Tips for Self Promotion, Sales, and Advertising discussion

Blogging Topics > How to Guest Blog

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Enuton (gooberella) | 56 comments Hi everyone,
Could someone please explain what it means to guest blog? I have somewhat of an idea (someone writes a post on someone elses blog) But is there some type of standard for a guest blogger? Is it appropriate to submit a guest blog about our own book? I'm just trying to get an idea of what is appropriate to submit when someone states they take guest bloggers.

thanks

message 2: by Susan (new)

Susan Gottfried (westofmars) Goobs,

Ask the blog host what he or she is looking for. I've been asked to talk about the writing process, to talk about anything BUT the writing process, to talk about my characters, to talk IN character.

Best of all, I've developed some nice online friendships by opening these lines of communication. You never know who's your fan until you start chatting...

Good luck--
Susan at West of Mars

message 3: by Frances (new)

Frances (mothindarkness) Goobs makes a great point. The best way to know what to do is to converse with the blog owner. I host a lot of authors on Speculative Friction, and I get a bit twitchy when they send me material that is just straight promo: a blurb excerpt and cover. That works fine on some blogs, but I try to provide content with every post. It they'd ever looked at my blog, they'd know that.
Which brings me to a second point. Pop into the blog and look around. Not only will you get an idea what they want, but you'll see if it's really a good fit for you too.
Third, make sure the day they post your spot that you check in and join the conversation. Most of my guests are great about this, but some just send me the material and go away. I think that seems rude to the readers.
If you plan to do many spots or if you're booking a tour, make a simple chart document to track dates, names, emails websites for each blog. I add check boxes for whether its an interview or topic post, checking off when I get the questions, when I send them the materials and when its posted.
I found after I did my first blog tour that it got really confusing who was where on what date. ;-)

Guest blogging is fun! So is guest hosting. If you like the look of Speculative Friction http://francespauli.blogspot.com
maybe we can do a swap.

Either way, good luck and have fun

Frances

message 4: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Enuton (gooberella) | 56 comments Thanks for the great feedback Goobs and Frances, you've turned a light on :)