I Love Young Adult Books discussion

Books > What YA books would I like?

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Linda Clemens (new)

Linda Clemens | 3 comments I thought I was new to YA books when I read The Hunger Games series, loved that, and realized that it was considered YA. Then I looked at a list and found Ender's Game--one of my favorite book of all times. So I started searching them out. I just finished Elsewhere and was, as an adult, disappointed. I would have loved it as a 12 year old but not as an adult. It's more like what I would have thought YA was like. Well-written but not quite 'there' for a serious reader.

Given my love of HG and EG, do any of you have suggestions for other titles I might enjoy?

message 2: by Janeen-san (new)

Janeen-san  (misswannareadalot) | 432 comments Hmmmm....how about the Atherton series?

message 3: by Jennifer (last edited Sep 15, 2010 01:08PM) (new)

Jennifer The Synthesis (Powerless, #1) by Jason Letts The Shadowing (Powerless, #2) by Jason Letts I've been having a great time with this series. It's sort of like Hunger Games but with less violence...at least in the beginning. I'm reading the second book now and it's almost like how Katniss got to be Katniss. A really great story.

P.S. Janeen-san, what is your profile pic of? I can't tell and it looks interesting.

message 4: by Janeen-san (new)

Janeen-san  (misswannareadalot) | 432 comments Did you just say it's like Hunger Games but with less violence?!?!!?1?!?! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 5: by Janeen-san (new)

Janeen-san  (misswannareadalot) | 432 comments

My profile pic is a poster for the movie "9". It was produced by Tim Burton, and directed by Shane Acker. Shane Acker made the original "9" short for his collage, and it actually won an Academy Award!
Because I saw the name Tim Burton on the movie cover, my entire family thought it was going to be really disturbing. And to some, it probably is. It's very dark, and defiantly not a film for everyone. But I happened to love it! I've seen it 4 times in the course of 3 days, and I still find the idea extremely unique.
The concept of this movie is that 9 burlap ragdolls live in a world where all human life has ended, due to a War with the Machines--Machines that were built for peace, but, lacking a human soul, turned against the humans, destroying almost all life...
However, a scientist creates 9 rag-dolls, claiming "Life must go on." They live in fear, trying to survive attacks of the Cat Beast, who lives to destroy them...that is, until 9 comes along,daring to ask, "Why? How?"
Thus the group of 9 rag-dolls band together--some unwillingly--on a mission to survive, and embark on a quest for answers.
I loved this film, it's so...unique! There will probably never, ever, ever be another one like it.
I hope, if you get a hold of it, you watch it and can tell me what you think of it, because I'd love to hear your opinion! :)

message 6: by **Carla** (new)

**Carla** Jennifer wrote: "The Synthesis (Powerless, #1) by Jason LettsThe Shadowing (Powerless, #2) by Jason Letts I've been having a great time with this series. It's sort of like Hunger Games but with less violence...at least in the beginning...."

oh i am intrigued as I love love love the hunger games and just finished mockingjay yesterday.. I would like to read something along the same lines again.thanks!!!

and as far as ya books to suggest I really enjot the mortal instruments series by cassandra clare.. It is a paranormal fanatsy ya book. I really loved them too.

message 7: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer **Carla** wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "The Synthesis (Powerless, #1) by Jason LettsThe Shadowing (Powerless, #2) by Jason Letts I've been having a great time with this series. It's sort of like Hunger Games but with less violence...at least ..."

Janeen-san *Story Writer* wrote: "Did you just say it's like Hunger Games but with less violence?!?!!?1?!?! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Haha! Yeah I know. It sounded pretty perfect to me too. It's kind of got its own world like Hunger Games does, but it's more medieval instead of dystopian. You should definitely check it out!

message 8: by Linda Clemens (new)

Linda Clemens | 3 comments Appreciate it--I'm going to grab a sample chapter on the Kindle. I'm putting off reading Mockinjay until I re-read the 1st 2. Since it's been a year since I finished Catching Fire, I'm not remembering much of it. I think I'll enjoy the last one a lot more of I re-read the 1st 2.

message 9: by Janeen-san (new)

Janeen-san  (misswannareadalot) | 432 comments Is there a sample chapter online? When is it coming out in libraries?

message 10: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Linda wrote: "Appreciate it--I'm going to grab a sample chapter on the Kindle. I'm putting off reading Mockinjay until I re-read the 1st 2. Since it's been a year since I finished Catching Fire, I'm not remembe..."

I love the sample chapter feature too! I agree that reading Catching Fire again might be a good idea, just to make sure you remember all the little details.

Janeen-san *Story Writer* wrote: "Is there a sample chapter online? When is it coming out in libraries?"

I'm not sure about libraries. It might just be an ebook thing now. You can read the first chapter on their cool website www.powerlessbooks.com You could always try the free kindle for PC app to get it.

message 11: by Linda Clemens (new)

Linda Clemens | 3 comments Actually there is a sample chapter for the Kindle but the entire book is only 99 cents so I downloaded the entire books.

message 12: by Janeen-san (new)

Janeen-san  (misswannareadalot) | 432 comments Well, I'm sort of careful about buying books and things like that, ever since I bought The Fire Stone and it turned out to be not very good...I tried to read the sample chapter but it wouldn't let me! :( A box came up saying it was damaged and couldn't be repaired. I don't have an eBook or Kindle or whatever it's called, and frankly I don't want one...are you sure it's not coming out in libraries?! :(

message 13: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Janeen-san *Story Writer* wrote: "Well, I'm sort of careful about buying books and things like that, ever since I bought The Fire Stone and it turned out to be not very good...I tried to read the sample chapter but it wouldn't let ..."

Really? I just tried it and it worked fine. Try opening up a new browser window and trying again. It really is good to check sample chapter so you have an idea of what you're getting. As for a paper version, I think the new thing is for books to come out in ebook first and then print later, so it probably will soon.

Linda wrote: "Actually there is a sample chapter for the Kindle but the entire book is only 99 cents so I downloaded the entire books."

Oh, great, well I hope you like it! It's so nice finding cheap books like this. The second one just came out a little while ago and things are really heating up!

message 14: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer I just watched 9 and it was a great movie! If you haven't seen it yet, check it out!

message 15: by Denise (new)

Denise (drstacer) | 39 comments Have you read Ender's Game?

message 16: by Janeen-san (new)

Janeen-san  (misswannareadalot) | 432 comments Jennifer wrote: "I just watched 9 and it was a great movie! If you haven't seen it yet, check it out!"

I love that movie! It's so great! I was listening to the soundtrack, the first track called "Introduction", where the Scientist is creating the ragdolls, and I was able to quote that entire scene down to the letter and at the exact same moment in the movie. That's how many times I've seen it. I know what part in the music the talking stops and starts.
Call me obsessed! ^^