Slave Girl of Gor (Gor, #11) Slave Girl of Gor discussion

Terrible....

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Dolores Portalatin If the psychological aspects of being made a slave and the slow changes caused by Stockholm syndrome were explored, the book would have been a thousand times better. Instead the women in the book act in a completely unrealistic way.

The author seems like a 13 year old boy afraid and ignorant of women

message 2: by Red (last edited Jun 10, 2011 10:05AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Red Haircrow Dolores wrote: "women in the book act in a completely unrealistic way.
..."

That's because it was a fantasy series and really not directed for female readers at the time, though it does have a really large cult following now of both genders. Clubs, role-playing etc. because some do recognize for what it is: fantasy, and they find it intriguing to pretend. It wasn't intended to be a psychologically explorative work.

I found myself intrigued with it as a teenager and had most of the 20+ series. When I went back and flipped through one a few years ago, sure I found it humorous in it's way, but that's part of some of the niché genres of exaggerated "hero" adventures.

message 3: by Sally (new)

Sally Red wrote: "That's because it was a fantasy series and really not directed for female readers at the time, though it does have a rea..."

Absolutely agreed. I read most of the novels while in highschool, and it was definitely part taboo/forbidden fantasy, and part pulp adventure. On the one hand, I thrilled at the adventures of Tarl Cabot and, on the other hand, I longed to be one of his kajira. It's cliched and dated, but I still like to revisit them for pure (perverse) pleasure.

Dolores Portalatin I'm not saying the entire series is bad, but this particular book is not very good. Most fans of the gor series would agree that the adventures of tarl cabot are much more interesting than an unrealistic portrayal of a raped virgin obsessed with her "master". I'm just saying, it could have been written better. Women do not instantly fall in love with someone after being raped... And this belief is actually a form of psychosis

I got nothing against bondage and sex, etc. I was just disstasfied with this book. (er... maybe that is the wrong word...) :P

Lady its a book about a world where female slavery is the norm. Its a fantasy. Why would you even read it in the first place if thats a concept that you can't handle? Go back to reading Harry Potter if it bothers you that much.

Dolores Portalatin Darkrose wrote: "its a book about a world where female slavery is the norm. Its a fantasy. Why would you even read it in the first place if that's a concept that you can't handle? Go back to reading Harry Potter if ..."

There is no reason for you to personally attack me. Read my post again. I never said I was against female slavery portrayed in fantasy. I said I thought it was poorly executed in this particular book.

I didn't like the unrealistic reactions of the women, and would have liked it more if the female character was less one dimensional. There is a HUGE difference between a female character that is written realistically, and one written poorly.

There is no reason for you be up in arms over my observation of the book's quality of writing. It is an observation, not the moralistic attack you seem to think I am making.

Women do not fall instantly in love with a man after having sex with them. Its not realistic, no matter what the story and setting is. And if a book happens to portray women unrealistically, it breaks the story/fantasy you are getting lost in and just makes the whole thing seem ridiculous.

I have read the entire gor series, and have nothing against it, but his book was not well written, especially compared to the others in the series, and compared to other novels with similar themes.

You asked why I read this book in the first place? I read it because I enjoyed the other gor books I read and thought this might also have an interesting plot and interesting characters with a unique perspective. Unfortunately I was disappointed.

If you disagree with my assessment, then state your opinion and give examples to the contrary, but don't personally attack me and portray me as a prude.

message 7: by Zoran (last edited Nov 29, 2012 04:47AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Zoran Krušvar I agree that this book is very badly written trash, but I still find it far superior to "Twilight". And, I would like to read some comparison of this book and "50 Shades of Gray", since I haven't read the latter but I understand that there are some similarities.