Gothicked (Gothic Novel Lovers) discussion

General > Adding books to shelf

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hannahr) | 180 comments Lisa,
Currently the book shelf can only be added to by the moderator (you). Any way to modify it so members can add favorite gothics?

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Greer | 66 comments Mod
Oh, oops. I'll take a look at that. Thanks, Hannah!

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Hannah, it will take a while to add all the ones I'd like to that would represent the genre. :) So, add away any that you'd like. That would be great! Perhaps we could even do a monthly reading pick... at some point.

message 4: by Hannah (last edited Sep 17, 2010 07:10AM) (new)

Hannah (hannahr) | 180 comments Lisa wrote: "Perhaps we could even do a monthly reading pic..."

That would be fun.

Also, are you going to add a gothic cover photo or something "gothic-y" to represent the group?

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Good idea... I'll dig something up. ;)

message 6: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hannahr) | 180 comments Lisa wrote: "Good idea... I'll dig something up. ;)"

THAT photo is the quintessential gothic representation for this group - I love it! haha

message 7: by Lisa (new)

I love the blue tones in there... so pretty. I don't know how good the novel it comes from is: 'The House is Dark' by Rebecca James.

What a title. ha.

message 8: by Hannah (last edited Sep 17, 2010 07:42AM) (new)

Hannah (hannahr) | 180 comments Lisa wrote: "'The House is Dark' by Rebecca James.

What a title. ha."

If I wrote one, my gothic would be called "The Empty Fridge - Except for that Green Moldy Thing in the Back"

Catchy, doncha think?

message 9: by Lisa (new)

Yes, that is catchy.

What is interesting as I'm adding to the shelf is how consistent some Gothic novelists are and how inconsistent others are. Eden, for example, wrote so many, but I have only found two I liked. LOL. So, I didn't add all of hers. What do you think? Should we add the ones that we consider 3+ stars (and I know we will disagree on some of those, not a biggie). But should we bother adding all of an author's works if most of them aren't good? LOL Opinions? I'm thinking add the ones we think get 3 stars or better. Then, we shouldn't have too many stinkers on the shelf.

message 10: by Hannah (last edited Sep 17, 2010 08:47AM) (new)

Hannah (hannahr) | 180 comments Hmmm, I tend to agree. Whatever member adds them should try and only add their 3 star or better choices. That way will probably take care of most of the gothic writers anyway, and if people want to read more by an author, they can always look up all their works on GoodReads.

message 11: by MasterGamgee (new)

MasterGamgee How can I add a book? I couldn't see how, or more likely I don't know what I'm doing :)

message 12: by Hannah (last edited Oct 16, 2010 09:10AM) (new)

Hannah (hannahr) | 180 comments Susan wrote: "How can I add a book? I couldn't see how, or more likely I don't know what I'm doing :)"

Hey Susan!
Go to the bottom of the group page where it says "Bookshelf" and click on it. Once you're in the Gothicked bookshelf page, there is a block on the upper left with the words "Add Books". Type in the book title you want to add and enter. It should then appear in the group's bookshelves.

Let me know if it doesn't work.

message 13: by Christine (new)

Christine Honsinger (fiddlette) | 13 comments Lisa wrote: "Yes, that is catchy.

What is interesting as I'm adding to the shelf is how consistent some Gothic novelists are and how inconsistent others are. Eden, for example, wrote so many, but I have only f..."

Lisa, I'd love to know which of the Eden's you liked and recommend...i've never read hers, and i remember my grandma reading her years back and liking her...

message 14: by Lisa (new)

I liked Winterwood... the others, I think I can leave. :)

message 15: by Christine (new)

Christine Honsinger (fiddlette) | 13 comments Winterwood it is then, thanks!