The History Book Club discussion

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Jul 28, 2013 07:43AM) (new)

Bentley | 44207 comments Mod
Since I also have an iPAD, I would be happy to discuss with fellow iPAD owners this device as well as applications that support it.

Please feel free to discuss any topic applicable to the iPAD.

message 2: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Craig Well, I bought a entry-level iPad. It should be hear in a week. How does the goodreads and kindle app work for it?

message 3: by Becky (new)

Becky (httpsbeckylindrooswordpresscom) | 1217 comments Is this an iPad 3? Cool! Congratulations! (no matter the model)

Download the Kindle app from the app store or from Amazon.

Goodreads is simply an address on your Safari browser.

Sync the bookmarks by connecting the iPad to your computer.

(This is the way it's done on a Mac - I think it's the same.)

message 4: by Bea (new)

Bea | 1830 comments I love my iPad. The Kindle app works great. Apple has arranged it so that you cannot download books from the iPad itself, though. You have to download from the Amazon Kindle store on a computer. Amazon then sends the book wirelessly to your iPad.

The Goodreads app seems feeble when compared to the actual site. I, like Becky, prefer to use the Safari browser on the iPad to get to Google.

I may not know the right tricks but I have found it very difficult, if not impossible, to add images and videos to a post using the iPad.

That said, I spend more time on my iPad than I do on my computer and they are usually in the same room!

message 5: by Bryan (last edited May 30, 2012 09:01AM) (new)

Bryan Craig Thanks, it is an iPad2 (Wi-Fi only). I expect I will use it often at home and around with a wi-fi signal.

Interesting. Amazon & Apple: this is what happens when everyone doesn't play along in the sandbox.

Do I have this right?: download the Amazon book to my Windows computer. I hook up my ipad to the computer and download the book to my ipad.

I read somewhere you can go to the Amazon store via Safari and buy them there and download it to the ipad (and your kindle).

message 6: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

I do it that way; but I do not have a windows computer.

message 7: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Craig Which way, Bentley, through the browser or download book to a computer?

message 8: by Becky (last edited May 30, 2012 09:56AM) (new)

Becky (httpsbeckylindrooswordpresscom) | 1217 comments Bea wrote: "I love my iPad. The Kindle app works great. Apple has arranged it so that you cannot download books from the iPad itself, though. You have to download from the Amazon Kindle store on a computer...."

I download from the Amazon store via the iPad. In iPad Safari go to the Amazon store and then buy and download to the iPad directly. No need for the computer.

The thing that changed is that you used to be able to access the Kindle store from the Kindle app within the iPad. Now you have tg go over to the Safari browser and do it. - True with all apps (I think). You can't access non-Apple stores via the apps. Go to non-apple stores via the browser.

message 9: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Craig Thanks, Becky, this makes sense.

My wife will be using mine for awhile, because I dropped hers (top of line version with 3G) in the lake by accident :-(. So we are trying to dry it out, but if not, we will get her a replacement.

message 10: by Becky (new)

Becky (httpsbeckylindrooswordpresscom) | 1217 comments Bryan wrote: "Thanks, it is an iPad2 (Wi-Fi only). I expect I will use it often at home and around with a wi-fi signal."

The iPad2 is great. I can cut and paste and it's almost multi-task - I keep the greeting template on the Notes app (comes with it) and then, using the screen, touch and copy. Close the Notes, open the Safari to the Goodreads page and touch the screen. You will see the tiny menu to paste and - voila!

Safari opens where it was closed last. No "home page screen." So if I see someone has posted an introduction message I close the Safari (just click the side button) and open the Notes. Copy the template. When I go back to the Safari then Goodreads is open and ready. It's pretty slick when you get the hang of it. I do any little changes on the Goodreads page. Touch where you want to start typing and that's where the keyboard pops up and you can. I haven't found that much I can't do - if there is something, I don't remember what it is.

message 11: by Becky (new)

Becky (httpsbeckylindrooswordpresscom) | 1217 comments I got the intro template to the Notes by sending myself an email and downloading it on the iPad. Then I did a copy and paste to a new Notes page.

message 12: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Craig Becky wrote: "I got the intro template to the Notes by sending myself an email and downloading it on the iPad. Then I did a copy and paste to a new Notes page."

Great idea, Becky, very helpful. Thanks!

message 13: by Becky (new)

Becky (httpsbeckylindrooswordpresscom) | 1217 comments If the links get jumbled or cut in the mail and cut/paste process, just open Safari and go to where the correct links should lead. Then copy the correct url close Safari, open Notes and paste. (I can't remember if I had to do this or not - the links are correct and ready on my Notes template - I can see the whole url and I've used it more than once.)

I'm also on Mac only - since 1994 or so - but that shouldn't make any difference.

The only time I sync my iPad is to update the bookmarks to be like on my desktop. I don't have a laptop. I've gone through a couple of them and just didn't need one this time - yet. I might...

One downside to the iPad2 is that you can't print stuff or download photos to it without little converter devices. You can take photos on the iPad though - they're nice. Movies are great - You're going to be a terror with your new baby! (he he) Take little movie and send to family. I've got snatches of volleyball games with my granddaughters.

One interesting thing I do is when I'm on my desktop and come across some cool recipe, I copy it to a Pages document (I'm sure Word would work) and then put it in Dropbox. When I'm at the store with my iPad I can check out my recipe. (he he)

It's also been handy for going to the library and trying to remember what I want to read next . I usually buy books but I'm not averse to the library. I just check out my page of upcoming reading schedule. Voila - I know what to look for. But I could keep a list on the Notes page, too. :-)

Sorry for the ramble - I'm so glad you got an iPad. Disclaimer - I have no stock in Apple. :-(

Also, I have no cell phone to speak of - only a pre-pay because I don't use it but I want it in case of emergency and to use when in ND.

Sorry for the ramble -

message 14: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Craig Lots to learn, but I really enjoyed doing basic stuff on my wife's. I will have to explore Dropbox and notes, etc.

message 15: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Bryan wrote: "Thanks, Becky, this makes sense.

My wife will be using mine for awhile, because I dropped hers (top of line version with 3G) in the lake by accident :-(. So we are trying to dry it out, but if ..."

You might as well get the replacement now - it sounds like one of my dog stories. Even though you think it is not dead (and I hate to say dead in the water - smile) - it usually is. I guess you will be looking for another one for yourself (smile).

And I download directly to the iPad.

message 16: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Craig Yeah, I'm not too optimistic, either. It actually is slowly getting better after a week in silica, but I don't think it will be 100%.

message 17: by Michael (new)

Michael Flanagan (loboz) I was wondering if any one has yet purchased one of the Enhanced Kindle books for the Ipad yet. If so are they worth the little bit extra they cost.

message 18: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Craig Hmmm, I might look into one of those...

message 19: by Becky (new)

Becky (httpsbeckylindrooswordpresscom) | 1217 comments I got the enhanced version of Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller. This is a retelling of the Iliad from the pov of Patrocles, buddy to Achilles.

At first I didn't think the enhanced version was worth the money but looking back it was rather nice to have a couple of the extra items. It contains an author interview broken into several little segment, many little audio extracts and a glossary of the gods, mortals, ships and armor. The glossary was very nice to have. I skipped the author interviews but maybe they would have been enlightening. I wasn't all that taken with the book and that probably makes a difference.

It was $14.99 but the main book is 384 pages and not yet available in paperback so that makes a difference in the price, too.

The ebooks are getting better and better. The Greater Journey had all those color photos of the artworks. They really were nice. I can easily see a time when animations might be included in some books - the westward expansion of the US for instance. Some books might already have this.

message 20: by Becky (new)

Becky (httpsbeckylindrooswordpresscom) | 1217 comments Bentley wrote: "And I download directly to the iPad. ."

I meant you can't download photos from a camera directly to the iPad. I download books to it. I download images from the web to it. I just can't download directly from an external camera without a little converter device because there's no port for that (as far as I know).

message 21: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Craig e-books are getting better and better, in large part due to the better readers and tablets. I had a Rocket e-book back in the late 90s, and it was pretty cool, but the whole thing collapsed until Amazon came along.

message 22: by Tom (new)

Tom There is an history channel app that came out last year about the civil war called 'the civil war today'. It provides daily civil war news from 150 years ago.

message 23: by G (new)

G Hodges (glh1) | 901 comments On twitter, there is a WWII group that gives 'realtime' tweets from WWII Britain. The evacuation of Dunkirk was riveting. @RealTimeWWII

message 24: by Alisa (new)

Alisa (mstaz) I am a relatively new iPad owner and am finding the goodreads app to be almost useless. I noticed some comments earlier in this thread which suggests bypassing it by logging onto GR directly from the web browser as the best option. Maybe I am missing something though, do others find the GR app useful for something besides scanning a book and adding it to your shelves? Any and all tips appreciated. Thanks!

message 25: by Tomerobber (new)

Tomerobber | 334 comments Well on my iTouch the app works better and you can view notifications when you tap on a message . . that doesn't work on any of my iPads or my iPad mini. On my mini freq. the keyboard doesn't register any key strokes . . . I have to close down the app and re-open it.
Usually I just go to the bookmark in Safari and visit the site that way.

message 26: by G (new)

G Hodges (glh1) | 901 comments I recently got an iPad and the app really is useless, IMHO. I also just go to the website in Safari.

message 27: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Craig I don't like the app, either. It actually went through a major upgrade, but I got frustrated with it.

message 28: by Alisa (new)

Alisa (mstaz) Thanks all. I also posted a note to the goodreads feedback thread about this but suspect it is low on the list of things to fix anytime soon. If I hear anything to the contrary I will let you know. I think I will go with logging on through Safari.

message 29: by Walt (new)

Walt O'Hara | 11 comments Agreed to the general points so far. I own an Ipad 2 WiFi.. it's a game changer. I prefer Epub format and usually read them in the IBooks app. I do use the Kindle app on the Ipad quite a bit, though-- I have a good opinion of it. Usually I order a book through the Amazon website and have it delivered wirelessly to my Ipad. I don't understand the purpose of the Goodreads app-- it seems limited and lacks a lot of features I take for granted on the Goodreads website.

message 30: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Craig I know, Goodreads needs to do a redesign (well, another one since they just did one). Sigh.

message 31: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

20 best iPhone and iPad apps this week
djay 2, Bloodmasque, Sago Mini Doodlecast, Treehouse, Frontback, Todoist, Artistico, MOTD Magazine, Totally Pregnant, Sky Tourist and more

It's time for our weekly roundup of brand new and notable apps for iPhone, iPod touch and iPad devices.

It covers apps and games, with the prices referring to the initial download: so (Free) may mean (Freemium) in some cases. There's a separate roundup for Android apps, which was published earlier in the day.

For now, read on for this week's iOS selection

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/...

message 32: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

How many folks are doing their reading on their iPad or Kindle?

message 33: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

The Case of the iPad: Mobile Literacies in Education

The Case of the iPad Mobile Literacies in Education by Cathy Burnett by Cathy Burnett (no photo)

Synopsis:

This book brings together an international group of literacy studies scholars who have investigated mobile literacies in a variety of educational settings. Approaching mobility from diverse theoretical perspectives, the book makes a significant contribution to how mobile literacies, and tablets in particular, are being conceptualised in literacy research. The book focuses on tablets, and particularly the iPad, as a prime example of mobile literacies, setting this within the broader context of literacy and mobility.

The book provides inspiration and direction for future research in mobile literacies, based upon 16 chapters that investigate the relationship between tablets and literacy in diverse ways. Together they address the complex and multiple forces associated with the distribution of the technologies themselves and the texts they mediate, and consider how apps, adults and children work together as iPads enter the mesh of practices and material arrangements that constitute the institutional setting.

message 34: by Rohit (new)

Rohit (rohitraut) | 78 comments My 2011 i-pad 2 is still working, but the only problem is that it doesn't connect to Wifi. I use it to read e-books at night. Its such a cool device, I don't think a tablet of some other brand would be able to survive for 7 years.

message 35: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

That is probably true Rohit - I kind of like the features of the new expensive kindle - waterproof - able to read clearly in glare if you are outside or near water, audible ready, wi fi. But the iPads are nice because of their flexibility. Wifi is important for me.

message 36: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Raymond Williams on Culture and Society

Raymond Williams on Culture & Society Essential Writings by Jim McGuigan by Raymond Williams Raymond Williams

Synopsis:

-The most important Marxist cultural theorist after Gramsci, Williams' contributions go well beyond the critical tradition, supplying insights of great significance for cultural sociology today... I have never read Williams without finding something worthwhile, something subtle, some idea of great importance-
- Jeffrey C. Alexander, Professor of Sociology, Yale University

Celebrating the significant intellectual legacy and enduring influence of Raymond Williams, this exciting collection introduces a whole new generation to his work.

Jim McGuigan reasserts and rebalances Williams' reputation within the social sciences by collecting and introducing key pieces of his work.

Providing context and clarity he powerfully evokes the major contribution Williams has made to sociology, media and communication and cultural studies.

Powerfully asserting the on-going relevance of Williams within our contemporary neoliberal and digital age, the book:

Includes texts which have never been anthologized - Williams' work both biographically and historically

Provides a comprehensive introduction to Williams' social-scientific work

Demonstrates the enduring relevance of cultural materialism.

Original and persuasive this book will be of interest to anyone involved in theoretical and methodological modules within sociology, media and communication studies and cultural studies.

Review and Commentary:

According to Journalism Professor at Columbia University - Todd Gitlin - "This is an inaugural lecture Raymond Williams gave in 1974, when he assumed a professorship in drama at Cambridge University.

He’s one of the most fertile minds when it comes to media in the last century. Basically he’s saying that it’s extremely odd, and yet central, to the form of civilization that has evolved, that there’s so much drama.

And what he means by drama is not simply normal plays, but everything from advertising to television serials, to the contents of newspapers and magazines. He died in 1988 before a lot of the new technology we have now appeared; he had not encountered the iPhone.

But he anticipates a life in which people are immersed in narrative nonstop. I would add sound, or song, as another important component. This article is, at least to my way of thinking, the earliest statement of the point that quantity becomes quality.

The quantity of a certain kind of media experience creates a different way of life, which is in fact ours. Williams directed us into the whole problem of media saturation as a phenomenon worthy of treatment in its own right. -- Journalism Professor at Columbia University - Todd Gitlin in interview with Five Books