Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Let's Talk About: Top Ten Lists > Emotionally Moving Books

Comments Showing 1-50 of 85 (85 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Have you ever read a book that just moved you to tears or leaves you feeling so emotionally exhausted you swear you were right there with the character of the book experiencing everything with them? These are books I like to say should come with warning labels. I love them, but try to space them out because they are so emotionally draining. So if you've ever experienced this with a book please let us know. I love it when an author can invoke emotions in me with just their words. Again if you can only think of one or more than 10 please feel free to list them all.

message 2: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments I will add more later, but these are what I can think of off the top of my head.

1) The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson - I actually rated this book a 2 (which is so wrong of me), but I was so emotionally touched by the violence against women I had to seek out some "happy" books to free myself of the memories.

2)Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta

message 3: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 931 comments Emotionally draning eh? The book Sarah's Key was pretty draining for me. Very sad but such a nice read!

message 4: by Joyzi (new)

Joyzi (jOiT) 1. Mockingjay (Hunger Games, #3) by Suzanne Collins
2. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
3. My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult
4. The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
5. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Harry Potter, #5) by J.K. Rowling
6. For One More Day by Mitch Albom
7. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Harry Potter, #6) by J.K. Rowling

message 5: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 931 comments Joyzi how was The Book Thief?

message 6: by Joyzi (new)

Joyzi (jOiT) Lauren wrote: "Joyzi how was The Book Thief?"

It was an amazing book, one of the best book I've read in my life, I cried horribly at the end. It's the story of the holocaust but mostly the characters were german, the writing is unique and breath taking.

message 7: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 931 comments I saw it at the bookstore the other day. I am very bummed out that I didn't get it now!

message 8: by Joyzi (new)

Joyzi (jOiT) Lauren wrote: "I saw it at the bookstore the other day. I am very bummed out that I didn't get it now!"

Watch this, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ch0ZU... I really love this trailer, it's the reason I've read the book.

message 9: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 931 comments Wow that was a great video... Definatly reading that asap!!

message 10: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid  (initch) The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini just finished it last night and yeah it definitely fits the category.

message 11: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 931 comments I have it in my possession.... I am so busy. I have a pile of like 20 books I need to read

message 12: by Sans (new)

Sans Barely a Lady (The Drake's Rakes series) by Eileen Dreyer left me exhausted and drained. I had to read several lighter books after that one.

message 14: by Heather (new)

Heather | 504 comments The Diary of Anne Frank, The Boy in the Stripped Pajamas, Tapestry by Karen Ranney. These two: Swan Song and A Boy's Life by Robert McCammon (sp) made me bawl due to major scenes.

message 15: by Irene (new)

Irene Hollimon | 52 comments It's the reason I prefer reading books written in a first person female tone. It makes it easier for me to identify.

message 17: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Elise & Heather, I didn't read The Boy in the Striped Pajamas, but my daughter did. She told me what it was about and it was enough to effect me.

Sans, You said Barely a Lady by Eileen Dreyer was draining, but did you love it?

message 18: by Sans (new)

Sans I did. It was an amazing book. I'll warn you that the hero is a bit of an a**-hat at times, but that just makes the resolution so much better. Want me to mail it to you? Good news, the second in this series is due out in March I believe (I've already pre-ordered it, of course).

message 19: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 4 comments One that I haven't seen mentioned yet is My Name is Memory by Ann Brashares. It really reminded me of The Time Traveler's Wife. I loved reading both of them.

message 20: by Heather (new)

Heather | 504 comments Lisa, they even made a movie of The Boy and the ending had me sobbing, along with my friend..

message 21: by Lisarenee (last edited Oct 16, 2010 02:44AM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Thanks Rachel. I may need to look into My Name is Memory. I loved The Time Traveler's Wife.

Heather, Was the movie as good, better, or worse than the book? Judging by your reaction I'm assuming it was at least as good as the book.

message 22: by Bri (new)

Bri (silversleep) 1.) Dear John by Nicholas Sparks
2.) The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne
3.) Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher
4.) Burned by Ellen Hopkins
5.) Impulse by Ellen Hopkins
6.) For One more day by Mitch Albom
7.) The Five people You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom
8.) Tricks by Ellen Hopkins
9.) Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo
10.)Night by Elie Wiesel

message 23: by Sashana (last edited Oct 16, 2010 10:32AM) (new)

Sashana Great list, Bri. I have to agree with you on Dear John, I hated the ending so much and I bawling my eyes out. I still need to read Thirteen Reasons Why and I might have to give Ellen Hopkins a try.

message 24: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 931 comments The Book Thief by Markus Zusak was very moving, as was Cut by Patrica McCormick

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak Cut by Patricia McCormick

message 25: by Heather (new)

Heather | 504 comments Lisa, the book was very good. The author had Bruno use the 'grown-up' words like a child so often I had to remember what he was talking about and then it left even more of a sadness. By that, Bruno really has no understanding of what his Father does and it shows his innocent nature. The movie didn't touch upon that too much as it would have too hard. Also, both ended the same way but the movie was a lot more dramatic..

message 26: by The UHQ Nasanta (new)

The UHQ Nasanta (uhqs) | 829 comments My Sister's Keeper
Bridge to Terabithia
My Girl
Until the Celebration by Zilpha Keatley Snyder

to name a few. I don't like emotionally moving books so I tend to avoid them.

message 28: by Sashana (new)

Sashana niquae wrote: "My Sister's Keeper
Bridge to Terabithia
My Girl
Until the Celebration by Zilpha Keatley Snyder

to name a few. I don't like emotionally moving books so I tend to avoid them."

I tend to avoid them too.

message 29: by Sashana (new)

message 30: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (treychel) | 1484 comments Here is what I can think of off the top of my head. I know there is more though.
Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher Paper Towns by John Green A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks A Child Called "It" by Dave Pelzer

message 31: by Alyssa (last edited Dec 02, 2010 01:52PM) (new)

Alyssa (shyluck13) So, so many books that have broken my heart.
1. On the Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta is the best book I have ever read. No joke. I just finished it and don't think I'll be able to read for a while.
2. Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) by Suzanne Collins made me bawl, too.
3. PS, I Love You by Cecelia Ahern - I couldn't speak for a good half hour after reading this. My throat was clogged up.
4. Shadow Kiss (Vampire Academy, #3) by Richelle Mead / Blood Promise (Vampire Academy, #4) by Richelle Mead - they didn't hurt as much as some of these other ones because I'm still hoping a happy ending will pop up but they hit me so hard.
5. North of Beautiful by Justina Chen Headley - spoke to me in so many words.
6. Aimee by Mary Beth Miller (indie)
7. The Truth about Forever by Sarah Dessen

There are more (I own KITE RUNNER but haven't read it yet) and yet my mind is still so wrapped up in Jellicoe Road that I can't think anymore.

message 32: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Alyssa, I loveMelina Marchetta's books. She has such a way of writing you feel emotionally wrapped up in the books.

message 33: by Heather (new)

Heather | 504 comments Rachel, what is A Child Called It about? The cover caught my eye..

message 34: by Rachel (last edited Dec 04, 2010 08:30PM) (new)

Rachel (treychel) | 1484 comments A Child Called It is about the author, Dave, and the child abuse he suffered as a child at the hands of his mother. I read it when I was 12. My dad was abusive towards my mother and I always wished things to be different. Even though I was never abused, I could relate some what to Dave. Just because I wasn't a victim physically as my mother was, it still affected me in other ways, emotionally and mentally. I cried through the whole thing and still tear up when I think about it. The first book that ever gave me such strong emotion. This book also gave me the courage when I was old enough to remove my mother and my sister from the situation...if Dave could survive and be a decent, honest, loving person, I knew we could too!

message 35: by Heather (new)

Heather | 504 comments Wow! I will see if the library has it and if not, check and see if they can order it..

message 36: by Amanda (new)

Amanda  (peanutty222) Heather, here's the book synopsis:
This book chronicles the unforgettable account of one of the most severe child abuse cases in California history. It is the story of Dave Pelzer, who was brutally beaten and starved by his emotionally unstable, alcoholic mother: a mother who played tortuous, unpredictable games--games that left him nearly dead. He had to learn how to play his mother's games in order to survive because she no longer considered him a son, but a slave; and no longer a boy, but an "it."

Dave's bed was an old army cot in the basement, and his clothes were torn and raunchy. When his mother allowed him the luxury of food, it was nothing more than spoiled scraps that even the dogs refused to eat. The outside world knew nothing of his living nightmare. He had nothing or no one to turn to, but his dreams kept him alive--dreams of someone taking care of him, loving him and calling him their son.

It is essentially a book about a boy who was mentally and physically abused by his mother. The mother disowned 'it' and 'it' lived in their basement, thriving off dreams of love and hope. It is an amazing story.

message 37: by Heather (new)

Heather | 504 comments Amanda, where in CA is it based on? And please, please tell me his bitch of a so called mother is dead or in hell?!

message 38: by Amanda (last edited Dec 04, 2010 08:42PM) (new)

Amanda  (peanutty222) On the Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta is awesome.
Before I Die by Jenny Downham was incredibly emotional. It's a book I read, cried my eyes out, thought about for weeks, read it again cried again and thought some more. Reading the synopsis makes you think it's about dead, but it is really about living life with all you've got.
I have The Book Thief on hold at the library and haven't read it yet, but I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak was pretty emotional at the end for me.
Such a Pretty Girl by Laura Wiess , Forbidden  by Tabitha Suzuma and Living Dead Girl by Elizabeth Scott are all stories about moral issues that are very emotional.
What Happened to Lani Garver by Carol Plum-Ucci was a book I thought about afterwards for a while.

message 39: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (treychel) | 1484 comments His goodreads author profile says Daly City, CA. Here is his website. He also has written other books, including self helps for teens. Amazing man, if I say so myself. http://www.davepelzer.com/

message 40: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (treychel) | 1484 comments And yes. Wikipedia says she is dead...in 1992.

message 41: by Heather (new)

Heather | 504 comments Wow, he lives near by. I hope she suffered and is still suffering.

message 42: by Arthur (last edited Dec 08, 2010 07:59AM) (new)

message 43: by Amanda (new)

Amanda  (peanutty222) I am trying to get through The Book Theif. Please tell me it gets better.

message 44: by Arthur (last edited Dec 08, 2010 08:29AM) (new)

Arthur (astra) Amanda wrote: "I am trying to get through The Book Theif. Please tell me it gets better."

If you read 1/4 and don't like it, then no.

My very educated father (72) who knows WWII inside out didn't like it at all.
My quite simple friend postman who read very few books in his long life (56) was close to tears.

I loved the book. It was very emotional and touching one. What does it say about me?
:shrug:
:)

P.S. No. I don't watch soap operas.

message 45: by Sans (new)

Sans Amanda, I couldn't read Book Thief either. I didn't find it moving, just boring. Then again, I've been having a lot of problems with YA books. Either way, it's like a lot of "classics" or popular fiction: not for everyone.

message 46: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (treychel) | 1484 comments I read The Book Thief, but I cannot say that I liked it. I did not "suffer" through it like I have with other books, I just felt bored.

message 47: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Damn, I don't know if I want to read it anymore.

message 48: by Amanda (new)

Amanda  (peanutty222) I picked up Naughts & Crosses (Noughts & Crosses, #1) by Malorie Blackman from the library today, which is supposed to be another emotional book. I'll get through pg 50 of The Book Thief and if it doesn't suit me, I'll start the next in line.

message 49: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Amanda, I just read that book a day or two ago. The ending was epic, I cried my eyes out.

message 50: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (treychel) | 1484 comments At least try it out, Sashana. You never know. You may love it. I agree with Arthur though. If you get a 1/4 of the way through it and still aren't feeling it, pains me to say, but move on.

« previous 1