Chicks On Lit discussion

Archive 08-19 BR & Challenges > Snow Falling on Cedars - start October 24 2010

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Elizabeth (Alaska) For all of you who voted for this book to be the CoL November read - and anyone else:

I'm going to be reading Snow Falling on Cedars for my Fall Challenge. Please join me for a Buddy Read starting about October 24.

message 2: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca I am with you on this one. I hear it is really good Elizabeth.

message 3: by Vicki (new)

Vicki I think I already said I would read this with you before, but nevertheless I am in. I'd like to read a good book about this topic.

Elizabeth (Alaska) Glad to see you both.

message 5: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W | 2175 comments I love this book. It's been several years since I last read it, I probably won't be rereading it any time soon, but I may pop in and follow the discussion. Enjoy!

message 6: by Jane (new)

Jane (JaneLitChic) | 13 comments This book got my vote and I would be keen to join you, if that is alright, as I have been wanting to read this book for a while.

Elizabeth (Alaska) Excellent!

message 8: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Elizabeth do you have time frame for this one?

Elizabeth (Alaska) I'm currently targeting October 24 to start, but that's a month away, and I can be flexible. This one isn't one that needs to precede or follow another. Does that date work for others? I can't read before October 15, but I can rearrange my schedule to suit.

message 10: by Jane (new)

Jane (JaneLitChic) | 13 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "I'm currently targeting October 24 to start, but that's a month away, and I can be flexible. This one isn't one that needs to precede or follow another. Does that date work for others? I can't read..."

That should work for me :)

message 11: by Vicki (new)

Vicki October 24th is ok for me.

message 12: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Sounds great Elizabeth. I am looking forward to it.

Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) Sounds wonderful to me.

Elizabeth (Alaska) Great! We'll start reading October 24 and discuss as the mood strikes. I've done buddy reads mostly with just one other person, and it was pretty easy to look out for where the other was in reading. I don't want to have a specific reading schedule - let's let people know how we're progressing and try to be aware of where each of is when we're discussing.

Elizabeth (Alaska) Just wanted to bump this up as a reminder to those of you who may want to start reading this Sunday.

Elizabeth (Alaska) Great, Brenda. I thought I was going to be borrowing from the library, but then I found a copy for 50 cents at the library book sale. I'm looking forward to this and sharing the experience with a few of you here.

message 17: by bridgette ✨ (new)

bridgette ✨ (bridgettef) I will try to join. I'm super busy and am reading 2 books already but I'll check it out from the library and read along as much as possible. I like that it's "local". Puget sound is the closest large body of water to me! :)

message 18: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Elizabeth, I picked up mine at the library today. I am going to start today.

Elizabeth (Alaska) So, has anyone started this yet? I was ready last night, so, in spite of being very tired, read the first 5 chapters.

message 20: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Elizabeth I started this one. I am starting chapter 3 tonight.

message 21: by bridgette ✨ (new)

bridgette ✨ (bridgettef) I am picking this up from the library tomorrow and will start it tomorrow as well!

message 22: by Rebecca (last edited Oct 24, 2010 05:15PM) (new)

Rebecca What do you think so far Elizabeth?

Elizabeth (Alaska) I think I don't know why I waited so long to read it.

message 24: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Oct 24, 2010 06:19PM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) I'm liking how skillfully he interweaves the present with the characters' thoughts on the past and his ability to give background information without seeming to interfere with the story.

That said, one error leaped off the page at me. When talking about the boats, the Tordenskold, described as a purse seiner, is a halibut schooner, a beautiful wooden boat built in the 'teens that is still fishing today. When he references the halibut schooner Mystery Maid, I think he must have meant the purse seiner, but I don't know for sure about that one, although there was a fishing vessel of that name built in Puget Sound in 1960.

Elizabeth (Alaska) How far have you read? What is going on? Any opinions?

message 26: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Elizabeth. I am almost to chapter 5. It's taking me a while because work is busy right now. Carl has been found dead. Art and Ishmael seem to be arguing about terminology "accident" or "investigation". I am sure I have opinions Elizabeth but this late in the day I forget. :) How far are you?

Elizabeth (Alaska) I have about 100 pages left. There is so much to this novel.

Elizabeth (Alaska) I think I should add here, without stating any spoilers, that there are so many layers to the relationships, both within the individual characters and within the town itself.

I live on an island in southeast Alaska and our climate is very similar to the San Juans, although we don't have the soil and the flat terrain for strawberries. I'm finding the descriptions of the area, though the novel's island is fictious, extremely accurate and reliable.

message 29: by Joyce (new)

Joyce (js33) | 4786 comments Elizabeth, I believe I read this a few years ago. Same book? Your scrabble buddy, Joyce

Elizabeth (Alaska) Could easily be, Joyce. It has a 1995 copyright date.

I finished it last night and have been thinking about my review, which I will write this morning.

Several years ago, a male friend told me he didn't like books written by women because they failed to talk to him from his perspective. I had not thought of it before. With this book, it is more obvious, and I am grateful to be able to read things written by both genders. I would not have gotten the perspective on love from a male viewpoint as clearly as this book delineates.