Between the Wars discussion

Gerald Durrell

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SarahC (last edited Sep 19, 2010 06:50AM) (new)

SarahC (sarahcarmack) | 220 comments I wondered if anyone had read My Family and Other Animals? I have heard good things about it and wondered if it is a good between-the-wars book. Also is there a family connection between him and Laurence Durrell who wrote The Alexandria Quartet, which I have heard is a really good multi-volume story set in Egypt before and after WWII?

message 2: by DJ (new)

DJ  (djdivaofjava) | 269 comments I have both MY FAMILY AND OTHER ANIMALS and also THE ALEXANDRIA QUARTET,I haven't read them yet(ashamed to admit it re My Family and Other Animals),but I have a friend IRL + GRs who recently read and adored The Quartet and in all honesty that's why I bought it!
Sorry I can't offer a co read just now but I have gotten caught up reading Thoreau Walden and plan to follow with a biography on him and one on Concord where he built his house....

message 3: by SarahC (new)

SarahC (sarahcarmack) | 220 comments Thanks for the info, DJ. Maybe some of the other members have some good recommendations of either or both authors and we might discuss at a later time on this group if Gabrielle and others are interested.

message 4: by DJ (new)

DJ  (djdivaofjava) | 269 comments That would be lovely!
I need to message you PM as I have some news....

message 5: by SarahC (new)

SarahC (sarahcarmack) | 220 comments I will be waiting to hear from you!

message 6: by DJ (new)

DJ  (djdivaofjava) | 269 comments I think you will be happy for me :-)
How are you feeling now?

message 7: by Gabriele (new)

Gabriele Wills (muskoka) | 526 comments Mod
It sounds good, Sarah! And yes, Laurence Durrell was his brother.

message 8: by Ivan (new)

Ivan I have read a 3rd of My Family and Other Animals (Classic, Nature, Penguin) by Gerald Durrell My Family and Other Animals by Gerald Durrell and think it's really wonderful. I saw a BBC film of this not long ago with Imelda Staunton as the mother and Matthew Goode as Lawrence. Russull Tovey from "The History Boys" was in it too. The film was terrific too - great scenery.

message 9: by SarahC (new)

SarahC (sarahcarmack) | 220 comments Ivan wrote: "I have read a 3rd of My Family and Other Animals (Classic, Nature, Penguin) by Gerald DurrellMy Family and Other Animals by Gerald Durrell and think it's really wonderful. I saw a BBC film of t..."

Ivan, I just scouted for the Gerald Durrell book this week at a good used book store but no luck. I keep forgetting to check the public library online catalog. They might have it.

message 10: by DJ (new)

DJ  (djdivaofjava) | 269 comments Sarah I have a slightly battered copy of My Family and Other Animals I could send you of you would like?
Just let me know? :-)

message 11: by SarahC (new)

SarahC (sarahcarmack) | 220 comments You are too good DJ. I will message you separately because I owe you a message I am sure anyway -- or let's just say I do! haha

message 12: by DJ (new)

DJ  (djdivaofjava) | 269 comments Look forward to it.
Sorry I am behind on correspondence but have lots of lovely news.....
Your welcome(about Book).