Cozy Mysteries discussion

Reading Challenges > Theme Read - October 2010

Comments Showing 1-50 of 72 (72 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Suzanne (last edited Sep 17, 2010 12:14PM) (new)

Suzanne | 188 comments I can't believe it's time to start thinking of a new month already!

For October, let's go with the obvious and read a mystery centered around Halloween or autumn. Or, read a mystery centered around something usually associated with Halloween (but not occurring around Halloween) - i.e. ghosts, witches, candy, costumes, etc.

To celebrate National Card Making Day, read a book centered around paper crafts - i.e. card making, scrapbooking, rubber stamping

message 2: by Sherrie (new)

Sherrie (vampirekisses2) | 418 comments I'll be reading Witch Way to Murder (Ophelia & Abby, #1) by Shirley Damsgaard and Paper, Scissors, Death (Kiki Lowenstein Scrap-n-Craft Mysteries, #1) by Joanna Campbell Slan .

message 3: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 206 comments I'll hold off reading Wicked Witch Murder (Lucy Stone, #16) by Leslie Meier until October. I got Keepsake Crimes (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #1) by Laura Childs when Laura Childs was the author of the month so I'll read it for the paper craft book.

message 4: by Chris (new)

Chris Curtis (cjccur) | 68 comments This one looks like it fits the theme. I'll have to see if our library has it.
Candy Apple Dead (A Candy Shop Mystery, #1) by Sammi Carter

message 5: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

Marisa (moretta) | 3909 comments Mod
Great, now I've to look for some books ;)

message 6: by Sukhi (new)

Sukhi (svgoomer) Not a cozy, but definitely classic. I'll be picking up Bram Stoker's Dracula. It's been years since I read it, but I'm craving the spooky story for cool, crips October nights. And I think it'll match well with the buddy reads for Wilkie Collins.

Dracula by Bram Stoker

message 7: by Caroline (new)

Caroline | 661 comments For card making day, I'd recommend Elizabeth Bright's series. Good fun books.

message 8: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

Well, let's see if we can cover all the points:

1.- Halloween or related

1.1.- Halloween: Perhaps A Catered Halloween (A Mystery with Recipes, #5) by Isis Crawford or Sympathy for the Devil (Madeline Bean Mystery, Book 1) by Jerrilyn Farmer (the murder is set at a Halloween Party)

1.2.- Ghosts, witches, candy... : Perhaps Charmed to Death (Ophelia & Abby, #2) by Shirley Damsgaard (and I get another state ;) )

2.- Paper craft: I think that I'll read Cut to the Corpse (A Decoupage Mystery, #2) by Lucy Lawrence or Stamped Out (Stamping Sisters, #1) by Terri Thayer (and I get another state)

Well, we'll see...

message 9: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 22043 comments Mod
Marisa wrote: "Great, now I've to look for some books ;)"

Such a hardship, isn't it? LOL

message 10: by Valorie (new)

Valorie  | 550 comments I think I'm going to read A Charmed Death (A Bewitching Mystery, #2) by Madelyn Alt for the Halloween theme and Stuck on Murder (A Decoupage Mystery, #1) by Lucy Lawrence for the paper theme.

message 11: by Linda (new)

Linda B | 200 comments I am going to try The Trouble With Witches (Ophelia & Abby, #3) by Shirley Damsgaard for the halloween theme and Stuck on Murder (A Decoupage Mystery, #1) by Lucy Lawrence for the card and paper theme.

message 12: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

Heather L wrote: "Marisa wrote: "Great, now I've to look for some books ;)"

Such a hardship, isn't it? LOL"

Yes LOL A friend of mine who doesn't want to read cozy because she says she's hooked on too many series (she reads mainly romance :D ) was helping me to look for books at some state and she said it wa very funny.

message 13: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthas48) | 161 comments I'm reading Dracula by Bram Stoker & Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury for other group reads so they can count for my scary book.
Will try to read Keepsake Crimes (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #1) by Laura Childs for the paper crafts book.

message 14: by Kim (new)

Kim (catmommie) I'm thinking: Ghost of a Chance, and if I can find it this weekend, Murder, She Wrote: Trick or Treachery.

message 15: by Kim (new)

Kim (catmommie) I found that one on ebay for $1 or so, brand-new. It sounded good, so I figured what the heck? I hope to find Thyme of Death this weekend too, for the monthly read.

message 16: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments Kim wrote: "I'm thinking: Ghost of a Chance, and if I can find it this weekend, Murder, She Wrote: Trick or Treachery."

The Chintz 'n China books are all pretty good reads. Some are better than others, of course!

message 17: by KarenF (new)

KarenF (cleocleveland) | 29 comments After my latest library excursion I've found my October theme reads:

For Halloween I'm going to read: The Trouble With Magic (A Bewitching Mystery, #1) by Madelyn Alt

And for paper crafts I'll try: Keepsake Crimes (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #1) by Laura Childs since I'm enjoying the Tea Shop mysteries.

message 18: by Kim (last edited Sep 25, 2010 09:19PM) (new)

Kim (catmommie) well, I was able to get Murder, She Wrote: Trick or Treachery for this month's read, and I'll read Ghost of a Chance.

BN didn't have Thyme of Death; they only had about six copies of The Tale of Applebeck Orchard. They really did some shifting around of shelves and had less stock. That worries me.

message 19: by Kimberly (last edited Oct 25, 2010 10:33AM) (new)

Kimberly (whatkreads) I'm going to read Frill Kill (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #5) by Laura Childs (10/25)

message 20: by Andrea (last edited Nov 04, 2010 05:52PM) (new)

Andrea (anniec85) | 75 comments Yay for October and Halloween (my favorite holiday). I can't wait to read some Halloween themed cozies.

For this month's theme, I'll read:

1. The Trouble With Magic by Madelyn Alt.
2. Keepsake Crimes by Laura Childs.

The Trouble with Magic was ok. I liked the characters, but the mystery wasn't the best. I'd read the next in the series though.

I wasn't a fan of Keepsake Crimes. The story didn't focus enough on the mystery in my opinion.

message 21: by Lindy-Lane (last edited Nov 03, 2010 08:34AM) (new)

Lindy-Lane (moonbacklit) | 73 comments I'm going to read:

2/2 DONE; UPDATED 11.3:

No Rest for the Wiccan by Madelyn Alt 10.31

Tragic Magic by Laura Childs 10.20

FINISHED:
Tragic Magic (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #7) by Laura Childs No Rest for the Wiccan (A Bewitching Mystery, #4) by Madelyn Alt

message 22: by Trine (new)

Trine (trinespageongoodreads) | 200 comments Great themes as always, Suzanne. :-)

I'll be reading Desolate Angel (A Dead Detective Mystery, #1) by Chaz McGee by Chaz McGee and Inked Up (Stamping Sisters, #2) by Terri Thayer by Terri Thayer.

Happy Reading, everyone! :-)

message 23: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments Trine wrote: "Great themes as always, Suzanne. :-)

I'll be reading Desolate Angel (A Dead Detective Mystery, #1) by Chaz McGee by Chaz McGee and Inked Up (Stamping Sisters, #2) by Terri Thayer by Terri Thayer.

Happy ..."

I read DESOLATE ANGEL last year and loved it. I had the bad guy figured out early on, but the story, to me anyway, is more about redemption than the mystery.

message 24: by Kaye (new)

Kaye (momgee) | 862 comments My books for this month's theme are Keepsake Crimes (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #1) by Laura Childs and Wicked Witch Murder (Lucy Stone, #16) by Leslie Meier

message 25: by Trine (new)

Trine (trinespageongoodreads) | 200 comments Melodie wrote: "Trine wrote: "Great themes as always, Suzanne. :-)

I'll be reading Desolate Angel (A Dead Detective Mystery, #1) by Chaz McGee by Chaz McGee and Inked Up (Stamping Sisters, #2) by Terri Thayer by [author:Terri Thayer|5157..."

Glad you enjoyed the book, Melodie. :-)

Have you read the next book in the series?

message 26: by Nell (new)

Nell | 1179 comments I will read Paper, Scissors, Death A Kiki Lowenstein Scrap-N-Craft Mystery by Joanna Campbell Slan and either Charmed to Death (Ophelia & Abby, #2) by Shirley Damsgaard or Hex Marks the Spot (A Bewitching Mystery, #3) by Madelyn Alt

message 27: by Kaye (new)

Kaye (momgee) | 862 comments Kaye wrote: "My books for this month's theme are Keepsake Crimes (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #1) by Laura Childs and Wicked Witch Murder (Lucy Stone, #16) by Leslie Meier"

Halfway through Keepsake Crimes and enjoying it immensely.

message 28: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

One question, I have an Urban Fantasy book about a witch who is pursuing a werewolf killer? Do you think it fits for Halloween them?

message 29: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

I've just read Charmed to Death (Ophelia & Abby, #2) by Shirley Damsgaard for mystery around witches. I've liked it a lot, I think I'll keep the series in mind (I don't know when I'll read the next book, however, because of the TBR but...)

message 30: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments Trine wrote: "Melodie wrote: "Trine wrote: "Great themes as always, Suzanne. :-)

I'll be reading Desolate Angel (A Dead Detective Mystery, #1) by Chaz McGee by Chaz McGee and Inked Up (Stamping Sisters, #2) by Terri Thayer by [author:T..."

I haven't read ANGEL INTERRUPTED yet, but it's very near the top of The Pile!

message 31: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments Kari wrote: "I like this series and I am reading it order. I have not reached the end yet but I understand #7 was one of the best books in the series."

Assume you are talking about the Abby & Ophelia series, Kari, and you're right. I read the other books in the series, but was somewhat ambivalent abou the books. #7, however, was excellent!

message 32: by Sherrie (new)

Sherrie (vampirekisses2) | 418 comments Finished Witch Way to Murder (Ophelia & Abby, #1) by Shirley Damsgaard , really liked it. Now on to the second book for this month.

message 33: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

Well, I have five books in front of me, so I hope to enjoy them, thank you for the info.

message 34: by Valorie (new)

Valorie  | 550 comments I've read A Charmed Death (A Bewitching Mystery, #2) by Madelyn Alt and Legend of the Jade Dragon (A Chintz 'n China Mystery, #2) by Yasmine Galenorn for the Halloween theme. I really enjoyed Legend of the Jade Dragon. I liked it better than the first book in series. A Charmed Death was good. Nothing to write home about, but worth the read.

message 35: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments Valorie wrote: "I've read A Charmed Death (A Bewitching Mystery, #2) by Madelyn Alt and Legend of the Jade Dragon (A Chintz 'n China Mystery, #2) by Yasmine Galenorn for the Halloween theme. I really enjoyed Legend of the Jade Dragon. I liked it better th..."

I liked Yasmine Galenorn's Chintz 'n China mystery series, too. Much better than most of her other paranormal stuff actually.

message 36: by Linda (new)

Linda B | 200 comments Featured Author & Theme Reads - October

FAC: Thyme of Death By Susan Wittig Albert 10/9 ****

Theme Reads:
The Trouble with WitchesBy Shirley Damsgaard 10-13 ****
Stuck on Murderby Lucy Lawrence

Thyme of Death (China Bayles, #1) by Susan Wittig Albert The Trouble With Witches (Ophelia & Abby, #3) by Shirley Damsgaard Stuck on Murder (A Decoupage Mystery, #1) by Lucy Lawrence

I have two books read and really enjoyed them both. Just started the last one.

message 37: by Kim (last edited Oct 14, 2010 05:30PM) (new)

Kim (catmommie) I've finished Ghost of a Chance and will be starting Murder, She Wrote: Trick or Treachery tonight.

I did manage to get Thyme of Death, but I'm not happy with the quality of the copy I received. The description said never read, but she didn't mention yellow pages and a wet basement smell. After buying on ebay for about five or so years, this is the first time where I'm really not too pleased. oh well.

message 38: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

I'm going to include Night of the Living Deed (A Haunted Guesthouse Mystery, #1) by E.J. Copperman for mysteries about something related to Halloween (ghosts).

message 39: by Sherrie (new)

Sherrie (vampirekisses2) | 418 comments Finished my second book Paper, Scissors, Death (Kiki Lowenstein Scrap-n-Craft Mysteries, #1) by Joanna Campbell Slan today. I really enjoyed it and will continue with the series.

message 40: by Caroline (new)

Caroline | 661 comments I wasn't planning to participate in the challenge because I just read what I want when I want but this fits the challenge and I just finished it. Excellent book! Fatal Undertaking (Buryin' Barry Mysteries) by Mark de Castrique

message 41: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

I've finished my book about paper crafts, Stamped Out (A Stamping Sisters Mystery, #1) by Terri Thayer , today. Not bad but a strange "voice". I'll read the next one to see if I like it better.

message 42: by Daphne (new)

Daphne (daphne2163) | 134 comments I completed my October Theme reads and enjoyed them both! I may try to get another Halloween theme book in before the end of the month.

October 2010 - Theme Reads

Witches' Bane - Halloween
Witches' Bane (China Bayles, #2) by Susan Wittig Albert - Completed 10/14/10 ****

Invitation to Murder - Paper Crafts
Invitation to Murder (A Card Making Mystery, #1) by Elizabeth Bright - Completed 10/18/10 ***

message 43: by Linda (new)

Linda B | 200 comments I have finished both the books in my theme reads.The last one I finished was Stuck on Murder (A Decoupage Mystery, #1) by Lucy Lawrence It was good. I enjoyed it. Hope to get in another Susan Wittig Albert read for this month.

message 44: by Valorie (new)

Valorie  | 550 comments Do we know when our theme reads for November will be posted?

message 45: by Lindy-Lane (new)

Lindy-Lane (moonbacklit) | 73 comments Got one read:

Tragic Magic (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #7) by Laura Childs

(orignal post #23 for list)

message 46: by Valorie (new)

Valorie  | 550 comments Heather L wrote: "Valorie, I was just wondering the same thing! GMTA!

Do we need to brainstorm ideas? November is...Cold. Election Day (US--can't come soon enough, who isn't sick to death of political ads?) Than..."

Great ideas Heather!

message 47: by Kim (new)

Kim (catmommie) Black Friday. Politicians in general, lol. Author's Day. Literacy Day. Pins & Needles Day. Donut Day. Button Day. Homemade Bread Day.

ok, that's enough. ;)

message 48: by Sherrie (new)

Sherrie (vampirekisses2) | 418 comments Anyone hear from Suzanne on when the new themes will be posted?

message 49: by Valorie (new)

Valorie  | 550 comments We are all breathlessly awaiting her post!

message 50: by Valorie (new)

Valorie  | 550 comments I finished the paper theme book with Stuck on Murder (A Decoupage Mystery, #1) by Lucy Lawrence . Really enjoyed it. Cute, quick cozy read. Can't wait to jump into the next book of the series!

« previous 1