Straight Straight discussion

Straight

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:29PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

John Others will usually tell you The Danger is Dick Francis' best novel. This is hard, because he wrote so very well. But for my money, STRAIGHT is his best. And there is no doubt in my mind the opening paragraph in STRAIGHT is one of the best in contemporary fiction.

message 2: by Luann (last edited Oct 19, 2008 07:20PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Luann Interesting, John! I do have to say that The Danger is one of my favorite Dick Francis novels, but I'm never able to choose just ONE favorite with Dick Francis. Break In, Bolt, Smokescreen, Proof, and whichever one I've reread most recently always make the top of my list as well. :) Since you are a writer, I would think that Longshot would figure high on your favorites list. Have you read Longshot yet, and if so, what did you think?

Update: Also, it's interesting that on the list of Dick Francis favorites at Listopia, To the Hilt is currently at the top of the list. The Danger is second, and Straight is eleventh.

John I have read the Dick Francis novels, some of them many times. The Danger is a well crafted accomplishment. Also, Reflex and Blood Sport. I guess I rattled on about Straight because I know something of gemstones and so the fit was right. And, of course, that opening paragraph...

John Luann wrote: "Interesting, John! I do have to say that The Danger is one of my favorite Dick Francis novels, but I'm never able to choose just ONE favorite with Dick Francis. Break In, Bolt, Smokescreen, Proof..."

Luann, I had forgotten about Longshot. What a great read! I think I particularly liked the opening situation and the character of the writer/protagonist.

John John wrote: "Luann wrote: "Interesting, John! I do have to say that The Danger is one of my favorite Dick Francis novels, but I'm never able to choose just ONE favorite with Dick Francis. Break In, Bolt, Smok..."

Ha, ha, ha, I note the joke is on me. Your post was from 2008. Some day I will learn how to do the internet. Oh well, good ideas are forever, and I have to agree with you, it's 6 years in the future and Longshot is still a great read.