Historical Fictionistas discussion

Recommendations? > Borgias

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by MBP (new)

MBP Does anyone have recommendations for historical fiction or non-fiction about the Borgias? I just read Poison by Sara Poole, which was enjoyable but a bit light on details. I just requested The Scarlet Contessa by Jeanne Kalogridis, and I have Lucrezia Borgia and the Mother of Poisons, by Roberta Gellis. Any other suggestions welcome!

message 2: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 6 comments Lucrezia Borgia: Life, Love, and Death in Renaissance Italy - bio. I read it a number of years ago.

message 3: by Jill (new)

Jill | -19 comments The Borgia Bride: A Novel was very juicy.

message 4: by Gayle (new)

Gayle (gretarahikkainen) I've been trying to find Lucrezia Borgia and the Mother of Poisons for a long time without luck. Where did you request yours from? Library?

Have Poison, haven't read it yet. Read Borgia Bride last year, it was good.

message 5: by Robin (new)

Robin (ukamerican) | 528 comments I'm going to attempt to link to the book so I apologize if it doesn't work! For non-fiction, I recommend The Borgias and Their Enemies

message 6: by Holly P (new)

Holly P (hlp0221) | 141 comments The Plaidy books were Light on Lucrezia andMadonna of the Seven Hills. There is also Lucrezia Borgia: A Novel by John Faunce. I read it last year and it was good but not great. Also Lucrezia Borgia by Sarah Bradford.

message 7: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) The Family by Mario Puzo is excellent.

message 8: by MBP (new)

MBP Thanks for all the suggestions! I read The Borgia Bride and enjoyed it (and yes, it was juicy!)

Gayle - The library I work in owns Lucrezia Borgia and the Mother of Poisons. If your local library doesn't have it, you could probably get it through interlibrary loan.

message 9: by M.G. (new)

M.G. Scarsbrook (mgscarsbrook) | 11 comments I did a fair bit of research on Lucrezia Borgia for my new novel Poison In The Blood: The Memoirs of Lucrezia Borgia, so as far as non-fiction goes, I'd recommend:

The Borgias (Celebrated Crimes) - more of a fun, scandal-centered take on the Borgia family by a great writer

The Life of Cesare Borgia by Rafael Sabatini - although its about her brother, it obviously has a lots of cross-over information about Lucrezia

The Borgias - very scholarly and rich in detail

Lucrezia Borgia: Life, Love, and Death in Renaissance Italy - probably the best and most readable bio on Lucrezia currently available. I like her portrayal of Lucrezia as a woman undeserving of her historical notoriety.

Lucrezia Borgia: A Study by Joan Haslip - quite an old and difficult to find book, but very concise and helpful

message 10: by M.G. (last edited Dec 01, 2010 05:32PM) (new)

M.G. Scarsbrook (mgscarsbrook) | 11 comments MBP,

Not sure if you know or not, but Showtime is planning a new series on the Borgias (called THE BORGIAS), starting early next year. They intend it to be a kind of successor to The Tudors. It stars Jeremy Irons as Pope Alexander VI. Derek Jacobi (from Cadfael) is in it too. Looks great to me -- I can't wait!