College Students! discussion

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emily (new)

Emily *sorry this post is so long!!!*

I need some advice. Although I hardly have a "problem", I am totally at an ends to what the solution is and would really really appreciate your help :)

It has been my ambition for a while to become well traveled and it looks as though my dreams might finally come true if I'm able to organize myself. My friend is going to europe in Jan for three weeks and has invited me to join her. I have another friend who will be in australia in march and we have been talking about traveling for a little bit after she finishes her studyabroad program, but I would like to stay longer than two weeks and so was considering wwoofing for a few weeks, lukily i found a friend who is interested in doing that with me.

Now I know that I am very lucky to be able to travel at all. Believe me! I didn't go on an airplane until I was 14, i went out of the country for the first time last month. This is a pretty big deal for me. My problem is coordinating everything. Right now I'm working at a cafe. I just go the job a couple weeks ago. When i was hired I told them I was going to be in ny for two weeks and so don't feel bad about that. I did ask for a few days off this month so i could visit my sister. I'm not taking time off in nov, but i don't know how to tell them, "besides that 10 day vacation I'm taking in december, I'm going to need 21 days off in january oh and how about I'm gone all of march and maybe some of april?"

On the otherhand, this is just a little min. wage job that a high school kid could do and i shouldn't be putting my plans on hold for it, so i should just quit in jan before i go on vacation right? But then what do i do for the whole month of feb? and what about the rest of april and may? Not only will i probably be bored I will also need that money for my traveling and language classes I'm starting. Thats over 2,000 dollars I wouldn't be earning. Ahh i know I'm rambling.

I guess my question is, should I try to keep my job and maybe only go for a couple weeks to australia/nz, should i try to keep my job and do a full month or more, or should i quit my job next january?

Sorry if i sounded whiney or spoiled, I'm just confused what to do with these great opportunities and how to fit them into real life!

message 2: by Shwetika (new)

Shwetika | 72 comments if i were you then I'll tell them that i'm going to need 21 days off in Jan at 1st and then after that in Feb. I would have told them that i'm quitting or may be ask then for April off too but I think if you'll ask for off they will probably fire you by themselves.

message 3: by Adam (new)

Adam | 83 comments I think you should probably tell your manager the kind of opportunity that has presented itself to you. Play it up as this is one of your big dreams type of thing. Say that you totally understand why they wouldn't want to keep you on and maybe try to work out a compromise that works for both of you. If not, say that you'd be willing to quit in January to do the travelling you want to do. But if they're okay with the two week option, and you do need the money, then I'd say agree with that compromise. You don't have to travel all at once, you could always go back and visit the rest of Australia/NZ. That's my two cents.

message 4: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
I had a similar situation. I worked a second job at Dillards. It was coming on the holiday season, and my high school reunion was the day after Thanksgiving. Okay, try to get Black Friday off from any retail place. Anyways, Dillards policy was no time off from Thanksgiving to Christmas (vacation time). I talked to my manager and let her know I needed that day off, that I knew that the policy did not let me take it, so that my last day would be the 15th(or something) of November. I did this in early October, so they had plenty of time to rehire. The next day at work, she said I had that day off work. :)

I know it isn't a fully month or whatever, but maybe just let them know with plenty of time (more than the two weeks customary) that you need this time off. Then leave it to the manager to decide if that is a schedule he/she could work with. If not, then tell them your other option would be to put in your notice.

Good luck!

message 5: by Sashana (last edited Oct 06, 2010 01:57PM) (new)

Sashana Emily, are you paying for the trips personally? The first thing you should really ask yourself is “Can I afford this?” Because if you are then you should think of the bigger picture and probably keep the job, think about what’s going to happen AFTER the trip. There’s going to be a little adjustment period and I’m sure the money will come in handy. Plus, you're going to need spending money for the trips. I know you’re excited, because I would be too (I’ve never been anywhere either), but you have to think about the financial aspects first. Because you really don’t want to be left with a bunch of bills, so before you even quit your job you should explain everything to your boss and see if you guys can come up with an agreement. I’m pretty sure that with this economy your co-workers wouldn’t mind some overtime. I’m probably coming across as a downer, but seriously if you have every aspect figured out then go for it! Enjoy life and all that. But if not, just remember that you can always travel

message 6: by Mandee (new)

Mandee (amandalinajanel) | 378 comments It seems like you would rather go to oz/nz for a month (or more) at least right?

And I'm guessing there are plenty of other min wage jobs you could do during the month of Feb, or even temp jobs? After you get back in March or April are you planning on needing time off again? Because if not them you could look at coming back to this cafe if you really wanted to/really like it there.

From the cafe's end it seems unfair to ask too much of them, and from your end you yourself realize that fulfilling your dream is more important than your current job. So I think you should just be upfront with them, like Tami said, and tell them this is when and how long you're going to be gone and you understand if that doesn't work for them, and so on... Who knows, maybe they'll be cool with it.

I think it's important that IF you can do this trip (money etc isn't that big of an issue) and the only thing holding you back is this min wage job then you definitely should go. But if money is a big issue and you'd be racking up tons of debt to make this happen then I don't think that would be a great idea.

Good luck!

message 7: by Emily (new)

Emily Thank you so much for all your advice!! It has really helped me out. I appreciate everyone who took time to read my very long post and offer suggestions!

message 8: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Emily, what did you decide?