Terminalcoffee discussion

Random Queries > Would you rather work on projects as a group or on your own?

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I was thinking of Clark's mentioning he was working on a group project in a class, and I got to thinking of the "group vs. on your own" question. Would you rather work on projects, school or otherwise, on your own or in a group? Pros and cons? What do you think?

message 2: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6033 comments On my own.

At the beginning of every group project I've been involved in for my Master's program, there's a pregnant pause when the topic turns to who is going to assume the team leadership role. I always try to wait everyone else out, then wind up throwing up my hands in disgust and saying, "I'll do it."

I wind up regretting it every time.

message 3: by Phoenix (new)

Phoenix (phoenixapb) | 1619 comments I'd rather work on my own. I find working in groups to be very frustrating and like Clark I usually get volunteered to lead. Apparently I have unique ideas (sadly, I'm not sure that's a compliment) and that makes me a leader according to others....yeah, not so much. I may march to beat of my own drum but if I wanted to lead people I'd be playing a fricken wind instrument and using cheese as an enticement.

message 4: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments group project. i like delegating tasks and having working lunches

message 5: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Depends on who I'm working with. I would say that generally I would do better and prefer it if I worked alone. I am very "task oriented" and not very patient, especially if I cannot make myself understood. I get really frustrated, "Am I completely unable to articulate myself or is this person just stupid?" kind of thing. If it makes sense to me, I assume it should make sense to you. This makes me a TERRIBLE teacher. At my last job (same job, bigger firm) I somehow got stuck as the "trainer" for all new licensed broker assistants, even for the branch offices. Oy!

But, working with my sister (younger, not older...that one I couldn't change a light bulb with) on any project works perfectly (I mean this in the sense of professional work or non. We both worked at the same firm a few years ago.) She speaks my language. If I was working with someone, or a couple of someones I could communicate with that way and kinda got me, that would be okay.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments If I can choose who's in my group, then I love working on a project with a team. Otherwise, I'd rather work alone. Which is what I do most of the time.

message 7: by Dario (new)

Dario | 63 comments Barb wrote: "#2 - You run the risk of ending up with people who don't pull their weight and they end up dragging you down "

I've been there...
Actually I am there now...

message 8: by Carol (new)

Carol | 1679 comments I agree with all of Barb's points. Amelia, I feel the same way about people not understanding me, but I definitely will not be working with either of my sisters. no.

message 9: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i think there are many type A people on goodreads. just sayin

message 10: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments I prefer a group so I don't have to take all the responsibility.

message 11: by Jan (new)

Jan | 241 comments All those here who would like to be Project Manager, raise your hands.

message 12: by smetchie (last edited Sep 28, 2010 09:01AM) (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments *hides*

message 13: by Meels (last edited Sep 30, 2010 09:59AM) (new)

Meels (amelia) I don't think I'm really type A. I think of type A folks like my husband and FOR SURE his brother who like to be in control and are always going a mile a minute reaching new heights.

I'm basically lazy. I am hyper organized, but that is just because I am too lazy to do extra work to find things or take extra steps to accomplish things. And, I'm only task oriented because I want the "have to" stuff out of the way. For example, I came in today and got my work done straight away, before I even ate breakfast...because I wanted to feel free to screw around the rest of the day. :)

That's not type A. That's just organized.

message 14: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Apparently I am a little bossy as well...

message 15: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6033 comments Our midterm project is now complete and ready to submit. Not to toot my own horn, but two of us did most of the work.

For the final project, it's someone else's turn.

message 16: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart On my own. Isn't it like, scientifically supported that group projects in school don't work?

message 17: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart Like, there's always one person who is going to take one more work than the others, and then there's always one person who is going to slack because they know that with or without them, the work is going to get done because students are rarely willing to sacrifice their grade just to prove a point.

message 18: by Sandy (new)

Sandy Hyatt-James (sandyhyatt-james) I like to work in a group, but don't like being told what to do. So, I guess I'm better at working alone.

message 19: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments If I work in a group, I would prefer to be told what to do and do it, but not be the one in charge or responsible. If I am to be held responsible, I would just as soon do it on my own. Yes I am anal that way.

message 20: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart I like being in charge! I like telling people what to do!

message 21: by Dario (new)

Dario | 63 comments Jan wrote: "All those here who would like to be Project Manager, raise your hands."
*raises Hand*

message 22: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) Kevin "El Liso Grande" wrote: "i think there are many type A people on goodreads. just sayin"

yup!

message 23: by Sandy (new)

Sandy Hyatt-James (sandyhyatt-james) Amelia wrote: "Apparently I am a little bossy as well..."

And funny!