Running, Track and Field discussion

Shared running exploits

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John, Group Moderator (new)

John Karr (karr) | 17 comments Mod
tips, events, how was your run?

I've had some family issues and been getting my latest publishing effort ready for market, so haven't been here much.

But I have been running about twice a week still, sometimes 2.5 when I mix a jog in after hitting and kicking the bags in the garage.

Today I'm going out again and am naturally tired, like most Wednesday afternoons. Still, a little juice into the ipodius maximus will help get me out there, at least.

message 2: by John, Group Moderator (new)

Sunday long run (for me, 5 miles is long, so try not to laugh) went ok, considering we had air travel stuff until 1:00 am and wasn't all that rested.

Sun was nice though, high eighties.

message 3: by Douglas, Group Moderator (new)

Douglas (dougkotti) | 97 comments Mod
My goal is to race next summer (2011) on the oval in the mile / 1600 meters and 800 meters.

I'll be 55 by then and on the bottom rung of a new age group. Ergo, I may actually have a chance --- but, alas, only within my advanced age group.

My difficulty with running is training consistently and regularly. We all know that to be competitive, one must train in accordance with a strict regimen. I do not intend to compete unless I have a chance to win --- or at least place.

My job, which is plagued every week with a plethora of last-minute emergencies and other "schedule-busters," is not conducive to maintaining a consistent training regimen. I am usually emotionally exhausted by Friday night, and typically must work on the weekends.

So ... I have been struggling to get back into racing shape. Our home is in a relatively small neighborhood of about forty-five houses and no "through" streets. We are also blessed with three very steep hills. For my endurance training, I can run through the neighborhood and hit those steep hills repeatedly during the workouts.

We live near a high school with an asphalt track where I can do speed work.

When I read John's posts with this Group, I am humbled. John has a "day job," and writes and publishes novels, and still runs five mile jaunts on a regular basis. I don't know how the man does it. Kudos to John!

If any of you middle-aged competitors has any advice or training tips for me, please feel free to share them.

Happy running, everybody!

Douglas in South Carolina

message 4: by John, Group Moderator (new)

Douglas -- very cool, your entering a couple races next summer. Best with your training.

You must be a true runner, not someone like myself who pushes through runs 2x per week as a means for cardio alternatives to weights and bagwork. I'm thinking you've got speed enough to run circles around me.

Bad news ... my wife likely has a stress fracture. She LOVES to run, and has done numerous triathalons and one marathon. It's bringing her down but we're hoping recoup time of six weeks max but she sees the doc soon. She's a physical therapist who knows what it will take.

Good luck to all exercisers ...

message 5: by John, Group Moderator (new)

Now the days are getting shorter and I'll have to start running at night, or in the morning. Neither is optimal. Car lights can show the way but can also create deceptive shadows.

message 6: by John, Group Moderator (new)

Ran the park trails with the dogs at 6:30 pm last night. Biggest fear ... vampires, killers, bears?

Exposed tree roots.

As it became too dark too soon.

message 7: by John, Group Moderator (last edited Mar 16, 2011 02:22PM) (new)

She's higher than she looks, Raleigh's Landfill park, and last weekend I tried for the summit at the end of my jog. Had to stop once but the view -- one of the highest in Wake County, NC -- was very cool.

http://www.wakegov.com/parks/northwak...

Good use of a trash heap!

message 8: by Douglas, Group Moderator (new)

John wrote: "She's higher than she looks, Raleigh's Landfill park, and last weekend I tried for the summit at the end of my jog. Had to stop once but the view -- one of the highest in Wake County, NC -- was ver..."

John,

You live in Raleigh, North Carolina. We have all seen reports about the devastation wrought by the storms there last weekend. I am sure that I speak for all members of this Group when I write that we trust you and your family are well, safe and unhurt.

Please let us know how you are.

Best regards from South Carolina

Doug

message 9: by Douglas, Group Moderator (new)

My youth track team is deep into its spring season outdoor season.

There are many opportunities for young people to compete now. They can run in local recreation leagues, in the Hershey's Games, and in meets sponsored by U.S. Track and Field. We are entering our runners, who age from eight to fourteen, to compete in these three competition venues.

I probably need to confer with Steve Harbin of this Group who ran track in college and who coached high school track and cross country for many years. Steve, if you have any insight to lend, I am eager to learn from you. You are my guru.

Doug

message 10: by Phil (new)

Phil Reilly | 5 comments Doug,
I'm a newcomer to the mix, but I also ran in college and have coached high school track and xc since 2000 in Philadelphia. My advice for youth coaching- I'm assuming you are coaching kids younger than high school- is to build a foundation of endurance, speed and strength. Keep it fun and try to expose them to different styles of training and different events. Hope this helps.
Phil

message 11: by John, Group Moderator (new)

Douglas wrote: You live in Raleigh, North Carolina. We have all seen reports about the devastation wrought by the storms there last weekend. I am sure that I speak for all members of this Group when I write that we trust you and your family are well, safe and unhurt.

Please let us know how you are.
, ..."

Thanks for the good wishes Doug. Me and mine are fine but the storms were devasting in other parts of Wake county and other counties. At least 17 dead if I have it correct, some of those young children, who will never have a chance to run.

Good luck with your youth track team. Youths need all the encouragement they can get. So happens my parents were up during the storms and I was helping my dad fix my storm door and door jamb that one of my dogs -- chow / shepherd mix -- chewed the hell out of because of the starting gun at the middle school track meet a few weeks prior.

message 12: by Douglas, Group Moderator (new)

Phil wrote: "Doug,
I'm a newcomer to the mix, but I also ran in college and have coached high school track and xc since 2000 in Philadelphia. My advice for youth coaching- I'm assuming you are coaching kids yo..."

Phil,

Thanks very much for your response.

We have been applying the approach you suggested. I recruited some obvious former (and present) runners from among the kids' parents, all of whom ran track in high school and / or college. Such folks are usually easy to spot in a crowd of parents.

You surmised correctly: We have about fifty kids, ranging in age from eight to thirteen, boys and girls. Each of the parents I entreated to help have a specific skill, such as sprints or middle distance. Their guidance has proven invaluable, particularly with so many runners on the team.

Our runners compete in races ranging from the fifty meter dash to the 1600, and in the 4 X 100 relay. Our events are similar to the Hershey's Games with which you most likely are familiar.

Since my old specialties were the 880, mile, and mile relay, I personally work most with our 800 and 1600 meter runners. I've combined some of the training from my past, such as fartlek and intervals, with more recent developments in this post-Lydiard world we live in. (Yes, I competed so long ago that we measured in yards, not meters!)

Our team was considered the laughing stock here in Columbia, South Carolina, until we took over. Now our runners win or place high in every race and at all age levels. I suspect that we train a little more and employ a more event-focused regimen than the other teams. Having superb assistance coaches is the key to kids' enjoyment and success, as in any team setting.

Thanks again for your input. If you have any advice to offer at any time, please feel free to do so. Clearly, you have the coaching credentials, experience, and insight I sorely lack.

Best regards from the Palmetto State.

Doug

message 13: by Douglas, Group Moderator (new)

John wrote: "Douglas wrote: You live in Raleigh, North Carolina. We have all seen reports about the devastation wrought by the storms there last weekend. I am sure that I speak for all members of this Group whe..."

John,

I am very relieved to learn that you and yours escaped injury during those terrible storms up your way.

We have many friends in the Raleigh area, and they all are unhurt, thankfully.

I trust that the community will rally and rebuild quickly.

Best wishes to you and yours.

Doug

PS: Are you incorporating running into your next novel? Your friends here at the Running, Track and Field Group urge you to do so!

message 14: by John, Group Moderator (new)

Thanks Doug. In the time between our posts Alabama got devastated. Thoughts go out to them.

I do have a bit of running in my next novel, a paranormal mystery. Protagonist is actually out for a run at one point when he's beset by thugs. Fortunately he has a bit of compact weapon to help even the odds.

message 15: by Phil (new)

Phil Reilly | 5 comments Hey Doug,
If you have any specific questions, don't hesitate to ask. I see you asked John, the moderator, about running and a novel. I recently wrote a running-centered novel, Chasing Ghosts if you're interested. It's available on Amazon as well as the Kindle and Nook.
Phil

message 16: by Douglas, Group Moderator (new)

Phil wrote: "Hey Doug,
If you have any specific questions, don't hesitate to ask. I see you asked John, the moderator, about running and a novel. I recently wrote a running-centered novel, Chasing Ghosts if yo..."

Phil,

As stated elsewhere on our Group's page, congratulations on your new book.

I will order a copy and provide my views, which I anticipate being highly favorable. We here at the Running Group support each other.

Best of luck with your book.

Doug

message 17: by Douglas, Group Moderator (new)

John wrote: "Thanks Doug. In the time between our posts Alabama got devastated. Thoughts go out to them.

I do have a bit of running in my next novel, a paranormal mystery. Protagonist is actually out for a ru..."

Dude,

You've got me hooked already!

Best of luck with your book, and keep all of us posted on your progress.

Take care, John.

Doug

message 18: by Douglas, Group Moderator (new)

Phil wrote: "Doug,
I'm a newcomer to the mix, but I also ran in college and have coached high school track and xc since 2000 in Philadelphia. My advice for youth coaching- I'm assuming you are coaching kids yo..."

Phil,

Is there a website for your track or cross country teams? Please let us know.

What books do you recommend for coaching and teaching this great sport to children?

Happy Thanksgiving!

Doug