Children's Books discussion

Specific Books & Authors > JK Rowling on Oprah Friday 10/1

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (last edited Sep 27, 2010 08:18AM) (new)

Kathryn | 6159 comments Mod
Calling all JK Rowling Fans!!! She will be on "Oprah" this Friday, October 1st. Check your local listings :-)

I thought I would go ahead and make this a new thread in case we want to come on and discuss after the interview. I hope she will have something to say about a NEW book!!!
*fingers crossed*

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100927/a...

message 2: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 192 comments I hope so too!

message 3: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 192 comments I would imagine it shows up on youtube :)

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1077 comments Thanks for posting, Kathryn. I heard about it earlier today in another group. I will be watching &/or taping. I hadn't even thought about an announcement about a new book. I do hope that's the case. The movies for Harry Potter 7 are coming out soon and I figured she'd be talking about those 2 movies, the Harry Potter book(s). I've always enjoyed the few interviews with and talks by her that I've heard. Whatever she has to say, I'll be interested. And, the interview is in Scotland so I'll enjoy that too.

message 5: by Wilhelmina (new)

Wilhelmina Jenkins | 229 comments Thanks, Kathryn! Should be interesting!

message 6: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Haha, that's okay, Chandra. You're among friends ;-) But, seriously, I have watched some Oprah episodes and enjoyed them. I don't actually have TV (haven't for a few years) but I'm looking forward to watching this episode--my sister will record it for me. Oh, and I saw Oprah's doing another one later in the month with the "Sound of Music" cast. Yay!

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1077 comments Kathryn wrote: "Oh, and I saw Oprah's doing another one later in the month with the "Sound of Music" cast. Yay! "

Oh gosh, if anyone knows when this will air, please post and/or pm me. That's my all time favorite movie! Thanks!

message 8: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (last edited Oct 01, 2010 07:51AM) (new)

Lisa wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "Oh, and I saw Oprah's doing another one later in the month with the "Sound of Music" cast. Yay! "

Oh gosh, if anyone knows when this will air, please post and/or pm me. That's my a..."

I *think* it was for Oct 29th. You might want to double-check on Oprah's website. I LOVE that movie, too. It is one of my top favorites of all time ;-)

message 9: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1077 comments Thanks, Kathryn. I will check the web site. I have to see that episode, and today's too.

message 10: by Wilhelmina (new)

Wilhelmina Jenkins | 229 comments I missed it? Did anyone watch? How was it?

message 11: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1077 comments Wilhelmina wrote: "I missed it? Did anyone watch? How was it?"

I loved the interview. Of course, I love J.K. Rowling. She said she will always be writing but didn't talk any specifics. They didn't really talk about the upcoming movie either. They talked mostly about her life and her background, and the Harry Potter books and their history. They talked in the Edinburgh hotel where she finished Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Oprah and Rowling also talked about their similarities in life & outlook. There was a lot. (I'm also going to watch or tape Oprah on 10/29 because she's having the entire cast together, for the first time in 45 years, of the movie The Sound of Music. Yay!)

message 12: by Wilhelmina (new)

Wilhelmina Jenkins | 229 comments Thanks, Lisa!

message 13: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1077 comments I'm dying to go to both Edinburgh and London, and some places in-between.

That was the only part of the interview that irritated me. I don't begrudge either woman for their fabulous wealth, but I don't need to hear a lot about it. Oprah in recent years has got me especially bugged re that subject.

message 14: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

For those of you who missed the interview, there is a lot in an article online and also some clips from the interview (and some not aired on TV) on Oprah.com :-)

I, too, loved the interview! Much of it was "old news" to those of us who have been following JK and HP all these years, but it is still nice to hear JK speak directly on the issues. I am always so impressed by what a classy, smart, funny and nice lady she is. Then again, she DID write the HP books, which I love, so I shouldn't be surprised ;-) It was SO neat seeing inside the Balmoral Hotel--my sister and I were in Edinburgh the year HP7 came out and we were very excited to see the hotel and got to go into the lobby but that was it, of course. Still, neat to be *there* and then see it on the interview.

Yeah, I thought the part of the interview where they talked about the wealth was a bit annoying, too. I mean, I don't begrudge them, either--I felt that it was good for them to talk to one another about it, but I just thought it wasn't a part of the interview to be aired especially today when so many people are struggling to make ends meet. Of course, JK's and Oprah's are inspiring story but not like all of us can hope for such a rags-to-riches happy (wealthy!) ending.

I did love the part where JK talked about failure and how important it can be, and how it's not something that is really "allowed" in society--if it happens, you brush it under the rug and try to forget about it. I loved her Harvard speech and think it's so important for people, especially young people, to hear that!

And her discussion about love was beautiful, too.

Here's hoping for a new book from Ms. Rowling sooner than later!!! (I'm glad she isn't even trying to top Harry Potter, though--I think that is wise. She'd probably go crazy and freeze up all creative juices if she let that enter her head for any length of time!)

message 15: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Mulcahy | 51 comments I missed that interview as well but am so glad that I can watch on the website. Thank you for that information.

I will also mark my calendar for 10/29. I loved The Sound of Music and would love to see the cast again.

message 16: by ABC (new)

ABC (mary6543) | 341 comments Thanks, I watched it on Youtube. They are both amazing women.

message 17: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1077 comments For anyone who's interested, The Sound of Music cast will be on Oprah tomorrow, Thursday the 28th, NOT Friday the 29th. Thanks to Kathryn for reminding me of this thread. I'm trying to alert everyone who thinks this show is on the 29th.

message 18: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

I'm so glad you posted, Lisa. Thank you!