The Manhattan Hunt Club discussion

Nathaniel
This topic is about Nathaniel
The Books > Nathaniel (Group Read - May/June 2012)

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna, Group Creator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jenna (bookworm12186) | 77 comments Mod
For a hundred years, the people of Prairie Bend have whispered Nathaniel's name in wonder and fear. Some say he is a folktale, created to frighten children on cold winter nights. Some swear he is a terrifying spirit returned to avenge the past. But soon . . . very soon . . . some will learn that Nathaniel lives still--that he is darkly, horrifyingly real. Nathaniel--he is the voice that calls to young Michael Hall across the prairie night . . . the voice that draws the boy into the shadowy depths of the old, crumbling, forbidden barn . . . that chanting, compelling voice he will follow faithfully beyond the edge of terror.

message 2: by Jenna, Group Creator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jenna (bookworm12186) | 77 comments Mod
Nathanial was actually one of my very favorites of Saul's I have read so far. I loved that guessing if Nathaniel was real or if it was just a figment of the little main character's imagination. If it was his lineage connecting him to this ghost or something more....

Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl (dustpancrazy) | 290 comments Mod
Nathaniel, first published in 1984, will be featured as a group read during June 2011. Please consider joining us :-)

Nathaniel by John Saul
Nathaniel by John Saul

message 4: by Erica (new)

Erica (bookpsycho) | 82 comments Of course my library doesn't have it, just looked. I have a month to find it. Curse you Fort Vancouver Regional Library!!!

message 5: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (last edited May 04, 2011 10:32PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Damn it! Just found out the Audiobook of Nathaniel is Abridged - I hate abridged - why do they even produce abridged? I don't understand it. well, we'll see how I do reading the Homing - I may have to actually read read Nathaniel.

Michael Richards (michaelc1) I just picked up my copy of Nathaniel today. I'm ready to jump on the train when it pulls out of the station on June 1.

Mike wrote: "I just picked up my copy of Nathaniel today. I'm ready to jump on the train when it pulls out of the station on June 1."

You're welcome to start early if you want or you can hold off til June whatever you decide. Just use Spoiler Alerts as needed for those of us behind you on this journey :-)

William (wmcc) I also just received my copy of Nathaniel today,whether i get around to reading it though is a different matter.I'm currently reading the monstrosity that is Kings "Under The Dome" and it's taking me forever to get through.I am enjoying it though and really want to see it through to the end.Ah damn my slow reading lol.

I've been listening on audio - enjoying the story. Reminds me of the town I grew up in - they don't like you to leave because of family connections :-)

Also (view spoiler)

Can't figure out if the grandfather Amos is a good guy or a bad guy :-) and every kid needs a dog like Shadow right?

Finished Nathaniel Today. I was disappointed in the ending. It seemed like the story was built up really well and then just crumbled at the end without a satisfactory conclusion. I give it 3 stars.

William (wmcc) Dustin Crazy wrote: "Finished Nathaniel Today. I was disappointed in the ending. It seemed like the story was built up really well and then just crumbled at the end without a satisfactory conclusion. I give it 3 stars."

I have to disagree Dustin,I liked the ending,well the last 40 pages or so,the ending really surprised me and IMO saved the book.I enjoyed the beginning and the introduction of the town and and creepy old snow bound story,but from then on the story dragged and took forever to get going.Overall it was still worth reading and I also gave it 3 stars.

I listened to the abridged audio, so that is probably why I felt that way :-)

Michael Richards (michaelc1) William wrote: "Dustin Crazy wrote: "Finished Nathaniel Today. I was disappointed in the ending. It seemed like the story was built up really well and then just crumbled at the end without a satisfactory conclusio..."

I'd have to concur with William. I thought there was a good buildup to a satisfying end. i was also surprised by the revelations at the end of the book, plus I liked that the epilogue left things open ended. I've only read two of Saul's books, but I liked this one a bit more that the other.

Well, Damn it. I think I need to find me a printed unabridged copy of this book so I can read the ending :-)

Nathaniel has been chosen as our group read for May/June 2012 :-) I bought a copy at the thrift store so will try to read the unabridged printed copy for full effect this year.

message 17: by Kylie, Natural Born Devereaux (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kylie (kylielowen) | 75 comments Mod
So this is the story for May-June 2011 AND 2012?

I reread about 3 chapters of this a few months ago and got sidetracked by a Robert McCammon book. ;)

It's a good book to be sure! I will reread it with you all if it really is the new book of the month.

Yes. We really don't do very good on our group reads. The person who started this group, wanted a group read every month then she left after two months and hasn't been seen since. I tried to keep up with the monthly group read but it was too much, so we switched to every other month, making the group reads last two months, but still not very many of us end up participating. Any John Saul title is eligible for nomination. Here is the thread for nominating titles:
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/4...

We're already behind on picking the July/August group read and I don't think anyone actually nominated anything but I'm gonna check that thread right now and we may just choose between some previous nominations that didn't win. I like to give plenty of time to get the book for those who do want to participate.

As for Nathaniel, last year I listened to it on audiobook, which is only available in abridged format and I feel I lost a lot of the story that way, so I'd like to read the whole story....not sure if it will happen during June or not. I read slow, that's why I usually do audiobooks. We'll see.

message 19: by Kylie, Natural Born Devereaux (new) - rated it 5 stars

I forgot about rereading Nathaniel... I got into some Robert R. McCammon books. ;)

June just started though... I will read it before the end. Regardless, we could still discuss it. I've read it some 3-4 times already.

Yeah, I don't think I'm gonna try to read it this month.

message 21: by Kylie, Natural Born Devereaux (new) - rated it 5 stars

I'm about half through it now. :) Just got to the part where they move into the new house. I forgot some of the details...

...like the dog knocking the cruel grandfather down and peeing in his face. hehehe

Kylie wrote: "...like the dog knocking the cruel grandfather down and peeing in his face. hehehe
"

Just the mention of that makes me smile :-)

message 23: by Kylie, Natural Born Devereaux (new) - rated it 5 stars

Made me smile when I read it too! :D

For some reason, I can never quite remember how this novel ends (even though I've read it 4 times at least). I finished it again over the weekend, and I think I've figured out why:

The ending is not as satisfactory as the story itself. The end was rushed and a bit weak. Mixing the real and the supernatural was not executed as well as it might have been. Introducing what is truly one of the best characters in the book at the VERY end was questionable. The story of the "current" Nathaniel was great... but lasted one chapter. Before that, there was no mention of his life, living conditions, etc. Kinda made me wish that it had been a story about him rather than the Hall family.

I still like the story alot (particularly the ghost story-- killing off the children to feed everyone else), but the end seems like sort of an afterthought.

Was worth re-reading again though.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Nathaniel (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

John Saul (other topics)