Perspective Plus discussion

Chit Chat > Fat is a four leter word

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kim, Proud Queen of the Fat and Fabulous! (last edited Oct 01, 2011 07:28AM) (new)

Kim (mrsnesbitt) | 1031 comments Mod
It used to be that if you were fat, you were wealthy. It used to be you lived off the fat of the land. Then being a fat cat was seen as something negative and now, the poorer you are, the more likely you are to be over weight, and the richer,the thinner.

Since a lot of your poorer areas do not have grocery stores (they are always the first to abandon ship when a neighbor hood starts to go down hill) most people are then forced to shop at convenience stores that mostly carry pre-packaged/processed foods.

Foods loaded with hidden sugars,salt,and fat. Areas that may not be safe to walk in for many safety reasons keep people inside.

Swing the other way. People who live in better areas are also gaining weight because they are eating out more often, due to being lazy/tired/etc. Portion control at restaurants has gotten out of hand. If they gave you a proper portion at the price they charge, nobody would eat out.

Fat by it's basic definition, means one who is not thin.

Now, it is said in the same terms as seeing a cockroach.

I AM NOT A COCKROACH!

I refuse to be seen as such any longer, and neither should any of you. Fight back! Resist this "anit-obesity" movement tooth and nail. Fight for better health care, fight for better treatment!

Yes, be healthy, get exercise and watch the not so good stuff, but fight for your rights and those of others to have healthy foods and safe places to exercise, or fat is going to replace f*** as the mother of all swear words.

message 2: by Kim, Proud Queen of the Fat and Fabulous! (last edited Jan 21, 2011 07:29AM) (new)

Kim (mrsnesbitt) | 1031 comments Mod
Yesterday, I had the unfortunate moment of seeing a small bit of "The Drs." I normally do not watch twaddle like this or "Dr.OZ" but the topic behind their swelled heads got my attention. "Fat women who think their thin?" (the last word in italics). Apparently, these poor women are in denial of their size and do not want to listen to their doctors when they are told that they are fat. 2 of the men did admit to having high B.M.I. numbers even though they are in great shape (good muscle mass can give you high numbers just as much as bad fat can. Think about it!)

It was alright if you know you are fat and working on it, but not o.k. to be in what they were calling denial.

Denial or acceptance? If you accept yourself for who you are, are you in denial? If you accept yourself as an attractive person, even if you are *gasp!* fat, you are in denial of who you are? Or do these women truly refuse to see that they are larger and do need to accept that?

I don't know. I do not know of what news story or study to what this was inspired by, but I do know that I do not like the attitudes of the so called "Drs." on this show. They seemed to take the side of "if you are fat, well...." fill in the medical blank.

I think that doctors need to change how they see and treat overweight patients. They need to see the whole person and not the size. There are a lot of factors for weight gain,and not all of them stem from food or lack of movement. We need to see ourselves differently as well. We need to see ourselves as people who need a little work. Yes, we are bigger and yes we do need to be healthier, but not all of us are going to be a perfect size 10!

Accept who you are, but do not deny your size.

Be well.