Room 107, Period 4 discussion

What are the best books? What makes them great?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Terry (last edited Sep 16, 2010 06:13AM) (new)

Terry | 9 comments Mod
Readers share the reading they like with other readers. What books have you read that you've enjoyed. No, not enjoyed: LOVED. What titles have made you laugh out loud, shed a tear (or at least get a lump in your throat), want to change yourself or the world? What book has altered the way you see yourself, your people, your country, your world? Elaborate.

Use my sample as a model. Be at least as thoughtful and reflective, and read the posts above yours, making mention of relevant connections. Use this discussion to find books and friends who share your tastes in books.

Although this is on the internet, please make use of conventional English spelling and grammatical constructions. Also, use the 'add book/author' button to help readers follow your recommendations.

message 2: by Terry (last edited Sep 16, 2010 06:13AM) (new)

Terry | 9 comments Mod
There are so many good books, I barely know where to begin. My all time favorite book at that moment is The Road. It isn't the sort of book to which most high school students would connect: it moves at a deathly creep, focusing on the relationship between a father and his son. Still, their relationship was powerful to watch ebb and flow.

When I was a junior, I loved fantasy and science fiction. I read Stranger in a Strange Land when I was sixteen, and was blown away by this classic science fiction story of an alien come to Earth. I'd read other books by the author that were mere adventure stories, but this one had profound implications, making me question truth and the nature of reality. Another book I enjoyed at the same time was Cry, the Beloved Country. This tale of South Africa was in some ways more alien than "Stranger's" Martian. By reading this, I began to believe, to understand that the world was far, far larger and more interesting than I knew, and it feed my desire to see more of it.

Some of my other favorites you might check out include: Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal, The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, The Knife of Never Letting Go, Audrey, Wait!, Swim the Fly, The Wanderers. I'm sure there are many, many I've forgotten about.

message 3: by Lucero (new)

Lucero Aguirre | 5 comments Well I don't have an all time favorite book but i do have an all time favorite author and that would Ellen Hopkins. I love that women the first book I read from her was Crank.After that book I tried all her other books. I like them because they are real life situations that happen all the time around us. I also like them because they are a window for me and I like to read about what are peoples lifes are like.

message 4: by Carlos (new)

Carlos Cardenas | 5 comments Gotta say my favorite kinds of books are those teen adventorous books, For example All The Way, It brings my attention between the covers it makes me wanna keep going keep going and just keep going i Also like adventure books

message 5: by Angela (new)

Angela Schwitters | 5 comments Well, I would say that my all time favorite book is Twilight. I like the fact that this book has not only romance but action at the same time. It is mainly about a girl who falls in love with a vampire and deals with all the drama that vampires have.

My favorite type of books are romance, comedies and the ones that are very realistic. I have recently read The Nannies which was a very girly/funny book.