Room 107, Period 2 discussion

What are the best books? What makes them great?

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Terry (new)

Terry | 14 comments Mod
What books have you read that you've enjoyed. No, not enjoyed: LOVED. What titles have made you laugh out loud, shed a tear (or at least get a lump in your throat), want to change yourself or the world? What book has altered the way you see yourself, your people, your country, your world? Elaborate.

Use my sample as a model. Be at least as thoughtful and reflective, and read the posts above yours, making mention of relevant connections.

Although this is on the internet, please make use of conventional English spelling and grammatical constructions. Also, use the 'add book/author' button to help readers follow your recommendations.

message 2: by Terry (new)

Terry | 14 comments Mod
There are so many good books, I barely know where to begin. My all time favorite book at that moment is The Road. It isn't the sort of book to which most high school students would connect: it moves at a deathly creep, focusing on the relationship between a father and his son. Still, their relationship was powerful to watch ebb and flow.

When I was a junior, I loved fantasy and science fiction. I read Stranger in a Strange Land when I was sixteen, and was blown away by this story of an alien come to Earth. I'd read other books by the author that were mere adventure stories, but this one had profound implications, making me question truth and the nature of reality. Another book I enjoyed at the same time was Cry, the Beloved Country. This tale of South Africa was in some ways more alien than "Stranger's" Martian. By reading this, I began to believe, to understand that the world was far, far larger and more interesting than I knew, and it feed my desire to see more of it.

Some of my other favorites you might check out include: Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal, The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, The Knife of Never Letting Go, Audrey, Wait!, Swim the Fly, The Wanderers. I'm sure there are many, many I've forgotten about.