Barnes & Noble Nook discussion

Nook - Your Personal eReader > Are you using a screen protector?

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Raggedyann (new)

Raggedyann | 62 comments Any thoughts on why they are sold in packages of 3?

message 2: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (beantime) I always thought they were sold in packages of three because it's so freaking hard to get one on your device perfectly on the first try. Nearly every time I have to use a screen protector (phone, handheld video games, nook, etc.), I've had to try twice. It's hard to get the air bubbles out. I read that even if there are a few bubbles, you should smooth them out as best you can and then wait a while before taking it off and trying again because the air bubbles can go away themselves, but that never really happens for me.

I bought a cheap case on Amazon that came with one screen protector for my nook. I got the part that goes on the touch screen on just fine, but the e-ink screen was another story. There were bubbles along the edges, and even though none of them were close to any words I had to read, they were still a big enough distraction that I just took the protector off. I love/hate screen protectors.

message 3: by Dixie (new)

Dixie (readerofthepack) I bought the B&N screen protector and it went on OK with just a few bubbles. Those few bubbles bugged me so much that I messed with it until it was an absolute mess. The B&N package only comes with one and it was $15 so I will live with the mess I made for now.

Lesson learned: It will only get worse the more you try to move it around.

message 4: by Lesli (new)

Lesli (lesmel) | 14 comments I bought my Nook and one protector film in June. I already am considering replacing the film. It's got some scratches and gouges that are annoying me. So, easier to replace the film if you buy in sets of three. The film isn't meant to last forever.

message 5: by Shari (new)

Shari (charboneau) Has anyone tried the Ghost Armour they can put on the nook to cover and its also warrantied for life? They use it alot on cell phones, but I have never tried it. They told me they could do it on the Nook.

Lori {Romancing the Dark Side} (romancingthedarkside) I bought the screen protector from B&N that comes with 2 pieces, one for the actual screen and one for the touch screen. It went on fine but I did notice that it was a tad smaller than the screen...this isn't a problem however. It still looks new and hasn't bubbled up. I have a harder time using the touch screen to turn the pages but I usually use the side to do that anyway. I was very happy with my purchase. I didn't know they had something with a lifetime guarantee.

message 7: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 340 comments Shari wrote: "Has anyone tried the Ghost Armour they can put on the nook to cover and its also warrantied for life? They use it alot on cell phones, but I have never tried it. They told me they could do it on ..."

I bought that for my phone but haven't looked into it for the Nook. It has been probably the best thing I got for my phone ever. It is really scratch resistant for when I throw it in my purse or put it in the same pocket as my car keys

message 8: by Raggedyann (new)

Raggedyann | 62 comments On the bubbles... Have you tried the technique they use on wallpaper bubbles? A tiny pin prick let's the air out and the wallpaper will smooth down. Obviously, you would have to do it carefully so you didn't scratch your screen, but it might work on the sides.

message 9: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo When I had it with my ipod touch I finally went crazy because I couldn't get rid of the bubbles and took it back to the store. There is a miracle guy that works there and knows how to do them without getting bubbles he told me the trick but I probably forgot. But will not touch my ipod touch one for sure and when I do I will let him do it. As for the nook. I was told I really didn't need to use them by someone there so I didn't waste the money for them.

message 10: by Dorie (new)

Dorie (dorieann) I don't use a screen protector at all. I figured that was what the case was for. I could see adding one for the touch screen, but for the larger reading screen I don't see the point. I figure in a few years they'll upgrade the Nook hardware to the point where I'll buy a new one anyway.

message 11: by Steve (new)

Steve | 1 comments I use a screen protector from xo skins. They only come with one, but they are the wet apply kind so you can line it up just right. And they aren't the cheap plastic kind that fail after five minutes.

message 12: by Kenna (last edited May 24, 2011 06:42AM) (new)

Kenna (kennas) Shari wrote: "Has anyone tried the Ghost Armour they can put on the nook to cover and its also warrantied for life? They use it alot on cell phones, but I have never tried it. They told me they could do it on ..."

This.

I dont have a cover on mine; the screen protector and a cover seem redundant. I do however have several large gouges in my nookcolor that would make it impossible to see had I not had the protector on there. (Gouges on the protector that is, not the nook itself.)

They also save on wear and tear on your screen. So many swipes will leave a groove in the screen and the matte finish helps to reduce glare (although you still have to have the brightness at full strength when reading outside on a sunny day. The protectors need replaced every then and again.

The thing I found pointless was the cleaning cloth that comes with the protectors. Really, who uses THOSE?

message 13: by Pam (new)

Pam Hunt (justqltin) | 5 comments I don't have a cover for my Nook Color yet but I am very pleased with the "non glare" screen cover from B&N. I have a griffin screen protector for my Iphone and they are nearly identical. Went on perfectly in one easy step and not a bubble anywhere. My e-ink nook has a zagg Invisible shield on it. It works well but I can tell it's there which I hate. I had a cheaper one on and when I removed it there were a lot of tiny scratches on the reading panel screen cover that I was discarding. Of course I tend to sit it down on the couch to run and tend to something and we have a small dog and a 4 year old....

message 14: by Michelle (new)

Michelle I too have been using the B&N protector on my Nook Color and love it. I had no problem applying it to the screen. I read and eat constantly and kept getting fingerprints all over my nook screen. For some reason with the screen protector I no longer have the fingerprints. Maybe I am keeping the finger that I turn the page with cleaner...

message 15: by Diane (new)

Diane (dhalloway) | 1 comments I tried three times and failed. Went back to B&N and purchased another package of three and they put it on for me. I heard that there is actually a kisock in the mall that will put them on for a price. There is a knack to it for sure.

message 16: by Mike (new)

Mike (mvaller00) | 2 comments I'm using a ZAGG protector... comes with a lifetime warranty and is military grade... I reate this a A++++ I love this and have used many products in the past. I don't go with anything but ZAGG now honestly. It did cost me $25 but it's great, you can peal it off and reuse it and will never scratch... research it some... they are great!