Books on the Nightstand discussion

Book Specific Discussions > Never Let Me Go

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new)

Ann (akingman) | 2097 comments Mod
Denise, I love Never Let Me Go, but I don't think we've ever discussed it on the podcast. I'm hoping to see the film. May be time to bring this one up ... thanks!

I think I did talk about Nocturnes, Ishiguro's collection of short stories. I liked it a lot, though I think it's quite different from both Never Let Me Go and The Remains of the DAy.

message 2: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (akoneill) | 17 comments I loved this book. It was a wonderful blend of young adulthood (though not in a YA novel) and mystery with a few other things that might be spoilery so I won't list them here. I thought it was fabulous. I am worried, though, that the movie won't be able to capture the same atmospheric tension.

message 3: by Karen (new)

Karen | 2 comments This book is difficult to talk about without giving spoilers. I listened to the audio version and highly recommend it. The story is told in first person which really lends itself to audio, and the artist does an excellent job. I really loved this book.

message 4: by Jason (last edited Sep 15, 2010 04:53PM) (new)

Jason (jasonct) | 69 comments See I didn't really like this book. I thought the writing was somewhat "clunky" at times and didn't really understand the hype.

I will agree though, the audio is a good version. I'm glad I listened to it vs reading in print. Had I read it in print, I don't think I would have finished the book.

message 5: by Melissa W (last edited Sep 17, 2010 01:02AM) (new)

Melissa W (melissawiebe80) | 199 comments I hate to say this but this is one book I wished I had never read. I found it to be slow and I had to force myself to finish the book. In my last move, I packed it up with the books that I donated; I didn't want to have it any more and didn't feel any sort of kinship to the book. But that being said, I really liked When We Were Orphans.

message 6: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 89 comments Melissa W wrote: "I hate to say this but this is one book I wished I had never read. I found it to be slow and I had to force myself to finish the book. In my last move, I packed it up with the books that I donat..."

I won't say that I wish I had never read it, but I was quite underwhelmed by it and did find it to be quite slow.

message 7: by Ashley FL (new)

Ashley FL | 28 comments I loved it. From talking with friends, it seemed to either strike a chord with a reader or not -- not much in between. At the time I read it, it was a totally new concept to me and the plot, combined with the beauty of the writing, really over-whelmed me.

message 8: by Melissa W (new)

Melissa W (melissawiebe80) | 199 comments Maybe saying that I wished I had never read it was a bit harsh, but I was underwhelmed by the book and found it be slow.

message 9: by Tarah (new)

Tarah (kabittarah) | 2 comments This instantly became one of my top books. I saw the movie preview, which included Kazuo Ishiguro's name. I read The Remains of the Day recently because Jeff Bezos said it was his favorite book in an interview.

I understand how some people think this book is slow (as well as The Remains of the Day), but Ishiguro is very engaging, poignant, and true to his theme.

message 10: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (lorettalucia) | 136 comments Just finished this tonight, and was totally blown away. I read it slowly at first, which I think allowed me to savor some of the slower parts of the book, and contemplate the meaning behind fairly mundane events. And once I got to the middle of the book and the action started picking up, I devoured the last half in a couple hours. Loved it.

I guess it's just a polarizing novel.

I need to make my way out to see the movie now.