The Next Best Book Club discussion

Revive a Dead Thread > Hardest Thing About Reading A Book

Comments Showing 1-50 of 71 (71 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Val (last edited Jul 08, 2008 01:35AM) (new)

Val (valz) | 367 comments I read this thread in another group and thought we could adopt it.

I'm going to steal an answer I read that I agree with--
for me the hardest thing is ending a book I love. I race and race to finish it and then I do and there's no more wonderful story.

So does anyone want to play?

message 2: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (missfryer) | 453 comments I hate leaving my friends :(
I get so involved emotionally in really, really enthralling books, so when it's over I am quite sad!

message 3: by Charity (new)

Charity (charityross) The hardest thing about reading a book for me is waiting to actually get sucked into the story.

Tim (Mole) The Gunslinger (Mole) | 103 comments like everyone else says the end is like losing a friend but even worse waiying for a sequel it kills me!!!!lol also a hard thing is trying to explain to people who dont read why i love reading so much!impossible you either get it or you dont

message 5: by Kirsty (new)

Kirsty (kirstyreadsandcreates) | 610 comments The hardest thing for me at the moment is not falling asleep! I'm so tired all the time that as soon as I start to read my eyes want to close. It even happens with the books that I'm really enjoying... so annoying!

message 6: by Charity (new)

Charity (charityross) Oooo...I wanted to add that one of the hardest things about reading a book is this site...which completely distracts from actual reading. :-) I love it!

message 7: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10124 comments Mod
The hardest thing about reading a book for me is the struggle of choosing which one to read and not thinking about the others sitting on the shelf waiting their turn. Because then I find that I rush and rush to get done to be able to start the next one.

Another hard thing for me is that I am only able to read one at a time, when I really wish I could sit and them all at the same time...

message 8: by Kirsty (new)

Kirsty (kirstyreadsandcreates) | 610 comments Lori, you've summed up me exactly! For ages I've thought that I'm the only one who can't concentrate on her current read because I'm thinking of all the books I could be reading. lol. It's a real problem!

message 9: by April (new)

April (escapegal) | 130 comments The hardest thing for me is putting the book down and doing my homework--or housework--or work work!!

message 10: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Kirsty, its a horrible thing, isnt it? not being able to concentrate because of all the others books dying to be read?!! I used to refuse to buy more than three books at a time, and wouldnt replenish till I was on the last one because of all the anxiety that went along with it, but now my tbr pile is over 20... Im near sweats when it comes time to pick a new book.

message 11: by Kirsty (new)

Kirsty (kirstyreadsandcreates) | 610 comments lol. I don't usually have a problem picking a book, it's just that I can't focus on it because I'm thinking of the ones I'm not reading! meh.

message 12: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (countessofblooms) | 1128 comments I've found that the best way to avoid playing favorites and offending your books is to pick out 5 or 6 from your TBR pile and then going "eenie-meenie-miney-moe" to gradually eliminate them.

message 13: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

haa haa.. maybe i will do that this morning Logan!

The Book Whisperer (aka Boof) Lori, I agree with you - the hasdest thing is deciding what to read next. Infact, I love the whole ritual that goes into deciding my next book so much that sometimes it actually distracts me from reading the one I am supposed to be, lol. I love all the looking at reviews on the internet, picking them up and feeling the vibe (please, please, please tell me that I am not the only nutter that does this?).

Once I am into a book, the hardest thing (if I really enjoy it of course) is leaving the characters behind at the end. I have books that I read years and years ago that I still think of and wonder what they would be doing now.

message 15: by Kirsty (new)

Kirsty (kirstyreadsandcreates) | 610 comments Logan... genius. Will try that next time! I don't like offending my books!

message 16: by Kirsty (new)

Kirsty (kirstyreadsandcreates) | 610 comments Boof, I generally read the reviews before I add it to my to-read pile, so I don't need to read them before I pick what to read next. I do, however, spend a while choosing what to read next. I like to take into account the last book I read, my mood at the time, and how hectic my life is at the time (therefore how much time I can really devote to the book - I like to be able to take my time and really savour some books, whilst with others I can just read anywhere anytime)

message 17: by Macy (new)

Macy | 155 comments Definitely the hardest thing for me is to get anything else done when I'm really into a book. Somehow I always seem to come up with an excuse to read rather than doing laundry or making dinner or any other thing really!

I actually try to avoid reading reviews of books on my TBR list (unless they get there as a result of me seeing a review) - I like for the book to be as "new" as possible when I'm reading it.

Logan - thanks for the idea on narrowing down for the next book - that's always the hardest part!

message 18: by Sherry (new)

Sherry The hardest part for me while I'm reading is that real life starts to intrude and I begin to feel antsy.By real life I mean a messy house,
things that need doing,checking in with this group ect,ect...

Everytime I get a new book I always read the first chapter or two and then read the reviews so that choosing the next book is pretty easy for me.I have a huge amount of TBR books but by acquinting myself with them they stay in my memory.I find there is a flow to the choices when done like this although sometimes I get it wrong and I'll have trouble getting into the book because I've gone against the flow.

message 19: by Lorena (new)

Lorena (lorenalilian) The hardest thing about reading a book that has not capture my attention is having this mental battle to put it down, give up; or not give up because who knows it might get better, and then if I do give up how valid would be my dislike if I didn't even give it a full chance to win me over? Off course after reading one third you already know if you like a book or not ... but the twist at the end might change my mind. AGHHH!

The hardest thing about reading a book that I love from the beginning is trying to separate the fact that these are not real people, at least not real in my life, that these governments are not abusing power right now, not this way anyway ... that there aren't really vampires, or zombies or deadly plants in the backyard waiting for me to come out, so I don't need to be angry/worried/ sad/formulating a scape route, during the times while I am not reading.

Yeah, it is exhausting to be me ...

message 20: by Lorena (last edited Jul 08, 2008 09:19AM) (new)

Lorena (lorenalilian) ;o)

message 21: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lorena, you are starting to sound like Logan a bit there, with the formulating excape routes from the horrific characters in the novels :)

BTW, Val.. I love this thread :)

message 22: by Santina (new)

Santina (littlesaintina) | 76 comments The hardest thing for me is making my eyes want to read more. I can read for hours, then my eyes will say enough, and I still want to read more. I'll read until my eyes start to water, then I know I have to close them for a bit...lol.

Also the end, I always get sad when I come to the end of the book, I also feel like I'm saying good bye to friends.

message 23: by Emma (new)

Emma  Blue (litlover) | 2389 comments I hate the ending. For it to end...to leave the people I know and love more than myself.

message 24: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 157 comments one of the hardest things about reading a book is this site...which completely distracts from actual reading. :-) I love it!
-------------------------------------------
I was gonna say this too!! Sometimes, I'm on the computer so much, it's almost time for bed & I haven't read my book yet! So sad.

message 25: by Emma (new)

Emma  Blue (litlover) | 2389 comments I hate and love that as well!

message 26: by Val (new)

Val (valz) | 367 comments Oh Kirsty--no kidding, I didn't go to sleep until 3pm last night.
Not the thing to do.

message 27: by Macy (new)

Macy | 155 comments This is kind of a sub-question related to the topic: How do you keep yourself from re-reading books? Or how often do you re-read books?

I know that some people only read books once, regardless of how much they like them. But there are some books for me (Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Outlander, Mists of Avalon, etc....) that I just can't help but read over and over. It's always so hard for me because there are thousands of books I want to read and yet I still want to revisit so many other books. That's another of the hardest things for me when it comes to reading.

message 28: by Val (new)

Val (valz) | 367 comments Charity, that's so funny. I wanted to ask everyone how can they be reading a book and goodreads at the same time? It's hard!

message 29: by Val (new)

Val (valz) | 367 comments Boof, I agree about thinking about characters after the book is finished. I often makeup what I think happened to them -- just the way I wanted it to go! LOL

message 30: by Jen (new)

Jen | 278 comments I love everyone's answers and can relate to just about all of them. My most recent problem is enjoying what I'm reading without trying to race through to get to the next one that I'm dying to read. Since My book addiction was bad enough and this group has only added to my angst. I always enjoy what I'm reading but am constantly looking at how far I am from the end so that I can start the next one.

message 31: by Sherry (new)

Sherry I often have my next book planned while reading my current book.Goes with the flow...

Macy,I tend to revisit books I love,especially if I'm under stress and I want to go somewhere familiar and engrossing.It's comforting somehow.

message 32: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (countessofblooms) | 1128 comments Macy, it's hard for me to go back to some of my favorites, but they tend to call out to me at the right time. I can tell that I'll probably give another read to Corelli's Mandolin probably this summer, it's been long enough that the sentences aren't ingrained in my head anymore. I also have had a hankering to read the extended Ender series again, normally I just read Ender's Game yearly and figure that's good enough but I've been talking about Speaker so much that I've felt the urge to reread it this year.

I like going back to favorites because it's like visiting a friend after a long time apart. You know that no matter what has passed between the two of you in the meantime, you'll click right back into that familiar rhythm.

message 33: by Kirsty (new)

Kirsty (kirstyreadsandcreates) | 610 comments I'd really love to re-read books, especially the Harry Potter series, but there are just too many unread books out there. I have re-read a couple, and enjoyed them again, but I was still thinking that I should be reading something new!

Oh well, with the UK on the brink of a recession, I may be re-reading a lot more in the near future... my library isn't particularly great. They very rarely get the newest releases in. There is a better library in central Manchester, but its a bit of a pain to get to, whereas my local library is only 5 mins drive from where I work.

message 34: by Macy (new)

Macy | 155 comments Logan - I know how you feel about the Ender's Game books - with all the recent discussion I'm feeling the urge to read them again!

Kristy - I'm almost embarassed to admit this, but I usually read Harry Potter (the whole series) at least twice a year. It only takes about 3 weeks or so - so I don't feel too bad. But each time I read them I see new things and pick up on themes I didn't get before. This happens with a bunch of books for me - not just HP.

That's too bad that you don't have a great library. I've been getting most of my books at the library lately. One thing I love here, not sure how much they do it with libraries there, is the library book sale. The books are usually dirt cheap and there are tons to choose from. That's always a light to focus on while we go into recession!

message 35: by Stacie (new)

Stacie I am in total agreement with all comments...my daughter and husband make fun of me when I sit and stare at my bookshelves, trying to find the next perfect book. As the shelves are in our dining room, this is often done during dinner.

The other hardest thing for me is trying to remember books...I read so much that they sometimes get scrambled or if I wasn't 100% engaged I forget most of it. I hate that. Especially since joining this group. There have been numerous books brought up for discussion that I have read before, but just can't remember enough to be a part of the conversation.

As for leaving my "friends," I find that sometimes I mistake what has happened in a book for real life...oops! I gotta get out more!

message 36: by Lorena (new)

Lorena (lorenalilian) Stacie, don't feel bad the other day I caught myself thinking I wonder whatever happen to that girl in The Secret Life of Bees ... yeah, she is in fact a fictional character... ;o(

message 37: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 157 comments Stacie, sometimes the characters are so good, I wish they'd be in RL. Be friends with them.

message 38: by Sherry (new)

Sherry Lorena,haha!That's to funny.

message 39: by Jen (new)

Jen | 278 comments That is hysterical, Lorena! BTW, did you see that they are making Secret Life of Bees into a movie? It seems that all books are being made into movies these days.

message 40: by Lorena (new)

Lorena (lorenalilian) Jen ... That should be a great movie, I enjoyed that novel quite a lot. I hope they don't water it down too much.

message 41: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 16, 2008 10:15AM) (new)

Ok, so it was hard to find the right thread to post this to, but maybe this will work.

I have to start by paiting the scene. It was lunch break and I went to my favorite summertime lunch break reading spot which is a large park in the town I work in. It is a rather large park with lots of ball fields and walking paths and a river runs across one side where there is parking area. You can park your vehicle in the shade, pointing toward the river, roll your windows down and read in peace.

That is until today. Some shirtless guy with tats pull his car within 5 spaces of mine and cranks up his stereo. Don't get me wrong, I like modern rock, but not while I'm getting my noontime reading in!! Fortunately, it was withing the last 10 minutes, but I needed to vent somewhere!!!!!!!!!

message 42: by Lorena (new)

Lorena (lorenalilian) Jeremy, so sorry ... what book was it? we had a similar encounter the other day with a group of kids blasting some sort of rap music with horrendous lyrics and as we were about to leave with the girls a policeman came and made them leave ... he he he ... the good thing about small town living.

message 43: by Sherry (new)

Sherry Just think of the bad Kharma he is making for himself with his inconsiderate behaviour.Eventially fate will get even!

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

Sherry, a coworker just told me I was showing my age. Ha!

Lorena, it is the stinking NonZero book that I am ever determined to just get out of the way. I don't mind the book itself, but I just want to suck the information out of it and get it over with so I can back to some good fiction. Last night my wife and I switched vehicles and I brought the kids home after the ballgame. Since my book was in the truck, I was ever so tempted to start Haunted but I knew if I did, I would probably never finish NonZero. Plus, by the time I got the kids fed, she was home anyway. :)

message 45: by Santina (new)

Santina (littlesaintina) | 76 comments I don't know if it's you showing your age Jeremy, the world is so full of noise all the time, adding to it is irritating. I was hiking a little while a ago, the pristine beautiful ancient forest and this guy walks by in with is ipod (I own one and love it) so loud I could hear the actual words. I just wanted to rip the earphones out of his ears and ask him what the hell he was doing there. Some places should be reserved for enjoying the nature.

message 46: by Sherry (new)

Sherry It's really difficult as well when people are so completely out of tune with others because they are only aware of their own self.It does not require getting "older"to feel frustrated with that.My son would be just as irritated and he's just a young lad of 17.

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

LOL! You must have been frustrated. It makes me wonder where I could go and guarantee peace.

message 48: by Sherry (new)

Sherry And he would never be as inconsiderate as the tattooed fellow as to be blaring his music.Being young does not mean being loud and self centered!

message 49: by Sherry (new)

Sherry Hmmm,good question Jeremy!

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah, I think when I was younger I was considerate of others...but probably there were some blips. Sorry anyone who I ever might have annoyed!! :)

« previous 1