)

Shelly (shellye77) I think the scene with the goose is the funniest in the whole series, and they're first intimate scene was so sweet!

message 27: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments I loved the Lawn Bowling scene.

message 28: by Mai (last edited Sep 24, 2011 01:23PM) (new)

Mai | 25 comments I am crazy about Matthew too !!
He is the perfect match for Daisy .Yes they are the best couple I have ever read about .His practical nature balanced her dreamy one .He is tall ,dark and strong, she is small, fair and delicate like a daisy .

You know,most readers raved about Sebastian and Marcus and Simon but not Matthew .But I fell in love with him because ,Unlike Marcus who is perfect ,Sebastian who is intimidating in his beauty and wit ,Simon with his ruthlessness ,Matthew was a human .
He had his own fears and insecurities .He combines all the elements that make him more real than Sebastian who was a rake and Marcus who is too perfect to be true .Matthew had humble origins and like Simon a self-made man .Nevertheless, Simon was too strong and confident and cynical to be real .Matthew speaks and behaves and reacts like a real man that’s why I adore him so much .He is hot and confident and possesses a dry sense of humor ,yet ,he is unsure about Daisy and his feelings for her all these years made him sweet and vulnerable .

I looove the scene when Daisy locks herself in his bedroom and throws the key down her corset forcing him to undress her in order to get it out I nearly swooned !!!Matthew was so cute when he was having an inner battle with his desires and I adored Daisy
Their romance always makes me feel warm .I read it twice and will re read it more !I even remember most of the events.The wishing well,the hilarious scene with the crazy goose ! The scene Carol mentioned with baby Isabel was so touching and sweet I drooled all over him ! The kiss in the library ,the pig attack on Daisy ,the scandalous parlor game ! I even remember with fondness when Daisy and Evie eavesdrope on Matthew and Lord Lianderendon (yes I remember his name !!)and Matthew tries desperately to make the lord court Daisy while he himself sounds desperately in love with her (oh he’s adorable ).
The best scene was of course in the bachelor house with the key !
Matthew is Yummy !! he is the BEST !!

Carol Cork *Young at Heart Oldie* (httpsrakesandrascalswordpresscom) | 2140 comments Well said, Mai!

message 30: by Mai (new)

Mai | 25 comments Thanks dear Carol.

you know ,I just happened to remember sth that is really bothering me .

I read all the 4 Wallflower stories last year .
And I remembered a scene that I was sure I read it in one
of them ,most probably Scandal in Spring.

I think that it was time for Daisy to give birth and Lillian was saying something about Daisy being as healthy as a horse during her pregnancy and then Lillian said something about Mathew that he is large and his child is oversized like him.

I even remember Westcliff rebuked Lillian for saying such remarks .I even remember my feelings of being annoyed at Lillian and I thought :Does she still dislike Mathew?

The weird thing is that..When I re-read the Wallflowers again I was expecting to read this scene in the epilogue of Scandal in Spring but then I read it and the epilogue features Daisy’s wedding!!

It drove me crazy as I tried to remember where I read that scene and I couldn’t!!
I know it is silly but it is really driving me crazy !!

I would be thankful if anyone can tell me if it is really a scene in one of the Wallflowers or I am mixing with another story .. PLEASE !!

Carol Cork *Young at Heart Oldie* (httpsrakesandrascalswordpresscom) | 2140 comments Mai, I haven't read A Wallflower Christmas yet but could it have been that book you read it in?

message 32: by Mai (new)

Mai | 25 comments Oh Carol I wish it was but it is not !!
I read Christmas very recently but I didn't find the scene thought I remember it ..could it be my imagination ?
Or maybe another story ?
the problem is that I remember Lillian and Westcliff how could I mix them with other characters ?
IT is really confusing ..

message 33: by Jessie (new)

Jessie | 11 comments Mai said, "You know,most readers raved about Sebastian and Marcus and Simon but not Matthew .But I fell in love with him because ,Unlike Marcus who is perfect ,Sebastian who is intimidating in his beauty and wit ,Simon with his ruthlessness ,Matthew was a human ."

Perfectly said, I totally agree. Matthew probably is the most "real-life" wallflower guy. Loved him.

message 34: by Julianna (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 380 comments Mai wrote: "I am crazy about Matthew too !!
He is the perfect match for Daisy .Yes they are the best couple I have ever read about .His practical nature balanced her dreamy one .He is tall ,dark and strong, s..."

Here, here! Very well said, Mai. I couldn't agree more.

The scene in the bachelor house with the key. I have just one word -- HOT!;-)

message 35: by Julianna (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 380 comments Mai wrote: "Thanks dear Carol.

you know ,I just happened to remember sth that is really bothering me .

I read all the 4 Wallflower stories last year .
And I remembered a scene that I was sure I read it ..."

Could this scene be in one of the Hathaway books? I haven't read those yet, but I hear tell that some of the Wallflowers appear again in that series.

message 36: by Jessie (new)

Jessie | 11 comments I think Daisy is preggo is The first Hathaway book Mine til Midnight!

message 37: by Mai (last edited Sep 27, 2011 02:17AM) (new)

Mai | 25 comments Hi Jessie and Julie !
I am happy that both of u agree to my assessment of Mathew..
LK is special in her talent in giving her heroes a vulnerable side, yet they still remain Hotties !!
I mean some authors really fail in creating this very realistic balance
They either make the hero so strong that he appears so unreal in his perfection and not worthy of our sympathies ..
Or they make him vulnerable in a way that makes him appear weak and not worthy of our admiration
LK succeeded in all her heros
Derek Craven had both strength and vulnerability wrapped in a very attractive bundle that we were helpless not to fall in love with him !!
So we both admire and sympathize with her males ..and of course fall head over heels for them !!
They are all yummy !!

message 38: by Mai (new)

Mai | 25 comments Jessie wrote: "I think Daisy is preggo is The first Hathaway book Mine til Midnight!"

oh Jessie could it be ?
I will grap my book and read it ALL NOW !
Besides I really miss Cam and Amelia's romance !!
BIG THANKS TO U JESSIE !!

message 39: by Mai (new)

Mai | 25 comments yes Jessie I found it !!
Thanks again sweetie

message 40: by Jessie (new)

Jessie | 11 comments Mai, glad you found it! Youre making me want to re read the whole Hathaway series again!

message 41: by Mai (new)

Mai | 25 comments When I opened Mine Till Midnight I couldn't stop myelf I read it all over again ! I really missed them ! My heart wrenched for Leo and his pain and vulnerability I loved him 10 times more than I already did !!Now I am itching to read Married by Morning !!!

message 42: by Julianna (last edited Oct 03, 2011 05:59PM) (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 380 comments Oooo, goody! I was already anticipating Mine 'Till Midnight because of Cam, but knowing that I'll get another glimpse of Matthew and Daisy really makes me want to read it now. I felt like they got shortchanged in A Wallflower Christmas. Now I can eagerly looking forward to a little more face time with them when I start the Hathaways.:-D

message 43: by Sydnee (new)

Sydnee (defygravity18) | 41 comments My Matthew is Chris Evans. He's got that all American feel...plus in Captain America he goes from a "bag of bones" to super hunk...who could be more perfect??? ;)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

message 44: by BloodRed (last edited Oct 04, 2016 07:13AM) (new)

BloodRed | 4 comments I read Matthew as Gatsby-in-England. The shady past, the false name, the name Daisy and of course, the unrequited love (sigh!). I naturally cast Leonardo DiCaprio as Matthew in my head.

description

message 45: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 4782 comments Either choice works for me! LOL!