Wild Things: YA Grown-Up discussion

My Most Excellent Year
This topic is about My Most Excellent Year
Contemporary > My Most Excellent Year by Steve Kluger

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Ashley (affie) | 468 comments I just finished this book last night. It's been on my TBR for a while, and I almost read it about 2 years ago, but never got around to it.

I absolutely loved it! I thought the characters were wonderful, and I wish I had known someone like T.C.! I admit that some (if not many) of the situations and scenarios the characters found themselves in were a little unrealistic, especially because they were Freshmen in HS, but I loved it nonetheless. It is generally a bonus to the author if I know something is a little far out there, but they make me believe it anyway.

I loved the story format, told alternately between the three main characters as if they were writing journal entries. It was for a class assignment and it was very interesting to see how each character chose to address their journal entries to.

Has anyone else read it? If not, I definitely recommend giving this one a chance. It's such a fantastic story. One I definitely want on my shelves!

Lydia (loverofinformation) | 596 comments Thanks Ashley. I'm been looking for a journal format book. I'll check this out.

Ashley (affie) | 468 comments Lydia wrote: "Thanks Ashley. I'm been looking for a journal format book. I'll check this out."

I hope you like it!

Lydia (loverofinformation) | 596 comments Kluger chose to write this novel in terms of essays and diaries kept my the three main characters. The main problem I had was keeping track of them through the first quarter of the book. The characters are not only multicultural, but also include a gay male character -- which at times sounded "too contrived". The gay male "loved theatre", had appropriate troubles with coming out [although everyone else "knew' he was gay], and other stereotypical characteristics. The female, Mexican, was born into a highly political family.

In essence, the characters seemed to lack depth. I'm also not quite sure how "My Most Excellent Year" really is relevant to the text. The person who seemed to have the best year was a deaf boy from an orphan's institution who finds a home, in addition to a way to realize that movies/stories are not real. He was undoubtedly the most believable character in the entire book.

Jessica I just finished reading My Most Excellent Year a few weeks ago, and I just loved it. I loved every single character, their relationships, the way the story was told. I could go on and on.

Reading it left me feeling good, and I was sad to see it end. I would definitely recommend it to others.

message 6: by Jennifer W, WT Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jennifer W | 1289 comments Mod
I'm about halfway into this one. I'm really enjoying it. Young love, growing up, real issues, and different writing style. I guess the only drawback would be that the main character is a Red Sox fan... guess it can't be totally perfect. ;)

message 7: by Jennifer W, WT Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jennifer W | 1289 comments Mod
I finished reading this this morning. It was totally cute, had me smiling the whole time, and I just loved Hucky and how the whole community (of the book) rallied around this kid. Awesome feel good story.