Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Uh oh!

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashley (last edited Jul 07, 2008 01:49PM) (new)

Ashley (ashleym) | 147 comments I came across this today:
The most popular edition of Harry Potter 6 (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1....) has been changed to reflect the info in a foreign language edition by a librarian. Another librarian caught this and changed it back, but now the same (first) librarian has again changed all the info again (ISBN included) to match the foreign edition I'm assuming she wants to review. I wanted to send her a message, but her profile is private (http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/40...) so I can't do so.

I'll see if I can find the ISBN for the most popular edition again and switch all the info back, but I'm worried that she's changed all of the info on other books as well.

What do you guys think should be done? I'm thinking I should send her a friend request and hope she accepts so a message can be sent, but I don't know what else there is beyond that and keeping an eye out to change any others back to the correct info.

message 2: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ashleym) | 147 comments It turns out she left the ISBN-13 intact and only changed the ISBN-10, so that was easy enough with the converter. From there I just refreshed info from amazon and all is back to normal with this book at least...

message 3: by jenjn79 (new)

jenjn79 | 565 comments Since the person is changing the ISBN as well, you could create another edition and use the ISBN the person has added. That way, if he/she tries to change it again, it will come up with an ISBN error. And hopefully they will then use that new edition as the one for their edition.

message 4: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ashleym) | 147 comments That's a great idea Isis, but the tricky thing is the ISBN she tried to put in seemed to be just a corruption of an already existing ISBN (I could be wrong, but I think only the last number was different). The edition I think she wanted to review was already in the database, so it looks as though she ignored the ISBN error message and changed the info anyways. If she changes it again I'll double check on the ISBN thing, unfortunately her ISBN seems to be lost for now since it doesn't show up in the librarian change log as something that was changed in any of the cases.

message 5: by jenjn79 (last edited Jul 07, 2008 02:14PM) (new)

jenjn79 | 565 comments Hmm, that does make it tough. I see that there is another Indonesian edition. I looked up the ISBN. It is correct (and I added the ISBN 13 to it). And it has the same info as the changes the person made.

I guess if all else fails you could leave a note in the book summary for the librarian. Not the best thing to do, but since you can't send her a message, there aren't many options.

message 6: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jessicareading) | 69 comments Thanks, everybody, and sorry I didn't get to this sooner. I've temporarily revoked librarian privileges and sent an explanation to that member.

message 7: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ashleym) | 147 comments Thank you, Jessica, and thanks Isis for your help :)

message 8: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 45034 comments Mod
Thanks, Jessica! :)

message 9: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2413 comments Thanks Jessica. And it wasn't at all a long response time.

message 10: by jenjn79 (new)

jenjn79 | 565 comments Ashley, you're welcome. Glad there was a way to keep the problem from recurring over and over!

Thanks Jessica for stepping in!

message 11: by Lola (new)

Lola | 1 comments Thank you, Jessica and Ahley. I wasn't sure what to do when i saw she changed the info again. I didn't mean to "tattletale" but it was so frustrating. i didn't want to camp out watching the book forever, to make sure the correct info stayed.

I just joined this group, i didn't even know it was here. I'm going to have a look around :)

message 12: by jenjn79 (new)

jenjn79 | 565 comments I think there are other books that were changed this way as well...

(I was bored and had nothing else to do, so I did some digging...don't ask).

This book had all it's data flipped around according to the log. But to make sure, I separated it out temporarily so I could see just the reviews for that edition...and they are mostly in English. I believe it should be this edition.

message 13: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Indeed. I fixed it (well, someone had done some of the fixing already; I did the remainder).

If you wanted to do some more digging, don't let me stop you. ;)

message 14: by jenjn79 (last edited Jul 09, 2008 02:32AM) (new)

jenjn79 | 565 comments The odd thing about the edits on that book...the librarian changed the edition I linked to what you saw (those were the exact changes), but then shortly afterward also went and changed the 'appropriate' translation edition to the same exact info + a summary.

It doesn't make much sense.

I'll probably do some more digging tomorrow. There were other changes by that librarian, but they appeared to be okay. It's too bad we can't get a log of edits just by a specific librarian.

message 15: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

It's too bad we can't get a log of edits just by a specific librarian.

That would be very useful.

This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For | 949 comments That should actually be pretty easy since there is already a generally log of all librarian edits which is already publicly available.. It just needs a username filter.

message 17: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Well, more likely a user_id filter, one-of-many-Michaels. :)

message 18: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Moorhouse Hmm. But then everyone could see my mistakes!

message 19: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Squirrel, I was thinking the same thing! ;)

message 20: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jessicareading) | 69 comments It's too bad we can't get a log of edits just by a specific librarian.

We are able to pull this info up, but there isn't any kind of public search function. Do you think this could be a useful learning tool for new librarians, enabling them to see top librarians in action?

For now, please let me know (email support or post here) if a specific librarian seems to misunderstand the rules.

message 21: by jenjn79 (new)

jenjn79 | 565 comments For now, please let me know (email support or post here) if a specific librarian seems to misunderstand the rules.

I hate singling a person out and I feel bad that a librarian is being discussed like this...but the original librarian referred to in the first post of this thread did the same thing to at least one other book - changing the most popular English edition to a foreign translation (which I came across digging through the mass edit log). I'm guessing there is a good chance there might be a few more, but since the person's profile is private, there's no way to check the person's books. The only way to do some checking would be to look at a log for just that librarian.

message 22: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

I'm guessing the ESL issue is a complicating factor in this case.

Isis, you can always email Jessica directly (or use the contact link). I agree with your discomfort about discussing specific librarians, but I'm not sure what else to do when they are not members of this group and have a private profile.

message 23: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Moorhouse Maybe we need a specific librarian-to-librarian contact link? as in "contact THIS librarian about THIS book"--it could work from the change log page maybe?

message 24: by Cait (last edited Jul 11, 2008 06:56AM) (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Oh, that would be tremendously useful, Squirrel! And encourage more interlibrarian consultation, too. :)

message 25: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2413 comments Squirrel, What a wonderful idea! I wonder if Goodreads could offer this easily.

message 26: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

That is indeed a marvelous notion. :)

message 27: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jessicareading) | 69 comments Interesting suggestion. I'm not sure I fully understand what you envision. From the change log, you can always click the member name and then send a message from the profile page (if he/she accepts messages). Something more explicit than that?
Possibilities:
- When any member becomes a librarian, he/she agrees to accept messages only from other librarians (I worry that this might discourage some from signing up, especially those who apply just to make a few one-time changes to favorite books. These folks don't do a lot of volume, but are still valuable, especially for niche books).
- My guess is that librarians who make unusual or large-scale mistakes are probably not consulting the librarian change log. So maybe a pop-up window should appear if a librarian tries to make changes to a book that has already had maybe a threshold of some # of edits (5-10?). The pop-up would tell the librarian to consult the change log and/or message the librarian who has already made changes.
- Who is "this" librarian? Squirrel, are you envisioning that there would be a primary contact for each book? How would this be determined? # of edits on that book?

Long-winded answer. Good brainstorming, everybody!

message 28: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

I understand your concern with the first suggestion, but I think it's a good one anyway. Speaking as someone whose profile is private, I have no objection getting emails from other non-friended librarians and would welcome a way to do so.

I really like the second one!

As for the third, I can't be sure what she meant, but my interpretation of what Squirrel said was that there would be a link that would allow you to send an email automatically to the librarian responsible for a particular edit, even if that librarian has a private profile, and the email would automatically note what book it was regarding.

message 29: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Moorhouse Yes, it was particularly to contact the librarian who'd made a change to a book about that change to that book only. Maybe if there's a concern that it will put people off, we could make it a voluntary thing if a librarian has a private profile? To agree to accept messages only from other librarians about edits.

message 30: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2413 comments Squirrel, I like the idea A LOT. And, if a message could be sent to the librarian(s) directly, and not from their profiles, those with private profiles could still be kept private.

message 31: by Otis, Chief Architect (new)

Otis Chandler | 315 comments Mod
I added a page to see a specific librarians edits. That should help!

message 32: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2413 comments Thanks Otis. Old thread! :-)

message 33: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Thanks, Otis! :)