Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Voltaire didn't write about Goths

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Velma (new)

Velma (velmalikevelvet) | 61 comments The titles What is Goth? and Oh My Goth! are attributed to both Aurelio Voltaire Hernandez and Voltaire, aka François-Marie Arouet. I'm fairly certain that Voltaire didn't write about Goth culture.

I think this needs the attentions of a Super Librarian? Thanks.

message 2: by MissJessie (new)

MissJessie | 874 comments I'm not a super, but...

that's the name on the book covers and on the Amazon listing. I guess he uses it too.

I guess it's a case needing disambing...

message 3: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl Voltaire also didn't write the Complete Idiot's Guide to Word for Windows 95....I changed that one.

message 4: by Velma (new)

Velma (velmalikevelvet) | 61 comments MissJessie wrote: "I'm not a super, but...

that's the name on the book covers and on the Amazon listing. I guess he uses it too.

I guess it's a case needing disambing..."

yeah, I saw that. wasn't sure if the request belonged here or in the disambig thread. thanks.

message 5: by Velma (new)

Velma (velmalikevelvet) | 61 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Voltaire also didn't write the Complete Idiot's Guide to Word for Windows 95....I changed that one."

Snort. Bet not. Do I need to re-post in the disambig thread? Thanks!

message 6: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl No, it doesn't belong in the disambig thread (which is for different authors whose names are exactly the same). Here is fine.

message 7: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 392 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "No, it doesn't belong in the disambig thread (which is for different authors whose names are exactly the same). Here is fine."

But the issue is that there are two Voltaires. This http://www.voltaire.net/ is the Goth one.

message 8: by [ A ] (last edited Oct 03, 2010 11:47AM) (new)

[ A ] | 51 comments Unfortunately, single name authors cannot be disambiguated due to the fact that there is no last (or first) name to put extra spaces between (which is the current disambig method).

message 9: by Velma (new)

Velma (velmalikevelvet) | 61 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "No, it doesn't belong in the disambig thread (which is for different authors whose names are exactly the same). Here is fine."

That's what I thought, except that Deborah (below) is spot-on: 2 Voltaires (Voltairei?).

Sounds like there is no fix anyway, as Amanda (JT) has pointed out that they can't be disambig'ed anyway.

UNLESS... What if each author's aka was part of his URL ID? Would that work?