V.C. Andrews discussion

What is your most favorite series?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 60 (60 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jody (last edited Sep 15, 2010 06:03PM) (new)

Jody | 85 comments Mod
Hey guys,

So I figured since this group has been quiet for so long, we might as well liven it up some! :D

I want to know what your favorite V.C. Andrews series is and why. Make your post interesting by telling us what drew you to it, kept you hooked and left you wanting more. I'll start by posting mine. :)

For me it's a hard choice. It's either between "Heaven" or "Dawn." Yes, it's true, I like the original Andrews series' more then that of the ghost writer, but I love them none the less.

"Darkest Hour" was the first book I ever picked up of the entire list, so I'm somewhat partial to it. I loved the storyline and characters, but I also feel the same about the "Casteel" series. What really drew me in was in wondering how a father, (or parent for that matter) could do that to their children.

I could go on and on about these books, but I'll give the floor to someone else for a bit. :p

message 2: by Erin (new)

Erin H I love the Landry series because I love Paul and Beau. If I had to pick one it would probably be Beau because he and Ruby belong together. I also love the relationship that Ruby has with Paul and sometimes I wish he wasn't her brother...but I was so angry when he was no longer a part of the series :(( I really like the character of Ruby, no reason in particular... I also like the character of Melody but I found it hard for her to be with Carey...for some reason I can't picture them together. I also could talk about this forever :)

message 3: by Jody (new)

Jody | 85 comments Mod
Talk talk! lol. I think I'm going to pick Ruby up again. I really enjoyed the first book, but it's been over 10 years, (if not more) since I've read it.

message 4: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 9 comments Hi Everyone!
My favorite series is a the Logan Series. I think that's because Heart Song was the first book I read by her, and it just pulled me in.

message 5: by Erin (new)

Erin H Yes the Logan series was so good!! But I can't remember if I read Music In the Night :)

Julie_ian_curtis | 5 comments i loved Heaven series best then Logan

message 7: by Loraine (last edited May 03, 2011 05:52AM) (new)

Loraine (rainebaby306) What a hard thing to do! Pick a favourite!! Well I think it would have to be Heaven Casteel who won me over the most...perhaps it was as simple as being the first Andrews book that I read or maybe it was the classic rags to riches tale? Farthingale Manor captivated me as much as it did Annie and like her, we discovered all the dark and dirty secrets revealed within. Coming a close second place would probably be Dawn and then Ruby coming in third. Dawn second because like Heaven it was a kind of rags to riches story, Ruby second because it was interesting for the main character to have a twin. The Dollanganger children's tale is a good one but I couldn't quite sit comfortable with the amount of blatant incest and the book that was told from Jory and Bart's perspective was just a bit too odd.

message 8: by J.N. (new)

J.N. (jncahill) | 39 comments I have two :-P Casteel and Doll.

Casteel--Heaven is my favorite VCA character. I love her strength, how she isn't perfect and makes mistakes, and I enjoyed her story plot. She had such an awful life yet she managed to rise above it. I also adored Logan (before the affair, of course) and Troy (love, love, love). I also loved Heaven's family and how she would do anything for them. She went through a lot of hell to provide for her family and letting them go so they'd be better off.

I have to admit I wasn't too crazy about Annie's story, though. But I loved the first three books and the last one was good.

Doll--I watched the movie first. My mom had it playing. I loved it. Then I saw one of my friends had the book (it had the movie cover) and I was so excited about it that she laughed and let me read it once she was done. Then she let me borrow the Doll, Casteel, and Cutler series. And My Sweet Audrina. They were her mom's. She liked them but I went crazy over them.

I just thought FITA was a great story. It was touching, horrifying, and so hard to put down. I felt so bad for the characters. POTW was like watching a train wreck--it was crazy! ITBT was interesting and I felt so bad for Bart. SOY was a great way to wrap up the current generation. And GOS was just sad. I actually felt bad for Olivia.

But these two series have really stuck with me over the years. I've re-read them several times and still love them as much as I did when I first read them

"I could go on and on about these books, but I'll give the floor to someone else for a bit."

^ lol, that's me too. I could talk about VCA forever. Loved hearing all your stories! :-)

message 9: by Destiny (new)

Destiny | 10 comments Flowers in the attic and Heaven are the top two, heaven being my favorite. I started reading heaven many years ago and read every book since.

message 10: by Chloe (new)

Chloe | 3 comments Ok I find all of the V.C Andrews books really weird but I must say I did love the Flowers in the Attic now some of you might think those books are the most weirdest but I still like it all the same

message 11: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 3 comments I love the Casteel Series and the Cutler series. My Sweet Audrina is probably my favourite book by the real author!!!

message 12: by Brianna (new)

Brianna | 22 comments My favorite series is the Casteel series. I guess it's just the combination of the rags-to-riches tale, like someone else mentioned. Also, the first Andrews book I ever read was "Heaven", so it got me into reading her as a teenager. The only thing I really don't like about the series is Logan. I was never a fan. I actually liked Troy a lot more, even though I obviously get why they couldn't be together. These books make you think weird stuff sometimes. lol

I liked the Cutler series too, and the Logan series was good for the first three books(I still need to finish that one).

Like someone else mentioned though, I could never quite see Melody and Cary together. I'm not really sure why.

As for the Dollanganger series, I liked the first two books, even though all the incest was kind of weird and not my thing. The third book was all right, never read the fourth, and the fifth made me feel really bad for Olivia.

Looks like I need to read the Landry series. :)

message 13: by Erin (new)

Erin H I think I might have to start re-reading some of the older series...probably the Landry ones-they are still my favorite:) Although I did enjoy the Casteel series, I wouldn't put it at the top of my list of favs...I have to agree with Brianna I didn't like Logan either and by the end of the series Heaven wasn't my favorite character-I liked her better in the earlier books.

message 14: by Brianna (new)

Brianna | 22 comments I didn't like her for sticking with Logan. I wish they'd have put a different love interest in or something.

Ok, now I want to read a VCA book. lol.

message 15: by April (new)

April Warner (fairiedreams) | 4 comments Definately Heaven. First series I read by V. C. Andrews and fell in love with Heaven. I enjoy all her books and own all but maybe the two newest ones. I also own two DVD's based on her books. Reading her books humbles you. Yes you probably have been through a lot but her characters make your seem not so bad and most important.....as strange as some circumstances are in her books, it's plausable. Her characters seems human too, not just some suped up hero with incredible drive or power.

message 16: by Julie_ian_curtis (new)

Julie_ian_curtis | 5 comments which DVD are they? id love to see RAIN but its not available in my country.

message 17: by Erin (new)

Erin H I have the Rain movie but haven't watched it yet...I'm a little hesitant because I enjoyed the series and they always say the book is better than the movie!

message 18: by Ummy (new)

Ummy | 2 comments Dawn Cutler series i say has to be the best.

message 19: by Ummy (new)

Ummy | 2 comments Julie_ian_curtis wrote: "which DVD are they? id love to see RAIN but its not available in my country."

you can watch it online :)

message 20: by Pages (new)

Pages My goodness, this takes me back. My absolute favourite is the Heaven Casteel series. The first series I ever read was Flowers in the Attic and I was hooked! Third favourite is the Dawn series and then Ruby Landry series. I've also, always had a soft spot for My Sweet Audrina. I bought the Rain series but by then it began to get a bit stale- I know the books followed a formula but up till then I had always liked the main female character.

With Rain I was starting to get a bit like ' yeah yeah' and couldn't help compare her to Dawn or Heaven.

I never read the later ones- butterfly and whatnot.

message 21: by Meika (new)

Meika | 1 comments my favorite series were casteel and Landry. I was in my teens when i last read them. I remember ordering them using the info in the back of the book and sending in a money order, waiting for the mail, LOL.

message 22: by Kiara (new)

Kiara | 1 comments Flowers in the attic !!!! For sure

message 23: by Chanda (new)

Chanda Presley | 5 comments Love them all, but my favorites are Flowers in the Attic and The Landry series! I love Flowers in the attic because I love survival dramas , and this one takes the top!

message 24: by Lianna (new)

Lianna Monk | 2 comments The Rain movie was just....bad. Really bad.

message 25: by Lianna (new)

Lianna Monk | 2 comments My favorite series, like many of you, is the Casteel series. As much as I loved Heaven and Troy, I also loved Fanny! That girl was so real. Everyone knows someone like her. She's awesome, and colorful, and so very entertaining.

My daughter loves the Delia series.

message 26: by Vir (new)

Vir My sweet Audrina is my personal fave. Have read it over multiple times. It just amazes me every time that her whole life( sense of time/ memory) could be thrown so out of whack so easily. I will never forget my surprise the first time reading this book when you find out what really happened. I wish this one were a series, but then again, you can't really do much more with this story.

message 27: by Donita (new)

Donita (xxamethyststarxx) | 22 comments Has anyone read The Welcome Child yet?

message 28: by Donita (new)

Donita (xxamethyststarxx) | 22 comments Has anyone read The Unwelcome Child yet?

message 29: by Erin (new)

Erin H Donita wrote: "Has anyone read The Unwelcome Child yet?"

I just got that book and I haven't had a chance to get to it yet :/...I'm hoping it's good!

message 30: by Donita (new)

Donita (xxamethyststarxx) | 22 comments I still haven't got a chance to read it yet either Erin. I am working on trying to finish the matched series I just started.

message 31: by Janelle (new)

Janelle Lino | 2 comments The Flowers In The Attic series

message 32: by Jia (new)

Jia Drisdom (nvrsleep3) | 4 comments I like the Dollanganget series as well. Do you like the books written by the ghost writer?

I also love heaven-- the first two and the prequel though. dark hearts (?) was just ok, but I hated Annie's story. Actually, I thought the idea was fantastic, but it wasn't pulled off well at all to me n

I decided to read the Landry seriess again, and I am so frustrated with Ruby! She doesn't stand up for herself. I had to put that one down. How i wish I could find detailed synopses of the newer books :-(

I loved Audrina as well, but I hated Arden (!)

message 33: by Erin (new)

Erin H I started the Forbidden Sister series and I actually enjoyed the first one. The author took a while to get into the story but I'm looking forward to the second one. The ghostwriter is ok, of course the originals are better and I do miss the five book series!

message 34: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Atkinson | 2 comments I prefer the dawn series.That one is my favorite so far but my daughter prefers the dollanger series..my mom loves the heaven series.

message 35: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Atkinson | 2 comments Donita wrote: "Has anyone read The Welcome Child yet?"

I read it but I found it not as good as the older series.

message 36: by Elaina (new)

Elaina | 2 comments Ive read a few vc series and how ive read them in the time of two years ive read all these i still will say the landry series is my all time favorite books. Ive read 1.landry series 2.logan series 3.my sweet audrina 4.and currently reading if there be thorns of the dollanganger series :) :)

message 37: by Ashley (new)

Ashley King | 1 comments I absolutely love the Dollanganger series. I've read them multiple times. But i also love her book My Sweet Audrina. Unfortunately it's only one book.

message 38: by Erin (new)

Erin H Speaking of the Dollanganger series has anyone started the Christopher's Diaries spin-off? I bought the ones that are out but I'm still sceptical about them :/.

message 39: by Marie (new)

Marie (mariemueller) | 8 comments I have them but haven't read them yet

message 40: by Elaina (new)

Elaina | 2 comments the ruby series is my favorite,i just finished the dollanganger series and am currently reading the first Christopher's diary book :) :)

message 41: by Faema Stephanie (last edited Feb 24, 2015 10:11AM) (new)

Faema Stephanie (pyratelady) | 5 comments Favorite series is Heaven. Hands down my favorite and really the bones of what most of the later series followed. (Tragic orphaned unloved girl, typical good guy that she loves but is really a jerk, brother that isn't really a brother and loves her, messed up grandmother or grandfather or both)

My Sweet Audrina is my favorite of all, but not being a series I left it off. I like the sister theme in MSA so much. And the house - actually I love all the houses with names... Foxworth Hall, Farthy, Cutlers Cove, and Whitefern of course.

message 42: by Faema Stephanie (new)

Faema Stephanie (pyratelady) | 5 comments Erin wrote: "Speaking of the Dollanganger series has anyone started the Christopher's Diaries spin-off? I bought the ones that are out but I'm still sceptical about them :/."

I enjoyed them way more than I expected to. I especially liked the diary part... but the Kane guy is pretty good for a guy in a VCA novel... gives me the Phillip vibe... that's as spoiler as I will get.

message 43: by Erin (new)

Erin H Lady Ravenwolves (Stephanie) wrote: "Erin wrote: "Speaking of the Dollanganger series has anyone started the Christopher's Diaries spin-off? I bought the ones that are out but I'm still sceptical about them :/."

I enjoyed them way mo..."

I think I'm going to read them soon!

message 44: by Kayla (new)

Kayla (kaylao) | 1 comments I have the diary books but haven't started them yet. I hope they are good!

message 45: by Analise (new)

Analise | 5 comments My favorite VCA book has to be My Sweet Audrina...I read it in one day I couldn't put it down! It was never boring to me...pretty creepy and kind of sad though. I loved Vera! Also I love the Casteel series...not a big fan of Logan though, I loved Heaven & Troy together a lot more.

message 46: by Analise (new)

Analise | 5 comments Lianna wrote: "My favorite series, like many of you, is the Casteel series. As much as I loved Heaven and Troy, I also loved Fanny! That girl was so real. Everyone knows someone like her. She's awesome, and color..."

Yesss I loved Fanny too, she was so funny to me & just wild.. I like Heaven of course but she could be a bit bland at times, Fanny never was!

message 47: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 1 comments http://thedollsclub.yooco.org/invite/...
Become a member, a place to talk about all things VC Andrews

message 48: by Brianna (new)

Brianna | 22 comments Lol I never liked Fanny. She always tried to ruin things for Heaven. Of course, she has a serious character arc though, so.

message 49: by Lennie (new)

Lennie | 1 comments oh my gosh, I have been reading VC andrews books for the past 15 years! I started when I was 15 and I think I have read the Landry and Logan series at least 5 times each! They are by far my favorite! he DeBeers series is pretty good and I also enjoyed the Hudson series. My favorite thing about the writer is that we get the entire family story in 5 books written through the eyes of at least 3 family members! I am afraid to read anything else because I don't know if it can compare to the others. I have read several other short books as well! ahh so glad this group exists hahhah

message 50: by Shay (last edited Oct 11, 2015 11:59AM) (new)

Shay | 7 comments Casteel. Just the first two books though. After that it gets hard to read. I like Dark Angel(#2) the best.

In Fallen Hearts(#3) Heaven gets all... sanctimonious or something. I do like the plot of the third book though. Just not actually reading it.

Gates of Paradise(#4) was okay. After reading FH the plot of GoP seems like we're doing the same thing all over again. Not something I'd read again.

I read Web of Dreams(#5) over ten years ago so I can barely remember it. I'm planning on rereading it soon.

« previous 1