BRA Association discussion

Fast reader, extremely intruiged or lack of social life?

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda Thanks for the invite to your great group Rita! Love your group rules. If you ain't witty then you ain't staying in this committee.

The fastest I read a book recently was the latest release of Kresley Cole. She's a paranormal romance author and my absolute fave. Great characters, epic romance and incredible world building. I love escapist stories and genre fiction. I like to live in those imaginary worlds for a while. Although sometimes I wish I didn't read so fast! It's a real problem for my wallet!;)

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Yay, Rita thinks I'm witty.

::preens::

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm a male, don't know if I'll make the grade..LOL!!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

So long as a black sheer lacey one will suffice..(-:

message 5: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 15, 2010 05:28PM) (new)

Oh I think you are going to fit in nicely David. :D
I'm reading Indelible Inkat the moment. L-o-v-i-n-g i-t. I have lurked around all the places she mentioned so far in the book so it feels so extra yum. I love her prose (not that I would admit recognising prose.)

The shortest amount of time. Here is a confession Twilight, (from recent memory) closely followed by Outlander I lost quite a bit of sleep with both those. Ouch. I have said that I'm shallow. I don't read many romance books maybe I should. :) I'm not a fast reader. I just read a lot.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Hahahaha!!!!..what! should it be red or chocolate brown hehehe!!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Love the Group profile picture Rita. :)

message 8: by Petra (new)

Petra Hi, Everyone! Thanks for the invite!
My reading time if limited due to work, commute, family, etc. so I don't really fly through a book. However, when one really grips me, I can't wait to reach for it.
The last one like this was Set This House in Order: A Romance of Souls. Being told from the point of view of a person with split-personality disorder gave the book a different outlook on ordinary life and how people cope. It was a very well written novel, told in a warm and sensitive way.
Gail, I lost a lot of time to Outlander et al. as well. Nothing beats Jamie and Claire. That said, I'm about 3 books behind in the series. I really need to catch up.
I refused to read the Twilight series.....so I listened to them instead on audio. LOL! An interesting spin on Romeo & Juliet, don't you think?

message 9: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 16, 2010 08:15PM) (new)

Yay, glad you could join us Petra. Now where is Rita to rev up this group?

I have no pride. I purchased the Twilight series for my daughter (I she was 11 years old at the time, she has turned 13 last Sunday) then proceeded to read them myself. They were a fast fun read. I feel guilty for enjoying them. :)

message 10: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 16, 2010 08:18PM) (new)

P.S. I have added 'Set This House in Order' to my TBR list. Thanks Petra.

message 11: by Petra (new)

Petra I hope you enjoy it, Gail. I also read Matt Ruff's Bad Monkeys, which was a very schitzophrenic type of story. As a reader, I never knew what was true or not. It was another good story of Ruff's. Set This House In Order is much more sedate and orderly.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Rita wrote: Thank you! I took all those pictures myself and photoscaped them too :) for more artsy things you can check out my profile on http://..."

Rita I checked out your 'artsy things' excellent, I'm not artsy at all, but I loved quite a few of your collection.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

You have a long weekend? Lucky you. Congrat's on the new car purchase.

Baseball,softball,baseball,baseball. Thats my entire weekend taken up. I'm squeezing in the housework between innings.

message 14: by Petra (new)

Petra I've had a couple of weeks off of work. Have to go back on Tuesday.
I spent the good part of a week with my step-dad, who lives on Vancouver Island (I live on the mainland).
This past week, I've cooked, cleaned, read, stitched, relaxed and had the gas heater in the Family Room replaced. The old one no longer worked well (and was really ugly).
We now need to look at a new hearth. The old one had to be removed to give the new gas heater an extra 1" clearance. Bummer! The new heater is currently resting on wooden blocks.

message 15: by Lynda (new)

Lynda I am Lynda and I am hijacking this group since no one has used it for a couple years.

I like the concept because in the last decade my reading has changed markedly (is that a word?)

I spend almost all day and frequently most of the night reading online...books, blogs, fan fiction, newsletters, sites, etc.

I used to talk daily with several like-minded friends, but the last couple years have been fatal to us. I am the only one left. So, when my hands are up to the task I will write here about what we used to talk about.

message 16: by Phrodrick (new)

Phrodrick On the off chance this group is still a group, I am inviting myself in.
My last fast read was The Last Battle: When U.S. and German Soldiers Joined Forces in the Waning Hours of World War II in Europe.
My method for slowing down fast reads is to keep several books going at once. All are invited to scan my reviews as that its the best way to see that I trend from the serious to the silly with a sprinkle of the more than a tad naughty.

I am a fan of buddy reads, but I tend to be have my schedule full against the notion I will pick up on a title not yet on my shelves.

So as we say in Texas: How ya' all?

If Ya'll there be....