The Sword and Laser discussion

Anyone read Armor

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Randy (last edited Sep 13, 2010 05:18PM) (new)

Randy Word (rword) | 21 comments Has any of you read Armor? I read it years ago and just heard rumor of a sequel which got me thinking who else thought this was a great book. If I can fin my copy I'm going to read it again. It has been years!
Armor by John Steakley

message 2: by Cameron (new)

Cameron (cm_cameron) | 50 comments Haven't read it yet, though I've been wanting to for a while. I've heard it compared rather frequently to Starship Troopers and The Forever War, both of which I've read. (Didn't like Heinlein's, loved Haldeman's). How does Armor compare?

message 3: by Stan (new)

Stan Slaughter | 359 comments Armor by John Steakly ? Good book. Sort of like Starship Troopers, but more angst in it. To me it felt to me more like a melding of Troopers and Forever War. (not plot points, but feeling it invoked)

message 4: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6255 comments Next you have to read Old Man's War

message 5: by Stephen (new)

Stephen | 9 comments I loved armor, I agree with Stan and Cameron much better than Starship troopers, similar to the forever war. Old Man's War was good but had a much more modern feel (slicker more detailed tech) Armor had more of the old Space Opera feel. In some ways it reminded me of Haldeman's There is No Darkness in terms of the characters and feel.

message 6: by Eric (new)

Eric Morgan (morgchop) | 7 comments Armor was a favorite in my youth and one of the few paperbacks I have kept around since then. Yes, definitely better than Starship Troopers, but then again it is a much larger book with more content.

message 7: by Welwyn (new)

Welwyn Wilton Katz | 46 comments Fiction? I have a non-fiction book called that. Great info on all kinds of weapons too.

message 8: by Eric (new)

Eric Gardner | 113 comments I found the fact that they were fighting endless streams of ants to be a bit silly.

message 9: by Welwyn (new)

Welwyn Wilton Katz | 46 comments Did you ever read the story or see the movie "Lohengrin versus the ants"? I think it was called that. Talk about terrifying. Then, at least, it was terrifying. Maybe now, not so much.

message 10: by Philip (new)

Philip (heard03) | 383 comments Armor is an excellent book. I've read the paperback and the Audible version(which is a pretty recent release). I don't particularly like it being compared to Starship Troopers or The Forever War, I like them all and think they are all distinct and stand on their own quite well. I do think if you enjoyed Starship Troopers or The Forever War, you'll enjoy it also. Armor is a very character driven book, with some interesting ideas explored as well. It's a must read if you enjoy military SF.

message 11: by Julie (new)

Julie Davis (juliedhc) I felt Armor had a bit more depth than some of the other military SF I've read ... though in my opinion nothing compares to the Weber/Ringo series begun in "March Upcountry."

Also, although this is a different genre, I strongly recommend Vampires by John Steakley. Truly a wonderful book.

message 12: by Andre (new)

Andre (delareza) | 4 comments Armor and Vampire$ where one of the few dead tree books that managed to make it through my entire college career. Love them, as well as another great sci-fi Daniel Keys Morran The Long Run.

message 13: by Julie (new)

Julie Davis (juliedhc) I hadn't heard of that ... another one to go on my "to read" list! Thanks!

message 14: by Louis (new)

Louis (osiramon) | 60 comments I loved the way Steakly wrote in both books. And Armour is one of the great sic fi military genre. I do agree with Julie that the March... Series ending in We Few by Weber and Ringo is good reading as well.