Writers Unite discussion

Discussions about Books > The Worst Book(s) You've Ever Read

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carina (new)

Carina Yeah, yeah I know Twilight is on your list, but other than that wretched thing what else have you read that was a painful read? Please don't just say "It sucked!" Give a reason why you thought so.

Right now I'm slowly making my way through this book...

The Forest of Hands and Teeth (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #1) by Carrie Ryan

It's called The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan

When I added this book and the others in the series to my to-read shelf I was so excited to read them. The story description sounded really interesting and original and I just couldn't wait.

However when I actually read it, I knew from about the second page that this book was definitely not what I expected. Yeah the story is great but I can't seem to get over how much I'm turned off by the author's writing style. It's so choppy and non descriptive and just makes the whole thing dull.

And on top of that, the main character is totally self absorbed and selfish that I couldn't care less if she got turned into a freaking zombie!

The thing was, I was going to buy this book and instead I got it from my school library. I'm so glad I didn't waste my precious money.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Hush Hush, Anna Fitzgerald

I couldnt even finish it. The main character annoyed me half to death, she was practicall a stalk in the begining. And Patch. Seriously? What kind of a guy is that bold? The book reminded me to much of Twilight, and personally Twilight was better.

message 3: by ♪Chloe (new)

♪Chloe  the Beatles Fanatic♫ (chloe_loves_thebeatles_and_books) | 44 comments Really? You didn't like Hush Hush?
I thought that book was amazing!!

I really hated Inkspell. It was awful, I didn't even get through the first chapter. But actually, I don't quite know what about it that I hated it. It was just... unlikeable!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I can't decide on my least favorite book. I can think of about 50 books that are worse than Twilight, though.

message 5: by Jen (new)

Jen | 347 comments worst book? the first that comes to mind is "Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac".
*will post others at a later time :P

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Jen wrote: "worst book? the first that comes to mind is "Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac".
*will post others at a later time :P"

Wait wait wait! I want to know, what kind of movie rating would that book probably get? I've been wanting to read it, but if it has sex and a lot of overly foul language, I don't want to.

message 7: by Jen (new)

Jen | 347 comments i dont know wat kind of movie rating it would get cuz sometimes they make it better than the book but sometimes it comes out worse. if it come out worse: not possible same: -100 better: ?
the author portrayed girls as needy and always needing to ahve a b-friend. UGH! it was like: i luv this dude, but after we had ... i liked this guy but he was a drunk so now i want this guy who i liked before the dude i had ... with. ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE~!!!!!!!!

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Jen I completly agree with you I did not like that book, the main character was needy, and just blah.

Skitts- movie Rating PG PG 13,

message 9: by Jen (new)

Jen | 347 comments oh rating like: pG, PG13, or R? i thought u meant like 1 star, 2 star, 3 star... my mistake. but dont waste ur time or money on that book!!!!!

message 10: by Jen (new)

Jen | 347 comments OMG! i just saw all the ppl who gave this book 4/5 stars! i think the book was so bad that THEY must have gotten amnesia.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Janelle wrote: "Jen I completly agree with you I did not like that book, the main character was needy, and just blah.

Skitts- movie Rating PG PG 13,"

Okay...Why PG 13? Language or sexuality? Or violence O_o

message 12: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) I think Anne Frank... it's the only book I hated reading (i m a twihard, not twihater :P)

All it tells u is Anne and her families arguments and her growing up. gosh, it was SO boring. If I were the riter I'd put a caution sign on it

message 13: by Shayla (new)

Shayla (shaylaalexander) Uhhh....

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Janelle wrote: "Hush Hush, Anna Fitzgerald

I couldnt even finish it. The main character annoyed me half to death, she was practicall a stalk in the begining. And Patch. Seriously? What kind of a guy is that b..."

It was Becca Fitzpatrick. And you wanna read about a stalker? Read Fallen by Lauren Kate.

message 15: by Jen (last edited Oct 04, 2010 12:29PM) (new)

Jen | 347 comments Skitts wrote: "Janelle wrote: "Jen I completly agree with you I did not like that book, the main character was needy, and just blah.

Skitts- movie Rating PG PG 13,"

Okay...Why PG 13? Language or sexuality..."

both

message 16: by Megan (new)

Megan | 156 comments twilight is the worst book i've never read

message 17: by Jen (new)

Jen | 347 comments lol.

message 18: by Megan (new)

Megan | 156 comments (:

Cissi "Invisible but Invincible" (cissiinvisiblebutinvincible) | 22 comments Twilight, Inkspell, Artemis Fowl, Warriors.... the list goes on and on!

message 20: by Megan (new)

Megan | 156 comments you don't like warriors?

Cissi "Invisible but Invincible" (cissiinvisiblebutinvincible) | 22 comments not particularily... i suppose that they werent the WORST book that i've ever read, but they really weren't my forte, ya know?

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

O.o I loves Warriors! But I get what ya mean.

I don't like Twilight, Maximum Ride, Coraline, Vampire Kisses. . . Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

message 23: by Carina (new)

Carina Really? Coraline wasn't too good? I've been kind of wanting to read it just to say I did but is it not that good?

Cissi "Invisible but Invincible" (cissiinvisiblebutinvincible) | 22 comments I liked the idea of Maximum Ride, just not the writing style... it wasn't the best

message 25: by Jen (new)

Jen | 347 comments i read it for my summer reading and it was OK. its not like it was amazing or terrible. it was just alright. i wouldnt recommend it. like, if you have other books you want to read, i would read them first.

message 26: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 04, 2010 02:48PM) (new)

Carina wrote: "Really? Coraline wasn't too good? I've been kind of wanting to read it just to say I did but is it not that good?"

Well. My mom made me read Coraline when I was around 9 or 10. It. Freaked. Me. Out. I hated it. :/ I had nightmares about people trying to sew buttons into my eyes. And the movie. . .it was. . .ew.

message 27: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) Cissi wrote: "Twilight, Inkspell, Artemis Fowl, Warriors.... the list goes on and on!"

OK I'VE TOTALLY HAD IT! TWILIGHT... FINE. WAT THE HECK'S WRONG WITH ARTEMIS FOWLLLL???????????????!!!!!!!!!!!

My Arty =[

Cissi "Invisible but Invincible" (cissiinvisiblebutinvincible) | 22 comments Again, not the worst book that I've read. I'm actually planning on giving it another try. I just didn't like it all that much. But I am gonna read it again, just to make sure.

message 29: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) did u read only the first book? because I read the other prts after abt 5 years. lol, after reading the first I mean. the others are awesome... and once u get to knw Arty, u'll love him

message 30: by Swiftfire (new)

Swiftfire Yeah, I didn't like the first very much, I absolutely hated the second, but I really like the third. I haven't read any further than that.

message 31: by Swiftfire (new)

Swiftfire Cissi wrote: "I liked the idea of Maximum Ride, just not the writing style... it wasn't the best"

Agreed.

message 32: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) the last one's the best

Cissi "Invisible but Invincible" (cissiinvisiblebutinvincible) | 22 comments Yeah, that's what i figured, so i'll read them all now. i shall give it a SECOND CHANCE!!

message 34: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) U guys shld give twilight a second chance... and read t again wiv romance in mind. seriously, how can ppl HATE it. yeh, I agree it's totally stupid, but I still lov it!

message 35: by Rosalyn (last edited Oct 06, 2010 03:12PM) (new)

Rosalyn Leigh (t-rose) wow what's funny here is that many of you have listed twilight on your worst book list but haven't actually given a reason why you don't like it. not that im going to shove the book down your throats, but yes, i read it and the rest of the series and liked it-no i loved them. immensely. BUUUUUT....after stepping away from those books and venturing back out into the rest of the literary world i found a helluva a lot more books that are better than twilight. and by doing this i have been able to re-evaluate my views on the series. reading other things helps to to see things a lot more clearly especially if you only read one genre and one genre only. word of advice: don't. i made that mistake and found that twilight just ain't the shit like i thought. but like i said i ventured and found gold that twilight just can't touch. *takes deep breath* but even after all of that, i still like twilight just not as much. its waaay at the bottom of my list of good story.

now...as for worst book(s) i have ever read:

gone with the wind: i couldn't even finish this piece of--o i really shan't say it! that book was low as low can go perhaps even though. picture an author who crafts racist characters from the 3rd person pov but then actually writes as a racist herself. i won't say anynmore i don't want to start any arguments here.

the house of night series is pissing me off. the dialogging is absolutely terrible. i swear i'd rather take a hunky bite out of a bar of soap that to cast ms. pc. cast as someone with good dialogging skill. on the flip side....the books as a whole are...ok

message 36: by Carina (new)

Carina I wholeheartedly agree with you about the House of Night books. I picked up the first one and couldn't even make it past the second chapter. I didn't like the author's writing style at all and I also agree about the dialogue. It was so just... not realistic and just irked me to the point where I wanted to chuck the book against my wall and scream! URGH!!! How do books like that get published? Really does anyone know!?

message 37: by Rosalyn (new)

Rosalyn Leigh (t-rose) hahaha finally someone who agrees with me! honestly though im still reading the series but i can't get past the second chapter in book 4. im on to bigger and better non 'easy peasy' things :P

message 38: by Carina (new)

Carina Yeah I totally understand. I'm also trying to branch out in the different kinds of books I'm reading now a days and I've found a ton of great ones! Goodreads has helped me with a lot of it :)

message 39: by Rosalyn (new)

Rosalyn Leigh (t-rose) no doubt thats why i joined XD

message 40: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) same here =]

message 41: by Miriam (new)

Miriam (athynadaughterofposiedon2) Twilight, Lion Among Men. I liked Wicked, and Son of a Witch, but I found Lion among men boring. I will probably give it another try though, since I was in 7th grade when I tried to read it.

message 42: by Paul (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 1 comments books i've actually thrown away:

Interview With The Vampire by Anne Rice - just so badly written. unashamedly purple prose that made my gorge rise.

O-Zone by Paul Theroux - i really like Theroux's other work, but he also writes science fiction which is crass, careless, badly written, unimaginative and insulting. It reads like he's slumming it, and reckons as long as he puts flying cars in SF fans'll lap it up.

Battlefield Earth by L. Ron Hubbard - what can i say, i was young and just getting into SF and i didn't know any better. but even then i recognised crap when i saw it.

Merlin by Stephen Lawhead - I hated the way he co-opted the whole Arthurian mythology to push a christian message at the expense of the storytelling. what made it really unforgivable was that the the first volume of the trilogy, Taliesin, was awesome.