Barnes & Noble Nook discussion

Nook - The Technical Side > B&N eBook format versions

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 340 comments Does anyone know what format the books are that you buy directly from B&N? Is it ePub?

message 2: by Dorie (new)

Dorie (dorieann) Yep, they are all in ePub.

message 3: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 340 comments Thanks Dorie! That's what I thought, but I couldn't find anywhere to prove it.

message 4: by Dorie (new)

Dorie (dorieann) No problem, Meghan. I know for sure because this past weekend (being an OCD list-loving freak) I made a list of all the ebooks I have, where I got them, what I paid, and the format.

message 5: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) Meghan, just so you have the info, on the Tech Specs page for the Nook there is a list of supported formats. It supports more than just ePub book, but I'm sure you knew that already...just wanted you to have the info.

message 6: by Scott (new)

Scott | 292 comments Meghan, I just wanted to let you know that even though the ebooks that B&N sells are epub. You cannot view them on other epub readers because they have DRM (Digital Rights Management) attached. They can only be viewed on a Nook.

message 7: by Bree (new)

Bree (simplyparticular) What Scott said. plus, if you are on a Mac and download books from B&N site, you get .pdb (eReader) format, not ePub. The B&N Nook app on the iPhone also downloads .pdb. Just something to be aware of.

message 8: by Dusty (new)

Dusty Craine (dustycraine) Scott is right, except for the fact that can only be viewed on Nook. B&N also has applications that run on your PC, Mac, BlackBerry, iPod Touch, iPhone, and Android platforms. It's nice having those extra options, especially when your nook's battery runs low or you forget it at home and find yourself stuck somewhere for an extended amount of time.