Q&A with Barbara Richardson discussion

Ten years in a dusty attic AKA what does it take to get the muse to really sing?

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Richardson | 6 comments Mod
What does the writing life feel like? And when it feels lousy, what do you do?

I'm not sure there are ways to make the learning curve shorter in becoming a fiction writer. It took me 18 years to get a novel published. The first ten years did not feel comic, but I could have made a good comic book spread: clinched woman pouring over antique dictionaries and special collections sources trying to get the period in her period piece. These novels now reside in a box in a closet somewhere. I don't even know which closet!

If you are just setting out to write, give yourself a nice padding of years. I think of the early years as gatekeepers. If you don't push past them, and all of the ferocious demands they make on you, you don't get inside. Inside = pure singing, simple singing, letting your hair down all over the pages.

message 2: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 1 comments You have inspired me to start yesterday. I probably only have another 15 years I may be too late already. Thanks for the push
Ellen

message 3: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Richardson | 6 comments Mod
I'm sure it is not too late! Truthfully, when you start older the "prep" years compress a bit. You're bringing all of your confidence, relaxation and knowing to the page. And cranky unstoppable-ness. Glad you're off and writing.