The History Book Club discussion

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Bentley | 44168 comments Mod
This is the thread which will be devoted to the discussion of the history of Buddhism and related topics.

message 2: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Emory University presents the Dalai Lama

Interfaith Summit on Happiness:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xfEcC...

message 3: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) A book for all those who are interested in the teachings and philosopy of Buddha.

Heart of Buddha's Teaching by Thich Nhat Hanh by Thich Nhat Hanh Thich Nhat Hanh

Synopsis

In The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching, Thich Nhat Hanh introduces us to the core teachings of Buddhism and shows us that the Buddha's teachings are accessible and applicable to our daily lives. With poetry and clarity, Nhat Hanh imparts comforting wisdom about the nature of suffering and its role in creating compassion, love, and joy--all qualities of enlightenment. Covering such significant teachings as the Four Noble Truths, the Noble Eightfold Path, the Three Doors of Liberation, the Three Dharma Seals, and the Seven Factors of Awakening, The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching is a radiant beacon on Buddhist thought for the initiated and uninitiated alike

message 4: by G (new)

G Hodges (glh1) | 901 comments There is a good text on the History of Buddhism:
Buddhist Religions A Historical Introduction by Richard H. Robinson by Richard Robinson Richard H. Robinson There is no photo. And of course there is the Tibetan Book of Living and Dying by Sogyal Rinpoche. It is an introduction to Buddhist teachings and to the practice of Meditation.

The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying Sogyal Rinpoche

message 5: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited May 24, 2012 06:46PM) (new)

You did pretty good G with your citations but we always recommend that you type out the text and place the citations at the bottom and remember that the citations have three parts: book cover, author's photo and author's link. Of course, there are times when one of the segments may not be available like when you cited the first book.

Then the next book you cited, you did not cite the book cover which was available; but the author's photo was available and all you needed to add was the author's link.

Both of these books look quite good.

The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying by Sogyal Rinpoche by Sogyal RinpocheSogyal Rinpoche

message 6: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) This book explores the spirit of Zen Buddhism in fresh ways....a multifaceted take on the spiritual, grounded in the everyday

Upside-Down Zen

Upside-Down Zen by Susan Murphy by Susan Murphy

Synopsis
The author who is a poet as well as a Zen teacher uncovers the connections between Zen and Western cinema, as well as between Zen and traditions as diverse as aboriginal Australian beliefs and Jewish folktales. In the process, she finds spirituality where it has always belonged: wherever life is happening.

message 7: by G (new)

G Hodges (glh1) | 901 comments Libby wrote: "

Buddha's Warriors

Buddha's Warriors by Mikel Dunham by Mikel Dunham (no photo)

Synopsis:

Buddha's Warriors is the first book that brings to life Tibet before the Chinese communist invasion..."

Thanks. I've added it to my already huge TBR list.

message 8: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) Libby......that sounds terrific and goes on the TBR.

There is a similar book (and I just don't remember the name) about a Christian who tried to live for one year according to the "rules" of the Bible and found it almost impossible. Somebody here will know the title but I have heard that it is worth reading.

message 9: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) How quickly we forget.....I posted this book on the Bible thread!!!! The author takes a more humorous take on his "project". It is:

The Year of Living Biblically One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible as Literally as Possible by A.J. Jacobs by A.J. Jacobs A.J. Jacobs

message 10: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) His Holiness the Dalai Lama has put his best writings into one volume and it is an excellent primer for those who are new to Buddhism.

The Essential Dalai Lama His Important Teachings by Dalai Lama XIV by Dalai Lama XIV Dalai Lama XIV

Synopsis

An inspiration to millions of people worldwide, the Dalai Lama has authored more than fifty books. Now, for the first time, The Essential Dalai Lama brings together the best of the Dalai Lama's writings on all aspects of life, from work to meditation. Divided into four sections-The Vision, Buddhist Perspectives, Practice, A World in Harmony-The Essential Dalai Lama contains eloquent applications of the principles of ancient Buddhist thought to contemporary issues, all expressed in the Dalai Lama's uniquely compelling voice. This is the perfect compilation for anyone who wishes to have one source for the Dalai Lama's teachings or who seeks an introduction to the philosophy and practice of Buddhism.

message 11: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) This book is for everyone who wishes to live a more productive life. Beautifully done!

Buddha Is As Buddha Does

Buddha Is as Buddha Does The Ten Original Practices for Enlightened Living by Surya Das by Surya Das Surya Das

Synopsis:

In 2006 His Holiness the Dalai Lama, who calls Lama Surya Das the American Lama, said to an American audience, "It is not enough just to meditate and pray, which are always good things to do, but we also must take positive action in this world."

In the process of awakening, the Buddha realized that all of us, deep within, are inherently perfect and whole, with the capacity to overcome suffering and transform ourselves into forces for good. In this book national bestselling author Lama Surya Das, one of the foremost American Buddhist teachers, offers a thorough, tried-and-true map to the richest treasure a human being can find--Buddha's advice for living to your true potential. By following these guidelines, you will enter into a life of greater joy, clarity, peace, and wisdom than you ever thought possible.

Whether you consider yourself a Buddhist, Christian, Jew, Muslim, Hindu, atheist, or agnostic, Buddha Is as Buddha Does enables you to reflect more deeply upon how you think, speak, and behave in each moment and to explore more intently your relationships with others. Appropriate for new seekers as well as experienced practitioners, and accompanied by lively anecdotes and practical exercises, this is one of the most accessible books to date on the ancient and timeless wisdom of the Buddha. Buddha Is as Buddha Does is for everyone who seeks to become a better person and share in the bounty of true Buddha nature.

message 12: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Excellent adds.

message 13: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

That is astounding. What is exactly the Buddhist practice of self preservation?

message 14: by José Luís (new)

José Luís  Fernandes | 1016 comments Buddha

Buddha by Karen Armstrong by Karen Armstrong Karen Armstrong

Synopsis:

Books on Buddhism may overflow the shelves, but the life story of the Buddha himself has remained obscure despite over 2,500 years of influence on millions of people around the world. In an attempt to rectify this, and to make the Buddha and Buddhism accessible to Westerners, the beloved scholar and author of such sweeping religious studies as A History of God has written a readable, sophisticated, and somewhat unconventional biography of one of the most influential people of all time. Buddha himself fought against the cult of personality, and the Buddhist scriptures were faithful, giving few details of his life and personality. Karen Armstrong mines these early scriptures, as well as later biographies, then fleshes the story out with an explanation of the cultural landscape of the 6th century B.C., creating a deft blend of biography, history, philosophy, and mythology.
At the age of 29, Siddhartha Gautama walked away from the insulated pleasure palace that had been his home and joined a growing force of wandering monks searching for spiritual enlightenment during an age of upheaval. Armstrong traces Gautama's journey through yoga and asceticism and grounds it in the varied religious teachings of the time. In many parts of the world during this so-called axial age, new religions were developing as a response to growing urbanization and market forces. Yet each shared a common impulse--they placed faith increasingly on the individual who was to seek inner depth rather than magical control. Taoism and Confucianism, Hinduism, monotheism in the Middle East and Iran, and Greek rationalism were all emerging as Gautama made his determined way towards enlightenment under the boddhi tree and during the next 45 years that he spent teaching along the banks of the Ganges. Armstrong, in her intelligent and clarifying style, is quick to point out the Buddha's relevance to our own time of transition, struggle, and spiritual void in both his approach--which was based on skepticism and empiricism--and his teachings.

Despite the lack of typical historical documentation, Armstrong has written a rich and revealing description of both a unique time in history and an unusual man. Buddha is a terrific primer for those interested in the origins and fundamentals of Buddhism.

message 15: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Thank you Jose.

message 16: by Martin (last edited Mar 01, 2015 01:50PM) (new)

Martin Zook | 615 comments Old Path White Clouds Walking in the Footsteps of the Buddha by Thích Nhất Hạnh by Thích Nhất Hạnh Thích Nhất Hạnh

Armstrong's biography of the most recent life of the Buddha of our age is a good beginning point, especially for westerners looking for an a brief introduction.

For those looking for a more substantial, but still accessible narrative, Thich Nhat Hanh's Old Path White Clouds is the gold standard.

It is especially brilliant because Hanh is a highly accomplished Buddhist who excels at conveying accessible explanations of even the most complex teachings. The beauty and simplicity of the teachings never falters.

But secondly, while OPWC reads like a fictional narative, behind the story is Hanh's masterful understanding of a wide range of Buddhist texts that serve as the backbone of the biography. That said, the scholarship is invisible and this narrative conveys Hanh's incredibly beautiful and straight forward understanding of the philosophy of the awakened mind.

For those who are more serious about their exploration of Buddhism, Hanh's biography can serve as a serious guide to central teachings of the Buddha.

Just some of the history Hanh addresses are the controversies surrounding admitting women as monks and whether a vegetarian diet should be required. The Buddha's admonition to monk's struggling with their meditation to return to the most basic of meditations rings like a mantra through the text.

message 17: by Serene (new)

Serene | 4 comments Minfulness is a huge thing now, similar to meditation. Have no clue what context Buddhism has to do with this. Any ideas?
As a Baha'i, a member of the Baha'i Faith, we are encouraged to pray and meditate with no specific meditation practice to follow.

message 18: by Serene (new)

Serene | 4 comments Teri wrote: "Recovering Buddhism in Modern China

Recovering Buddhism in Modern China by Jan Kiely by Jan Kiely (no photo)

Synopsis:

Modern Chinese history told from a Buddhist perspe..."

I was an English teacher in China for 3 years. I was taken around to many Buddhist temples by many different Chinese and the Chinese I went with had zero knowledge about the temples, the writings, the icons or anything else. I was really sad when I'd point to something and say what's that, and they'd say, I don't know.

message 19: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Serene I guess because of their long and ancient past - it must be hard for them to keep up on all of their history - sad though.

I loved China when I traveled there many times and would like to go again.

message 20: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Mar 09, 2016 02:00PM) (new)

That is also sad but pathetic (:-(

But also alas - very true. Did you ever see Jimmy Kimmel interviewing folks in the street about current events and major important news topics. Like who was Harry Reid and what does he do - the young woman said he reads. We spend the most on education of any nation and yet we are not near the top in achievement or excellence - why?

So I cannot fault the Chinese.

Teri, it was actually many trips to visit my son and travel around China, etc. Saw so many wonderful places and had so many tremendous experiences. Walking on the Great Wall, in the Forbidden City - Beijing, Shanghai, Xian and the wonderful terra cotta warriors, etc. and many other places. China is quite large.

message 21: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Yes, that must have been wonderful.

message 22: by Michele (new)

Michele (micheleevansito) | 1029 comments The Open Road: The Global Journey of the Fourteenth Dalai Lama

The Open Road The Global Journey of the Fourteenth Dalai Lama by Pico Iyer by Pico Iyer Pico Iyer

Synopsis:

One of the most acclaimed and perceptive observers of globalism and Buddhism now gives us the first serious consideration—for Buddhist and non-Buddhist alike—of the Fourteenth Dalai Lama’s work and ideas as a politician, scientist, and philosopher.

Pico Iyer has been engaged in conversation with the Dalai Lama (a friend of his father’s) for the last three decades—an ongoing exploration of his message and its effectiveness. Now, in this insightful, impassioned book, Iyer captures the paradoxes of the Dalai Lama’s position: though he has brought the ideas of Tibet to world attention, Tibet itself is being remade as a Chinese province; though he was born in one of the remotest, least developed places on earth, he has become a champion of globalism and technology. He is a religious leader who warns against being needlessly distracted by religion; a Tibetan head of state who suggests that exile from Tibet can be an opportunity; an incarnation of a Tibetan god who stresses his everyday humanity.

Moving from Dharamsala, India—the seat of the Tibetan government-in-exile—to Lhasa, Tibet, to venues in the West, where the Dalai Lama’s pragmatism, rigor, and scholarship are sometimes lost on an audience yearning for mystical visions, The Open Road illuminates the hidden life, the transforming ideas, and the daily challenges of a global icon.

message 23: by Michele (new)

Michele (micheleevansito) | 1029 comments Cave Temples of Mogao at Dunhuang: Art and History on the Silk Road, Second Edition

Cave Temples of Mogao at Dunhuang Art and History on the Silk Road, Second Edition by Roderick Whitfield by Roderick Whitfield (no photo)

Synopsis:

The Mogao grottoes in China, situated near the town of Dunhuang on the fabled Silk Road, constitute one of the world’s most significant sites of Buddhist art. The hundreds of caves carved into rock cliffs at the edge of the Gobi desert preserve one thousand years of exquisite art. Founded by Buddhist monks as an isolated monastery in the late fourth century, Mogao evolved into an artistic and spiritual mecca whose renown extended from the Chinese capital to the Western Kingdoms of the Silk Road. Among its treasures are miles of stunning wall paintings, more than two thousand statues, magnificent works on silk and paper, and thousands of ancient manuscripts, such as sutras, poems, and prayer sheets.

In this new expanded edition, Cave Temples of Mogao at Dunhuang, first published in 2000, combines lavish color photographs of the caves and their art with the fascinating history of the Silk Road to create a vivid portrait of this remarkable site. Chapters narrate the development of Dunhuang and the Mogao cave temples, the iconography of the wall paintings, and the extraordinary story of the rare manuscripts—including the oldest printed book in existence, a ninth-century copy of the Diamond Sutra. The book also discusses the collaboration between the Getty Conservation Institute and Chinese authorities in conservation projects at Mogao, and the ways in which the site can be visited today.

Exhibit at the Getty Center until Sept. 4, 2016

http://www.getty.edu/research/exhibit...

message 24: by David (new)

David Huber | 3 comments Teri wrote: "Quantum Buddhism: Teachings on Awakening to the Great Field

Quantum Buddhism Mahajrya Bodhana Sutra, Teachings On Awakening To The Great Field by François Lepine by [author:François Lepine|834746..."

a synopsis that I can agree with, it is encouraging to see this description: Supreme Consciousness and Everything is ONE.. As a student of both Christianity and Mahasiddhic Buddhism I find that they are both similar and the conclusions are the same. There is just ONE. Interestingly the Old Testament of the Bible starts out with quantum mechanics. A plan, and a building material, light, all set into motion by that Supreme consciousness.

message 25: by David (last edited Aug 24, 2016 08:15AM) (new)

David Huber | 3 comments Teri wrote: "David wrote: "Teri wrote: "Quantum Buddhism: Teachings on Awakening to the Great Field

Quantum Buddhism Mahajrya Bodhana Sutra, Teachings On Awakening To The Great Field by François Lepine by [au..."

I have read what was available on Amazon "Look Inside" and found it very interesting and factual. I have ordered it and should receive it in about 3 weeks. (I live at the far edge of the world.) The problem with a book like this is it is so far outside of "normal" thought processes is that most people will not understand it. What I have read so far well aligns with what I know and have experienced. There is some new material in the book that I was not aware of, and hope to gain new insights. I would, without reading the entire book, recommend this to any person that is trying to find truth, which as defined by Webster way back when, is the ultimate form of reality.

I have read one review by a person that has read the book and was disappointed at the length. I personally like it when authors get straight to the point and state things in the simplest way possible. What I have read so far tells me that this author does that.

The author brings up monist thought: this is a concept that everything is ONE. It is the most simplistic way of understanding reality and quite possibly the most powerful way of understanding. Humans tends to make separations via ego, trying to stand apart and the selfies attest to this. When a person entertains this thought process they are still part of the one, but have no useful input or control within the one.

message 26: by David (new)

David Huber | 3 comments Teri wrote: "Quantum Buddhism: Teachings on Awakening to the Great Field

Quantum Buddhism Mahajrya Bodhana Sutra, Teachings On Awakening To The Great Field by François Lepine by [author:François Lepine|834746..."

Now that I have read the entire book, I concur with my initial thoughts. If a person is looking to truly understand the reality of existence and consciousness, this is a must read. The book provides simple means to tap into the mindstream, although the author does not use that word. I am very happy to have found the book. I know that there is one reviewer that thought it was too short, however the simplicity of the content's presentation out weighs any perceived shortness. It is a highly condensed book and well written and explained. It encourages a person to become part of the Supreme Consciouness and shows the way to accomplish this.

Unfortunately I think many readers will not understand or comprehend this book. Those readers I feel are not truth seekers.

message 27: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Upcoming Release: May 1, 2018

Standing at the Edge: Finding Freedom Where Fear and Courage Meet

Standing at the Edge Finding Freedom Where Fear and Courage Meet by Joan Halifax by Joan Halifax Joan Halifax

Synopsis:

"Joan Halifax is a clearheaded and fearless traveler and in this book…she offers us a map of how to travel courageously and fruitfully, for our own benefit and the benefit of all beings." ―From the foreword by Rebecca Solnit

Standing at the Edge is an evocative examination of how we can respond to suffering, live our fullest lives, and remain open to the full spectrum of our human experience.

Joan Halifax has enriched thousands of lives around the world through her work as a humanitarian, a social activist, an anthropologist, and as a Buddhist teacher. Over many decades, she has also collaborated with neuroscientists, clinicians, and psychologists to understand how contemplative practice can be a vehicle for social transformation. Through her unusual background, she developed an understanding of how our greatest challenges can become the most valuable source of our wisdom―and how we can transform our experience of suffering into the power of compassion for the benefit of others.

Halifax has identified five psychological territories she calls Edge States―altruism, empathy, integrity, respect, and engagement―that epitomize strength of character. Yet each of these states can also be the cause of personal and social suffering. In this way, these five psychological experiences form edges, and it is only when we stand at these edges that we become open to the full range of our human experience and discover who we really are.

Recounting the experiences of caregivers, activists, humanitarians, politicians, parents, and teachers, incorporating the wisdom of Zen traditions and mindfulness practices, and rooted in Halifax’s groundbreaking research on compassion, Standing at the Edge is destined to become a contemporary classic. A powerful guide on how to find the freedom we seek for others and ourselves, it is a book that will serve us all.

message 28: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

The Lotus Sutra

The Lotus Sutra by Tsugunari Kubo by Tsugunari Kubo (no photo)

Synopsis:

One of the most important texts in East Asian Buddhism as well as India where it was composed and Tibet as well.

The Lotus Sutra, as it is generally known in the West, is one of the most important of all the Mahayana sutras, and especially in Japan, where it is popularly known as the Ho-ke-kyou, it has been held in high regard ever since Prince Shoutoku included a commentary on it in his set of commentaries on three Mahayana sutras (San-gyou-gi-sho).

It is a work of great literary merit, including as it does many sections of verse and various parables, but at the same time it has earned a lasting place in the history of Buddhism owing to the superior quality of its philosophical content.

The concept of 'One Vehicle' especially, which permeates the whole work, has had immeasurable influence upon Japanese Buddhism.

It is divided into 28 chapters, of which Chapter 16, 'The Life Span of the Tathagatayuspramana-parivarta XV), is especially important for its eulogy of sakyamuni as the embodiment of the eternal life and as having attained enlightenment in the inconceivably remote past.

Among the numerous parables those of the three carts and the burning house, the wealthy man and his poor son, the three kinds of medicinal herbs and two kinds of trees, and the phantom city and the treasure land are especially famous.

In addition Chapter 25, 'The Universal Gate of the Bodhisattva Avalokitesvara' (Skt.: Samantamukha-parivarta XXIV), which describes the blessings of the bodhisattva Avalokitesvara, was circulated in China and Japan as an independent sutra and is still recited today.

It is also a well-known fact that the chant, or daimoku, of the Nichiren School of Japan and related sects consists of the invocation na-mu added to the Japanese title of this sutra, resulting in Na-mu-myou-hou-ren-ge-kyou.

message 29: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Introduction to the History of Indian Buddhism

Introduction to the History of Indian Buddhism by Eugène Burnouf by Eugène Burnouf Eugène Burnouf

Synopsis:

The most influential work on Buddhism to be published in the nineteenth century, Introduction à l’histoire du Buddhisme indien, by the great French scholar of Sanskrit Eugène Burnouf, set the course for the academic study of Buddhism, and Indian Buddhism in particular, for the next hundred years.

First published in 1844, the masterwork was read by some of the most important thinkers of the time, including Schopenhauer and Nietzsche in Germany and Emerson and Thoreau in America. But a century and a half on, Burnouf’s text has largely been forgotten.

All that changes with Katia Buffetrille and Donald S. Lopez Jr.’s English translation of this foundational text.

Reemerging here as a vibrant artifact of intellectual history and as a progenitor of the often colorful genealogy of Buddhist studies, Introduction to the History of Indian Buddhism provides a clear view of how the religion was understood in the early decades of the nineteenth century.

Burnouf was an impeccable scholar, and his vision, especially of the Buddha, continues to profoundly shape our modern understanding of Buddhism.

Indeed, the work offers a wellspring of still-valuable information and insight into the theory and practice of Buddhism.

In reintroducing Burnouf to a new generation of Buddhologists, Buffetrille and Lopez have revived a seminal text in the history of Orientalism.

message 30: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Bones, Stones, and Buddhist Monks

Bones, Stones, And Buddhist Monks Collected Papers On The Archaeology, Epigraphy, And Texts Of Monastic Buddhism In India by Gregory Schopen by Gregory Schopen (no photo)

Synopsis:

From the Preface "The present volume provides an essential foundation for a social history of Indian Buddhist monasticism.

Challenging the popular stereotype that represented the accumulation of merit as the domain of the layperson while monks concerned themselves with more sophisticated realms of doctrine and meditation, Professor Schopen problematizes many assumptions about the lay-monastic distinction by demonstrating that monks and nuns, both the scholastic elites and the less learned, participated actively in a wide range of ritual practices and institutions that have heretofore been judged 'popular,' from the accumulation and transfer of merit; to the care of deceased relatives;....

Taken together, the studies contained in this volume represent the basis for a new historiography of Buddhism, not only for their critique of many of the ideas of Buddhist Studies but for the compelling connections they draw between apparently disparate details." --Donald S. Lopez, Jr.

message 31: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

The Words of My Perfect Teacher

The Words of My Perfect Teacher by Patrul Rinpoche by Patrul Rinpoche (no photo)

Synopsis:

Featuring a preface by Dalai Lama, a classic handbook written in the nineteenth century outlines the spiritual practices common to all Tibetan Buddhist traditions and makes them accessible through examples from daily life. Original. 10,000 first printing

message 32: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Jan 23, 2019 08:26PM) (new)

Journey to the West

Journey to the West (4-Volume Boxed Set) by Wu Cheng'en by Wu Cheng'en Wu Cheng'en

Synopsis:

First published in 1952, The Journey to the West, volume I (there are four volumes), comprises the first twenty-five chapters of Anthony C. Yu's four-volume translation of Hsi-yu Chi, one of the most beloved classics of Chinese literature.

The fantastic tale recounts the sixteen-year pilgrimage of the monk Hsüan-tsang (596-664), one of China's most illustrious religious heroes, who journeyed to India with four animal disciples in quest of Buddhist scriptures.

For nearly a thousand years, his exploits were celebrated and embellished in various accounts, culminating in the hundred-chapter Journey to the West, which combines religious allegory with romance, fantasy, humor, and satire.

Review:

"Although not intended for children, the novel, and certain chapters in particular, is among the most famous children’s story in East Asia, depicted in comic books and cartoons. Journey to the West, in four volumes, is one of the great picaresque novels in world literature, often uproariously funny and filled with all manner of magical derring-do – even better than Harry Potter." --Donald Lopez Jr. in Five Books

message 33: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Great Tang Records on the Western Regions

The Great Tang Dynasty Record of the Western Regions by Xuanzang by Xuanzang Xuanzang

Synopsis:

This is an account of the travels in Central Asia and India of the seventh-century Chinese scholar-monk Xuanzang.

"His long journey to India and back, much of it by himself," was according to Donald Lopez Jr. considered to be "one of the most remarkable feats in the history of Chinese Buddhism, taking on legendary proportions."