The Secret (The Secret, #1) The Secret discussion


467 views
Let me know

Comments Showing 1-50 of 99 (99 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Joy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:05AM) (new)

Joy You will have to let me know how this book is, it looked interesting but i already have a HUGE to-read list :) -Joy


message 2: by Jan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:20AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jan see my review


message 3: by J. (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:23AM) (new)

J. Ryan I really didn't like this book either. It is basically just a transcript of the DVD (I'm not going to call it a film) and reads like a script from an infomercial. It is just a lot of common sense which is pretty poorly worded, though the philosophies, if applied, can help you out of a rut. But it isn't a secret at all. People already know these things.

For a good laugh, listen to the audiobook.


message 4: by Polly (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:32AM) (new)

Polly Not to be a ninny or anything similar - came across this book at a bookfair - just had to read it - I have been doing "it" since my childhood without even knowing or intentionally doing. Only once having read D. Chopra's Synchro Destiny did I realise that "one best be careful for what you wish for".
Not the best read ever - however worth considering. The power of positive thinking and believing really does work.


message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

If the power of positive thinking works, why do terrible things happen to people who are positively thinking of just the opposite?


message 6: by Carol (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:37AM) (new)

Carol I was not impressed! It was repetitive and preachy. It reminded me of an expression I read once - "... had a saccharine smile."


message 7: by Hollyhocks (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:37AM) (new)

Hollyhocks I tried to listen to it at work and at first it was inspirational cuz it really does make you look at the way you think and how positive thinking will lead you in the right direction. If you have negative thoughts then of course you won't acheive the things you want .. but I couldn't finish listening to it cuz it got way too cheesy and then when she started talking about how if you focus on the food you are eating bite for bite you won't gain weight .. what? Alrighty then .. there's a new diet we all can appreciate I guess


message 8: by Rae (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:38AM) (new)

Rae I went and purchased the book and read a few chapters. Honestly I just couldn't get into the book.I eventually just stopped reading and put it off to the side. Maybe one day I will try and read it again.


message 9: by Char (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:00PM) (new)

Char Tan "Ugh. Even more horrible because my art teacher forced us to watch it, and acted like it was the greatest thing since...well, art."

please tell me you are kidding...please do not trust this person with your cultural upbringing

this book is the end of commonsense as we know it, i can't believe i've contributed to her fortune.


message 10: by Carmen (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:54PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Carmen Im sorry you guys didnt like it. i did. It may just tell us what we already know, but how many optomistic people do you know? Not many Im guessing. If we all really understood it, there would be tons of optomistic people at least. am I making any sense? Perhaps not but I like it.


message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm an optimist! I always try to look on the bright side of things!

My optimism, however, doesn't mean I'm gullible or dumb, two prerequisites for believing that your positive thinking has magical power to affect the universe.


message 12: by HoMa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:56PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

HoMa Me Psitive thinking always work.
but somebody for running away from negetive thinking sometime focus on them, so some negetive event happen in their life.


message 13: by Carmen (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:57PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Carmen oh thats true......


message 14: by kelly (new)

kelly "The Strangest Secret" - Earl Nightingale
"Think and Grow Rich" - Napoleon Hill

I can't say that I've read this book cover to cover, yet I did give it a particularly good "thumbing through". Her ideas are definately not new ones. I'm interested in reading more as to compared it to the classic, and wonderful material stated above. For the most part I think she took ideas that she cannot claim to be her own, added diversion - "the law of attraction", and some visually pleasing cosmetics (to throw us off the scent)and commercialized it.

Maybe she has some great insights to call her own, but from what I read, and the reviews I've noticed here, I doubt it.


message 15: by Justin (last edited Jan 04, 2008 03:34PM) (new)

Justin Sims you go to any metaphysical section in a bookstore and there are thousands of titles on the same subject. this one was on Oprah therefore it makes millions? hated it.


Melissa The best thing about the book is that it is a door. There are so many references to other authors in the book and other works to consider. Try reading some of the things mentioned in The Secret. I have been on this crazy journey since reading The Secret last year. What I have learned is astounding. :)


Preston The philosophies depicted in this book are all very real. I have seen confirming results first hand. what i don't like is that she speaks as if the law of attraction was "the" secret. really, it is only part of the wisdom that i associate as "the secret". this is a great book, however, to jump start ones spiritual evolution.


Shelley I believe the message of this book is true, there are just other and better authors, for example - Mind Power by John Kehoe. Same message, less cheese. Clearly Rhonda Byrne sent a message to the universe to become rich and this was the answer she got - to write a book on this topic that would 'appeal?' to the masses. I think it worked, she's made millions.


message 19: by Dean (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dean It's sad that many missed the point of this book. There are sooo many key elements in here that "no one" has answered. I'd recommend reading it again. This book really is life changing, but it does not work if there is no belief.

Good things to you all... :o)


message 20: by Char (new) - rated it 3 stars

Char You can read so many of these books and feel great about them as you read them but if you put the book down and close the pages without soaking any of it in it was surely not worth the read. I read this book when it first came out and since then I have seen and read quite a bit like this one. I can't say I have changed my life totally but I can say that through my life I re call stopping my self or slightly changing my train of thought as I remember bits from a book. So, I guess reading books like this does make a subconscious difference in my life. Now, I just have to work harder on making them conscious.


message 21: by Çili (new) - added it

Çili         Intereting book


Esoldra Awful, each page repeats the same lines over and over again - it is as though it is trying to grasp at the secret and is chanting a mantra and thinks if it chants it enough the Secret will reveal itself - save yourself money and time - this was awful


Nora aka Diva Joy wrote: "You will have to let me know how this book is, it looked interesting but i already have a HUGE to-read list :) -Joy"

Skip it.


message 24: by Ana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ana Well, I expected a lot more from this book...hmmm I can't say I am impressed...and I sure didn't like the repeating stuff.


message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

If interested in this book I believe the best way to enjoy it and maybe learn something from it, is audio.


message 26: by L.L. (new) - rated it 3 stars

L.L. Helland I hate to say it, but I expected more from this book. It was like the Emperor's New Clothes. I didn't agree with much of it. I know you have to be postive for good things to happen to you, but to think all you have to do is think good thoughts and things will come to you is just not true. Don't even have to leave the house or do anything. That was like my sister who hadn't dated for a long time, and she mostly didn't go anywhere. I asked her if she thought someone was going to appear at her door one day and they would live happily every after. Also, I didn't believe that if you say I don't want to be sad. The universe only hears the word sad and brings more sadness to you. Just wasn't impressed with the 25 dollar price or the content.


message 27: by Joe (new) - rated it 1 star

Joe McPlumber I wish this comment system had a ratings facility because some of these comments are great and i wish i could passively show my approval without getting involved.


message 28: by L.L. (new) - rated it 3 stars

L.L. Helland Joe, Save your 25 dollars. I know the book was all 'out there' but don't waste your money. I'll save you the time of reading it--Joe, think positive thoughts. Have a great day. LL


Nora aka Diva Honestly if you want something in this area of interest you are definetely better off getting Ask and It Is Given: Learning to Manifest Your Desires
by Jerry Hicks, Wayne W. Dyer, Esther Hicks


رِحاب لا بد ولكل كتاب أن يكون به خطأ لأن كاتبه من البشر وليس كتابه مُنزل أو أنه مثل القرآن ، به كثير من المعتقدات الخاطئة جداً ، لكن هذا لا يمنع أن أعمل بما يفيدني وأتجاهل الذي لا يناسبني ،، اضف الى ذلك أنه فقط أخذ ضجة في الأوساط المحلية ووصل هذا الأيحاء للناس فقاموا باقتنائه وأنصحكم بقراءة كتاب خرافة السر فستعرفون ما أعني ..


رِحاب Must have for each book would be at fault because the author of people and not his house or that, like the Koran, by many false beliefs too, but this does not mean that I am including myself and ignore that does not suit me, Add to this that it only took a stir in the media local and has this suggestion for people and they bought it and I advise you to read the book myth the secret you will know what I mean ..


Nora aka Diva Hope wrote: "Must have for each book would be at fault because the author of people and not his house or that, like the Koran, by many false beliefs too, but this does not mean that I am including myself and ig..."

I am guessing that this was translated from another language because it really does not make much sense. Sorry.


Lavern Mmm wow!I firmly believe that in reading spiritual or self improving materials one must first empty ones self. This allows more clarity or acceptance of the material regardless if at the end you disagree with it. This book like so many others are just extensions of others for example the Bible. Remember "faith without works is dead...seek and he shall find...no good thing will I with hold..."etc This however does that mean that 'evil' will not interfere it is a natural part of life. What or how one deals with it may not be so natural lol! Remember there is no light without a shadow. To cash in on this fact is only wisdom..no harm no foul!


رِحاب Nora , I do not understand, you are with or against the book secret ?


Nora aka Diva Hope,
I have said that in my opinion the book The Secret was poorly done, there are much better covering the same topic out there. I even have a link listed to one of them.
My last comment was about how I was having trouble understanding what you were saying in one of your posts.


Rosun Rajkumar OK I am late here but I happen to read the Secret recently. I won't call it 'life-altering' but yes there is a certain positivity to it. There are some things which if followed can be really powerful. I remember a friend who was suggested by his counselor to read this book. I now see why. I loved the book and will vouch for it anytime.


Rajnish Sharma An attempt is made in this book to co-relate human existence with cosmic powers..powers of star ..thought is projected as an intangible energy , while meeting the cosmic energy its metamorphosis into synergy ,a fission, a chain rection, which ultimately define your destiny and be your destiny.....nice attempt ..but too much repetition and slogging on only one idea ..made it tiresome


message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

Rosun wrote: "OK I am late here but I happen to read the Secret recently. I won't call it 'life-altering' but yes there is a certain positivity to it. There are some things which if followed can be really powerful. I remember a friend who was suggested by his counselor to read this book. I now see why. I loved the book and will vouch for it anytime. "

I fail to see the positives in a book that tells you to ignore the wrongs in the world in order to concentrate on attaining an expensive car. This is a cult-like mentality that is being taught within its pages that teaches you to blame the victim. As if a hurricane hits a small town because the townsfolk didn't have positive mind frame.

This is a dangerous premise.


Rajnish Sharma well, hurricane context is valid, but its more to do with micro level than macro level...applicable to only individuals Psyche


Nikki Madigan If anyone has ever had depression, you know how circular depressive thoughts can be. And without some help, it can be really impossible to get yourself out of it. For me, who does have clinical depression, this was sort of like being given a match when I only have a candle. While it wasn't the best written piece of work, at least it helped to get my mind working in a new way. It helped me in ways therapy could not.

However, if you're looking for a truly in depth coverage of this topic, I recommend reading "The Law of Success" by Napoleon Hill. Or at least the abridged version. It was written in 1925 and there are some places where it seems a little sexist, but beyond that, I think it's a great read. I've at least gone from feeling like a hopeless, unemployed basket case to being a hopeful, employed basket case.


Amanda The first time I read this book I laughed at it and declared it a load of rubbish. A year later I picked it up again and said to myself, the fuss and popularity of it has to mean something, so I said I'd give it a proper go. I am so glad I did. You have to be willing to believe in what you are reading and only then will it work for you. It may sound llike nonsense but if you continually have positive thoughts about things you can't help but be in good form. It's well worth a read and please don't give up on it.

http://divaliciouzbookreviews.blogspo...


Rajnish Sharma I fully agree with you..its like a slow wine , you slowly grow along with it s awakening effect...Its just a perception .a attitude and our eccentricities which we have to keep aside to understand the bigger picture of its premises ...


KareB I read the book at one of the lowest times of my life and it helped me more than I could have ever imagined. I keep it near to reinforce positivity in my life. I love how simple it was written. I could pick it up and just open it to any page and feel lifted on a bad day. This book has helped transform me back to my thinking as a teenager. As we get older we tend to become less idealistic and more bitter. But this book jolted me back to my happy thinking self. :) Well it helped anyway, I was also watching inspirational movies, listening to positive music, and reading other books too. I guess this opened it back up for me.


Ahmad Qassab Bashi anyone saw dave chappelle the secret? here it is
https://www.youtube.com/results?searc...


message 45: by Rosun (last edited Mar 06, 2012 03:02PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rosun Rajkumar Paul wrote: "Rosun wrote: "OK I am late here but I happen to read the Secret recently. I won't call it 'life-altering' but yes there is a certain positivity to it. There are some things which if followed can be..."

I won't call it dangerous premise. The book doesn't give you any false promises. When the mind is occupied with thoughts you are not even sure about let those thoughts be replaced by a positive one. Or at least try not to think anything at all. This is precisely what The Secret tells and I totally agree with it. The human mind is the source to eveything. Haven't we read this in so many other books too?


message 46: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 06, 2012 04:13PM) (new)

What are you talking about? "Thoughts that you are not even sure about"? Questioning things? Like a human being is supposed to?

Not every thought can be 100% positive. It is not humanly possible. We have doubts and bad feelings for a reason, it's called intuition. These sensations cannot simply be pushed aside because you want a better house. To deny the negative is just as detrimental as denying the positive.


message 47: by Inas (new) - rated it 3 stars

Inas Essa very interesting book &most of it is true


Rosun Rajkumar Paul wrote: "What are you talking about? "Thoughts that you are not even sure about"? Questioning things? Like a human being is supposed to?

Not every thought can be 100% positive. It is not humanly possible. ..."

Agreed! Also there is a huge difference between intuition and a bad thought/feeling. I can't speak for others but myself here. For me at times I feel like I can be a lot more productive in life if I were to contain some of my thoughts. These are the bad/negative thoughts. And yes they are not intuitions, not always!
It is human to have fears and doubts but it is silly to keep holding on to them (the way many of us do). When there are other better things in one's life, one must not focus just on the stuffs which are being difficult. And this is precisely what the book wants us to do.


Rosun Rajkumar @Susan, appreciate the idea of 'managing' thoughts. Yes, that's precisely what some of us need.


Ahmad Qassab Bashi In Islam we almost have the same concept which is mentioned in "The Secret". from my experience I think once you are in peace with yourself and with Allah " or the power mentioned in the book" then you can stay positive.


« previous 1
back to top