Axis Mundi X discussion

New Member Intros > Long time lurker, first time poster

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nadine (new)

Nadine Hi from Massachusetts. You look like a group of fun, light-hearted people, just the sort for me. I hope to be as entertaining as you all are, and interesting, too.

I'm a librarian, and I could once say that books are my business. But now I have to books, programming, DVD's, CD's, Playaways, technology and the Internet are all the things that drive my work day. With the odd strange incident of the socially non-adjusted in the Reading Room thrown in.

Please be kind to a newbie! Thanks.

message 2: by Jackie "the Librarian", Cool Star Trek Nerd (new)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 1818 comments Mod
Hey, I'm a librarian, too! I know exactly what you mean about the multiplying formats.
Welcome, Nadine!

message 3: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony Welcome to the axis, Nadine!

My first question:

What's a playaway?

You'll find I'm too easy to look up these things myself, so I'm glad we have multiple librarians around.

message 4: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

Charissa (dakinigrl) | 3620 comments Mod
you're easy? really?

damn... why do I live so far from the Great Lakes?

message 5: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony Hahahahahah....man, was that a slip.

Too lazy...easy and lazy, Char. You'll have to do all the work.

message 6: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

you mean, put in quarters and ride you like a mechanical pony? Cool! I'll bring my spurs.

message 7: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony I'm afraid to ask where you'll put the quarters.

message 8: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

don't worry, you'll be blindfolded. It won't hurt.

Much.

message 9: by Jackie "the Librarian", Cool Star Trek Nerd (new)

A Playaway is a pre-loaded mp3 player with one book in it, that you check out from the library. I've got a sample of one in my office, but they aren't something we have for patrons in my library system.

Playaway Digital Audiobook

message 10: by Cyril (new)

Cyril I grew up in Mass, Burlington to be exact.

What sort of things do the "socially non-adjusted" do? I just want to make sure I don't fall into that category.

Welcome.

message 11: by Nadine (new)

Nadine Good morning all. Yes, a Playaway is a book loaded onto an MP3 player. We have them available for circulation in my library, and they're popular with walkers. They don't weigh as much as a CD-player does.

Many libraries are falling out of the stereotype of shushing, book laden archives. Now you can get books in a variety of formats. The Next Big Thing we'll be doing after Labor Day is downloading books to patrons' PC's. They can then burn them on a CD, or sync them to their own iPod or MP3 player, or just listen to them on their PC.

I'm a public librarian, and libraries are one of the last places people can loiter. Cyril, I'm going to assume you bathe occasionally, don't mutter to yourself (much), don't go up and hug perfect strangers, don't walk around armed (and sometimes dangerous), have learned that saying "excuse me" when a staff person is waiting on someone else to get you in first isn't going to do so, don't leave your children with perfect strangers for hours on end in a public building and then be insulted when called on it, Oh, I could go on, but you get the idea.

Like I said, the job isn't just about books anymore. And I welcome tangents. Here's one: the city I'm from is on Boston's North Shore, and there is an annoying little rhyme that goes with it. Cyril will probably remember it.

message 12: by Hayley (new)

Hayley | 576 comments Hi Nadine

Welcome!!

It sounds like you have an interesting job, our libraries, I'm from Britain, are still quite old fashioned and the last time I was in, I was told to shush when I was looking for a book - I'd asked a guy standing next to me, he pointed in the right direction - it wasn't a librarain who shushed me either but a member of the general public. If I want peace and quiet while reading I tend to lock myself in my room - guarenteed peace and quiet.

message 13: by Cyril (new)

Cyril Cyril, I'm going to assume you bathe occasionally, don't mutter to yourself (much), don't go up and hug perfect strangers, don't walk around armed (and sometimes dangerous), have learned that saying "excuse me" when a staff person is waiting on someone else to get you in first isn't going to do so, don't leave your children with perfect strangers for hours on end in a public building and then be insulted when called on it...

Well thank goodness I only do about five of those things.

Lynn, Lynn, city of sin, you never come out the way you went in.

message 14: by Beth A (new)

Beth A | 38 comments Hey, summer lurker signing on as well. Hi.

Thanks to Paul (what other Paul, you tell me...) for writing on this sight and catching my attention. Thanks to Charissa for letting me lurk (I asked, I'm polite until pissed off, then I'm super polite and super pissed off).

I've been flamed recently and did not deserve it, nor did I participate in any retaliation except for indulging in a red feathered hat. Please, be nice, be concise, and I'm in for the ride (rice?), thanks.

Beth from Cleveland

(not as bad as it seems, the city that is,...and please, if you must call me a name, don't use Beth-Peth, I can't take it).

message 15: by Jackie "the Librarian", Cool Star Trek Nerd (new)

Hi super-polite Beth! I'm sorry you were flamed, but I'd love to see you in that red feathered hat.
Okay, no Beth-Peth. Gotcha.

message 16: by Beth A (new)

Beth A | 38 comments Thx for the welcome!

Beth

I could change my avatar with "The" hat on...???