The Manhattan Hunt Club discussion

Thanks for Joining! > Updates, Interviews, and News

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna, Group Creator (new)

Jenna (bookworm12186) | 77 comments Mod
Look here to find news on John Saul, upcoming book information, and any interviews, this moderator can find :)

message 2: by Jenna, Group Creator (new)

John Saul interviewed for America Online

John Saul's America Online Interview
February 17, 1997

AOLiveMC9: Let's get to our first question.
Question: Are you scheduled for any book signings in the San Francisco Bay area soon? Kathy
John Saul: I am not scheduled for any Bay Area signings until late summer if at all. I have been very busy finishing writing "The Blackstone Chronicles." And still have some re-writes to do on "The Presence" so I won't be touring at all for "The Blackstone Chronicles."

AOLiveMC9: Our next question comes from Pjfpear:
Question: Where do you get your ideas for your books? John Saul: Ideas for books come from practically any place...sometimes out of the nightly news. When I wrote "The God Project," fifteen years ago, the idea came from a news story involving designing human bodies. It took about twenty minutes to turn it into a concept for a book...wait a minute! Wrong book! I am talking about "Creature!" It took about twenty minutes to put together a plot line for "Creature"...based on that little tiny Dan Rather news item preview. Once the idea for a book came from spotting a town in Colorado sometimes books seem to come right out of the air...and sometimes I beat myself for weeks and cannot come up with a single good idea.

AOLiveMC9: Several aspiring writers are sending this question your way, John
Question: Are there any tips you can give to a beginning writer besides the standards like write every day and have strong characters? John Saul: Oh boy... ::laughing:: The problem with answers other than standard answers is that the standard answers are truth. The only advice I can give is to keep on writing. My main piece of non-standard advice is that I think people should write what they don't know about rather than what they do know about. And, it is always a good idea to go to Writers' Conferences. Especially the Maui Conference. Maui is probably the biggest conference in the world now... and probably gets the best collection of talent every year.

Question: Do you think you will use the serial novel format again? I am really enjoying "The Blackstone Chronicles," but I've heard a lot of complaints about the cost per installment. Not my complaint though.
John Saul: ::laughing:: I am really enjoying the serial format too. I am certainly seriously thinking about writing more about the town of Blackstone. As to the cost of the format I think it gives people an easy out if they do not like what they are reading. At least they have only spent three dollars for something they hate instead of seven dollars for something they are never going to finish. The serial format is lots of fun to do but very, very tricky. It's very difficult to keep everything straight. And when the first book of the serial is already published before the last two are finished you suddenly realize you can't go back and re-write anything earlier...::chuckling:: It has lead to some interesting traps. And some really interesting wiggles to get out of the traps. ::chuckling::

AOLiveMC9: I am sure the next question means... after yourself, of course!
Question: Mr. Saul, who are your favorite authors? John Saul: ::laughing:: I am certainly not my favorite author...I have so many favorite authors it is hard to single out anyone in particular. My all-time favorite who inspired me to be a writer were John O'Hara and Noel Coward. Both of whom are conveniently dead! My favorite genre has always been international spy thrillers. So of course I am really upset about the collapse of the Soviet Union! There is a big hole in the international spy market these days...I am very fond of Susan Isaacs. I am very fond of Richard North Patterson who I am currently reading. And the list goes on and on... I will read practically anything.

AOLiveMC9: The Yclep knows how to get his monies worth out of a question folks... :)
Question: Do you do all your own research for your books? Is there any special amount of time you give yourself for working on our books? Do you find traveling gives you more ideas? Have you had many rejections on your books? John Saul: OK, let's start from the top... I do very little research since I am paid to lie. I figure the great thing about fictions is that you can make it up as you go along...when I do need facts I do dig them up myself. I generally spend about four hours a day at the word processor. And it takes me about two months to write a full-length novel. but of course it takes a year to think up a good idea! Traveling gives me terrific ideas for locales but often an idea will come out of a locale or an old idea will fit perfectly with a locale. That has happened several times. With "The Unloved," the book was originally set in CA, and I didn't believe a word of it! Then it suddenly occurred to me if I set it in a decadent moss-laden, tree-filled swamp in South Carolina in a crumbling plantation house and filled the whole thing with the scent of magnolias it all made perfect sense! So with that book at least locale was everything.

Question: Hello Mr. Saul, it is a pleasure to have you with us...in the front of your books you have quotes from the "Book of Sorrows" I have been looking for it for a long time and don't know where to find it...can you help?
John Saul: This is the second or third time I have heard a reference to the "Book of Sorrows"...I don't recall having ever referred to it. I think Clive Barker refers to the "Book of Sorrows" which I think he wrote himself. And if anyone knows which book I referred to it in, I would love to hear about it! Apparently someone on AOL just said Dean Koontz wrote the "Book of Sorrows" and I think that's right.

Question: In the biography, it says that two films are in the works. Which books are they being based on?
John Saul: OK. There is a mini-series in the works for "Blackstone Chronicles." It will be six-hours done by ABC at the moment that is all that is in the works. But there has been interest in a lot of the other books but no deals yet.

Question: Do you usually base characters on people you know or are they all fictitious?
John Saul: ::laughing:: There are about nineteen traps in that question. For one thing authors who base characters on real people can be held liable for what they say about those people. That is not to say that certain traits of people I know haven't crept in to certain characters. Every now and then I put a real person in. Most recently the fire chief of Blackstone. Who was actually the fire chief of a little town in Washington and a dear friend.

Question: Did you see your self as a writer at a young age?
John Saul: Yes. The first person who suggested I be a writer was my seventh-grade teacher and I never really wanted to do anything else.

AOLiveMC9: LOL....
Question: Hello Mr. Saul, I just wanted to ask, why are you torturing me by releasing a book a month?...the suspense is driving me nuts. John Saul: Because I am a sadistic person! ::chuckling:: And I am personally out to get YOU, whoever you are! :-) Besides, it is fun!

Question: I read your book called "Black Lightning"...I enjoyed it very much. My question is, Is your new book anything like it? and are you planning to write any books along the same lines?
John Saul: Oh... the new book is nothing like "Black Lightening." "Black Lightning" was a real major departure for me... I don't know if I will do anything along those lines again. But if an idea that good crops up again I will certainly try to write the book!

AOLiveMC9: Can't wait to hear the answer to this question
Question: How did you come up with the name "Blackstone?" John Saul: ::laughing:: I was trying to figure out the title for the overall serial. I was trying to figure the name for the town that would have the...convey the right feeling. Since the Asylum is built of blackstone in my mind, or at least blackened stone it finally occurred to me that it was the perfect name for the town! It just seems to conjure up the right images.

AOLiveMC9: Hey, good question, Rj92083...
Question: Will "The Blackstone Chronicles" come out in hard cover after the end of the 12 episodes? John Saul: Ewwww First there is only six episodes... And there will be a hard-cover edition from the Literary Guild I think in October. And I think there will probably some kind of collected edition from Ballantyne at some point.

Question: You seem to love the east coast, but you do not live there, why is that ?
John Saul: I write ghost stories about towns with a past. And Anaheim CA is only about fifty years old. Hence no ghosts, no past, no story! The East Coast seems to be where all the neat old towns with creepy old houses are. And I wouldn't live there to save my life and I wouldn't live there to save my life!

AOLiveMC9: LOL
Question: What comes next after "Blackstone?" John Saul: After "Blackstone" comes the "Presence" which is NOT set on the East Coast. It is set on Maui. And that is all I am going to say about that.

Question: What is the longest amount of time it has taken you to write a book and what was the reason?
John Saul: The longest time......hmmmm oh boy. The longest amount of time it took me to write a book is about three months. The name of the book was Nathaniel. It took extra time because my mother was dying when I was writing it. The second longest took about the same amount of time and it took so long because the story was no damn good and I threw it away! I always find that the faster I write the better it is. Good advice to beginning writers....write FAST!

AOLiveMC9: I bet this next one will be a toughie for you to answer too, John.
Question: Hi Mr. Saul.. Welcome! at last...Of all your books, which one do you like the best? John Saul: OK... I have written so many books of so many different kinds.. that I have several favorites. "Black Lightning" is a favorite "The God Project" is a long-time favorite. "Sleep Walk" everyone but me didn't like is a favorite... and I have become increasingly fond of "The Blackstone Chronicles" as I have been writing them and I am hating the idea of leaving Blackstone. It certainly has become my favorite town of any town I have created.

message 3: by Jenna, Group Creator (new)

Part 2: America Online Interview
AOLiveMC9: Could you gaze into your crystal ball and try answering this next question, John?
Question: Do you feel that we will be seeing more serial novels from various writers in the future? John Saul: That depends a lot on how successful the "Blackstone Chronicles" are a serial novel is a huge project for a publisher to take on.... it turns out to be a lot bigger than we thought in the beginning. I know at least two other authors are thinking about serial novels, both of them very big names that I won't mention as to whether the serials will actually happen will depend entirely upon if the form turns out to be a viable form of publishing. Certainly Stephen King broke new ground for all of us and without him I don't think "Blackstone" could have happened. But of none of us can expect the kind of sales that Stephen's work always enjoys. So I guess I am the great experiment. And we will see what happens!

AOLiveMC9: Time sure flew, we have time for one more question tonight.
Question: John, I love your books! When will the next parts of "The Blackstone Chronicles" be released? John Saul: ::laughing:: There will be a new chapter or new part of "The Blackstone Chronicles" every month until June. They should be in bookstores around the 5th to the 7th of each month. And then we will see where will go from there. I certainly enjoyed doing this, it was great fun!

AOLiveMC9: Thank you so much for joining us tonight, John... you were a wonderful guest! And thanks for all the great questions from our audience. Good Night all
John Saul: I certainly enjoyed being here, thank you so much for inviting me! I hope I can come back another time!

OnlineHost: Copyright © 1997 America Online, Inc. All rights reserved.

message 4: by Jenna, Group Creator (new)

Check out January Magazine for his 1999 interview!

http://www.januarymagazine.com/profil...

message 5: by Jenna, Group Creator (new)

October 2009! John's Mohegan Sun's Winning Author's Conference (Courtesy of johnsaul.com)

message 6: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl (dustpancrazy) | 290 comments Mod
I get emails from John Saul - signed up on his website and last I heard he was taking a vacation in Hawaii this year and not publishing anything new. Hopefully he's planning on a 2011 release :-)

message 7: by Jenna, Group Creator (new)

oh geez...well he needs to update his site from good ole hawaii :)

message 8: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

The Latest News - John Saul Books to be made into Comic Books!!!!

Here's the press release:

Horror writer John Saul has written more than 36 novels since penning Suffer the Children in 1977. Most of these have been fixtures on the New York Times Best Seller List. Some have been turned into films and games.

But none of Saul's horror tales have yet been transformed into comic books. This will change, though, as Saul and Bluewater Productions team up to bring two of his horror tales to the world of sequential storytelling.

Bluewater and Saul recently signed a deal to turn both The God Project and The Blackstone Chronicles into comics. Bluewater, of course, has already made a name for itself in the horror genre. The publisher is home to the critically praised Vincent Price Presents horror anthology.

Saul said that he is looking forward to experiencing yet another first in his career.

"I've often thought many of my novels would translate well into graphic storytelling," Saul said. "I also have original projects that have been conceived specifically as graphic serial novels. I am thrilled to be exploring all of these ventures with Bluewater."

Both The Blackstone Chronicles and The God Project are favorites among Saul's fans. The God Project focuses on a curse in the town of Eastbury, Mass. Something is taking the town's youngest children, one by one. The Blackstone Chronicles focuses on a curse of a different sort: A vacant insane asylum is scheduled to be torn down and replaced with an upscale shopping mall. But the asylum won't fall so easily.

Darren Davis, president and founder of Bluewater Productions, said that he is excited to work with a writer of Saul's skills. Davis, too, is a fan of Saul's work, and has given himself more than a few sleepless nights after reading the writer's prose.

"Working with John Saul, one of my favorite writers, is a dream come true," Davis said. "My hope is that we can introduce John's work to a whole new crop of readers. I'd like to make others sleep with the lights on!"

Bluewater Productions publishes a wide variety of comic books and graphic novels. The company has received much press attention for its series of biography comics, which have told the stories behind such luminaries and celebrities as Sarah Palin, Michelle Obama, Colin Powell, Lady Gaga and Rush Limbaugh. The company, though, also publishes superhero, young-adult, horror and science-fiction comics.

For more information on Bluewater, visit the company's Web site at www.bluewaterprod.com. For more information about the company, visit www.bluewaterprod.com

About Bluewater Productions

Bluewater Productions Inc. is one of the top independent production studios of comic books, young adult books and graphic novels. Its extensive catalog of titles includes the bestsellers "10th Muse" and "The Legend of Isis" "Bluewater publishes comic books in partnership with entertainment icon William Shatner ("TekWar Chronicles"), legendary filmmaker Ray Harryhausen ("Wrath of the Titans," "Sinbad: Rogue of Mars," "Jason and the Argonauts," et al) and celebrated actor Vincent Price ("Vincent Price Presents"), Additionally, Bluewater publishes a highly successful line of biographical comics under the titles "Female Force" and "Political Power."

Bluewater aims to unite cutting-edge art and engaging stories produced by its stable of the publishing industry's top artists and writers. For more information, visit www.bluewaterprod.com.

message 9: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

WWW.JOHNSAUL.COM
A Message from John Saul

Hi,

Well, it's time for the periodic news update, and this time around, I actually have two new things:

House of Reckoning is being released in paperback this month; the week of November 21st in North America. You should be able to find it wherever books are sold.

The other exciting news is that I will be working with Bluewater Productions in adapting some of my novels into comics and graphic novels. We've already started on a couple of projects.

I hope your summer was pleasant, that Halloween was fun, and that the upcoming holidays will be good.

For those in the U.S., have a super Thanksgiving.

All best,

John Saul

message 10: by Jenna, Group Creator (new)

Dustin Crazy wrote: "The Latest News - John Saul Books to be made into Comic Books!!!!

Here's the press release:

Horror writer John Saul has written more than 36 novels since penning Suffer the Children in 1977. Most..."

yayayaya super excited. this is great! i love comics!

message 11: by Jenna, Group Creator (new)

Dustin Crazy wrote: "WWW.JOHNSAUL.COM
A Message from John Saul

Hi,

Well, it's time for the periodic news update, and this time around, I actually have two new things:

House of Reckoning is being released in paperbac..."

now he just needs a new book book.

message 12: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Yes. I'm hoping for a new release in 2011.

message 13: by Jenna, Group Creator (new)

What are you hoping for from him this time? Im hoping for another child as the villian. Maybe innocent yet deadly?

message 14: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Jenna wrote: "What are you hoping for from him this time? Im hoping for another child as the villian. Maybe innocent yet deadly?"

What I don't want is another haunted house story :-) Anything else would be fine with me. Child as the villain sounds good to me :-) If that's what you like you will like The Guardian. Have you already read Creature and The God Project?

Guardian by John Saul Creature by John Saul The God Project by John Saul

message 15: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

WWW.JOHNSAUL.COM
A Message from John Saul

Hi,

I just thought I’d send you a note to alert all of you about the availability of my books in E-book format.

With the holidays upon us, many will be getting e-book readers or iPads, iPhones, iTouches or other hand held devices and smart phones with book reader apps.

So, here is a link to a list of all my books and their availability in e-book format.

http://www.johnsaul.com/ebooklist.htm

I wish you all a very Happy Holiday and a Joyful New Year.

All best,

John Saul

message 16: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (last edited Jun 12, 2011 10:00PM) (new)

WWW.JOHNSAUL.COM
A Message from John Saul

Hi,

I hope you're all set for a great summer, although it's not sure we're going to have one in the Northwest.

Many of you have been asking if I have another book coming out soon. Right now, I'm still on hiatus, but I am experimenting with new things.

As you may be aware, I've been working with the guys at Bluewater Publishing on serial graphic novels of The Blackstone Chronicles and The God Project. What's exciting is that both stories have been updated with a few new twists and turns. It's also been exciting to see my characters in graphic form, seeing them come alive through another artist's eyes. These series should become available this Fall, and I'll keep you posted as to exact dates.

The other thing that I'm trying (because everyone has told me to) is Facebook. So, if you are on Facebook and want to take a look at my page, wall or photos go to http://www.facebook.com/pages/John-Sa.... Or just log into Facebook and search for my page by name.

Have a happy and safe Fourth of July.

All best,

John

message 17: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

WWW.JOHNSAUL.COM
A Message from John Saul

Hi,

We are getting closer to the release date of the first installment of Blackstone Chronicles in graphic novel form. The first issue is Eye for an Eye: The Doll, which will be available in November and is being published by Bluewater Productions. The next five installments are being released over the next five months.

For those of you who read Suffer the Children, Blackstone Chronicles: Eye for an Eye: The Doll has some familiar characters from Port Arbello. Also, Bluewater has updated Blackstone for the new millennium. Some of the characters actually use cell phones!

I have a mockup of the cover which you can see at: http://www.johnsaul.com/Blackstone_Co...

Also, don’t forget to check out my page on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/John-Sa...

I’ll be in touch in a couple of weeks.

All best,

John Saul

message 18: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Happy Thanksgiving and other Stuff

WWW.JOHNSAUL.COM
A Message from John Saul

Hi,
To all my North American fans: Happy Thanksgiving and to my other fans: Happy Day!

As you know, I'm experimenting with Bluewater Productions on the publishing of some comic books. In the process I am learning a lot, especially about the business of comic books. Apparently, for our first edition of Blackstone there are some glitches in the distribution.

However, The Blackstone Chronicles: An Eye for and Eye, the Doll (Volume I) is out and available. Apparently, the trick is figuring out how to get it.

I've been informed by Bluewater Productions that the best way to purchase it is to locate a comic book store in your area and contact them directly. Here is a link to a web site which is a locator for comic book stores by zip code in the U.S.: http://www.comicshoplocator.com/. Hopefully you will be able to find a copy if you are interested. When I get more information I will share it with you.

I've also received many questions about any new books. All I’m willing to say at this time is that I've started preliminary work on a project. Hopefully I will be able to share more with you in January or February. All I can say is that I'm very excited about it.

I'm also asking you to do me a favor. I'm trying to gather a little information about your involvement in electronics. So, I would appreciate it very much if you can take the time to go to this link and answer a few questions. This could lead to some very interesting things in the future. Here is the link: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/2LGVKTT

Thank you so much and enjoy your weekend.

message 19: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Message from John Saul: Early book published under another name

Hi, everyone—

You have all known for many years that there are a few books I published under pseudonyms over the years, and a lot of you have wondered what those books were, what the pseudonyms were, and why my name wasn’t on the books. Well, the time has come to pull the wraps off one of those books, namely, “A FAIRY TALE.”

“A FAIRY TALE” was one of my earliest manuscripts, and I’ve just published it as an eBook for both Kindle and Nook. But before you go clicking off to the Kindle or Nook store to buy it, I want you to understand that this is not at all the kind of book you have come to associate with my name over the past thirty-five years. (Can it really have been that long?) In fact, it is about as far as you can get from the kind of thing you’re used to from me. It’s a gay, Jewish comedy, about a young man named Solly Steinberg who lives in San Francisco in the early 1970s, and is trying to explain to his Aunt Sylvia that he isn’t going to marry any of the girls she keeps setting him up with. And that is when the fun begins.

There’s not a creaking door or threatened child anywhere in the book, and I strongly suggest you download the free sample before blowing the entire few dollars the book costs, as I’m sure it won’t be what a lot of you are looking for. Still, I wanted to let you know it’s out there in case you’re interested, and I most certainly don’t want anyone running across it and buying it in the hopes of finding a thriller of any kind, only to be bitterly disappointed when Solly and Aunt Sylvia don’t actually try to kill each other.

For those of you who are interested, take a look at it. I have no idea how many of you might enjoy it, and how many won’t, but if you buy it and don’t like it, don’t say I didn’t warn you!

Also, if you don’t have either a Kindle or a Nook, you can download the free apps for both of them for whatever devices you do have, be they PC, Apple or Android based. Finally, to find the book, search “A Fairy Tale by John Saul” at the Kindle or Barnes and Noble Nook store.

Have a great summer, and if you decide to take a look at A FAIRY TALE, I hope you have as good a time reading it as I had writing it some forty years ago

All my best,

John

message 20: by Kylie, Natural Born Devereaux (new)

Kylie (kylielowen) | 75 comments Mod
hehehe... Sounds bizarre!

message 21: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Isn't everything that John has written bizarre? :-)

message 22: by Kylie, Natural Born Devereaux (new)

Bizarre in a different way than that! A gay Jewish comedy? Seriously? hehehe

Think I will stick to the gore. Of course, I would probably buy it just to stick on my Saul shelf if he releases it in hardback or paperback. I'm not a digi-book sort of person. ;)

message 23: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Yeah I also like books printed on paper pages :-) Not a big fan of e-books.

message 24: by Kylie, Natural Born Devereaux (new)

Me neither.

OH! I was going to ask you too... do you have the audiobook of Creature read by Robert Englund (aka Freddy Kruger)? I am totally gonna buy that someplace. I'm sure it is hard to find by now, but that is just awesome! ;)

message 25: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

I had no idea Freddy Kruger narrated a John Saul title :-) I've loved Nightmare on Elm Street since second grade when I discovered it.

message 26: by Kylie, Natural Born Devereaux (new)

I'm a horror movie fanatic and adore horror comedies for the most part (Sleepaway Camp 2 & 3 and Basket Case 2 & 3 are particular favorites). Robert Englund is so good with horror comedy... love him! :)

I found the listing on Barnes & Noble... maybe it's not terribly hard to find after all! :D

Creature - audiobook

message 27: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Kylie wrote: "I found the listing on Barnes & Noble... maybe it's not terribly hard to find after all! :D

Creature - audiobook
"

Available on Audio Cassette - too funny :-)

message 28: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Kylie wrote: "I'm a horror movie fanatic and adore horror comedies for the most part (Sleepaway Camp 2 & 3 and Basket Case 2 & 3 are particular favorites). Robert Englund is so good with horror comedy... love hi..."

I've never watched those - they are funny and scary? I watched of the Final Destination movies and found that to be both funny and scary :-)

message 29: by Kylie, Natural Born Devereaux (new)

Cassette... very old school! That's why I figured it would be hard to find. I saw an add for it in the back of one of my old Saul books (perhaps it was Nathaniel). ;)

Final Destination was pretty amusing... never saw the sequels.

And yes... Both of those series started out with one fairly straight-forward horror movie, and then went comedy horror. The kills in the Sleepaway movies are particularly amusing. For instance, the kid that lights firecrackers all the time gets a rather Tales from the Crypt style death: the killer puts firecrackers up his nose while he's sleeping, lights them, and blows his face off. ;)

The lines are ridiculous too. The killer has a quirky sense of humor. I would really recommend watching the first one though... the shock ending is amazing, and the 2nd one gives it away. hehe

The basket case movies are just ludicrous! Super hard to explain the humor... you would have to see it to believe it. ;)

message 30: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

I will surely have to keep those in mind :-)

I am old school (child of the 80's) but CD's are way better than cassettes. People still make fun of me when I break out my CD Walkman on break at work and the other day I was out walking at the park and I usually keep my CD player in my bag and people don't see it except when I have to change batteries or discs and a little boy saw the CD Walkman and asked him mom what it was.

Also my neighbors dog was very interested in my walkman she said the dog had never seen one before :-)

message 31: by Kylie, Natural Born Devereaux (new)

I still have a discman. ;) I have mp3s, but I just listen to them on my computer. hehe

I'm a child of the 80s too, but I was a teen in the 90s... so I relate more to the 90s than 80s I suppose. Still, I remember buying all of my first albums on cassette. Switching to cd was a pain. ;)

On the other hand... I do collect vinyl. I think that anything that came out on record originally sounds better on vinyl. Much warmer. :)