Young Adult Fiction for Adults discussion

Series > Chaos Walking Trilogy

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kourtni (last edited Sep 13, 2010 12:09PM) (new)

Kourtni (kourkyloo) | 602 comments I just finished Monsters of Men (Chaos Walking, #3) by Patrick Ness , the third book in the Chaos Walking trilogy, last night and I can't stop thinking about it!! Anyone else read this series? Love it? hate it? I would love to hear any thoughts anyone might have.

message 2: by Ji Mei (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) idk if i should read it, i got the first from the library, but it freaks me out when there's bad grammar (i guess that's a slight OCD thing, but i'm really not OCD)

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) Bluemoon stick with it. The first part of the first book is strange, but it really picks up. I loved book two and am waiting until Monster's is released here.

message 4: by Kourtni (new)

Kourtni (kourkyloo) | 602 comments Definitely stick with it! I gave up on the first book 100 pages in and I am so glad I picked it back up. It is one of my favorite series now.

message 5: by Monique (new)

Monique (moniqueurbanisedgeek) So is this worth the time? I, like Bluemoon, picked it up and got a little bothered in the first few pages by the writing.

message 6: by Kourtni (new)

Kourtni (kourkyloo) | 602 comments Well, I think they're worth it. It definitely took a bit for me to get used to the writing. Like I have said previously, I didn't like TKONLG at first, but once I got into it and things started to come together and the action picked up I was hooked. The books just kept getting better in my opinion. I think if I went back and read the first book now I would like it alot better.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) I see they are releasing audiobooks of all three books later this month. They better have a pretty good narrator as this series is going to be a challenge to read out loud.

message 8: by Monique (new)

Monique (moniqueurbanisedgeek) Thanks Bluemoon! I'll have a look at getting the first one this week!

message 9: by Milly (new)

Milly (bookfiend_milly) Finished the first and second books and onto the last installment. Glad to hear good reviews of it!

message 10: by Kourtni (new)

Kourtni (kourkyloo) | 602 comments Heidi I wrote: "I see they are releasing audiobooks of all three books later this month. They better have a pretty good narrator as this series is going to be a challenge to read out loud."

Oh, no kidding! I am curious to see how they turn out.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) I know Bluemoon! Read book two it is even better.

message 12: by Kourtni (new)

Kourtni (kourkyloo) | 602 comments **Spoilery-ish**

Bluemoon I was sobbing when I read that part. I don't handle animal cruelty/death/injuries all that well. I pretty much don't handle it at all. My husband thought I was crazy breaking down into tears for no reason at all. And book two is better!!

message 13: by Ali (new)

Ali | 106 comments might pick this up.. have heard so many good things about it..

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) Ali wrote: "might pick this up.. have heard so many good things about it.."

Loved the entire series. Beware you have to get used the writing style at first.

message 15: by Kurukka (new)

Kurukka I didn't think it was weird and got into it easily. Loved the series as well though the first will always be my favorite.

message 16: by Jill (new)

Jill | 68 comments I am almost done with The Ask and the Answer and I think I am leaving work and getting book three. I struggled in the beginning of book one. I have a hard time with poor grammar too but I am so happy I stuck with it. The characters are so endearing. I never expected to get emotionally attached to them.

message 17: by Kourtni (new)

Kourtni (kourkyloo) | 602 comments The third book is my favorite Jill. Hope you enjoy it! I also had a hard time with the beginning of book one, but I am glad I kept going because this is one of my favorite series now!

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) Yay another Chaos convert. I was hooked after book two as well!

message 19: by Jill (new)

Jill | 68 comments Just bought book 3. Can't wait to dive in but I don't want it to be over!

message 20: by Ali (new)

Ali | 106 comments OH MY GOD! I just finished book one... I think I cried SEVERAL times like a lil girl. What an outstanding book.. had buy the 2nd one on my Kindle immediately!

message 21: by Rollie (new)

Rollie (zheick) Ali wrote: "OH MY GOD! I just finished book one... I think I cried SEVERAL times like a lil girl. What an outstanding book.. had buy the 2nd one on my Kindle immediately!"

LOL! Was is it because of Manchee?

message 22: by Ali (new)

Ali | 106 comments Rollie wrote: "Ali wrote: "OH MY GOD! I just finished book one... I think I cried SEVERAL times like a lil girl. What an outstanding book.. had buy the 2nd one on my Kindle immediately!"

LOL! Was is it because o..."

YES! I haven't felt like that in a book in ages.. this is why I didn't see Marley and Me.. pets kill me!

message 23: by Kourtni (new)

Kourtni (kourkyloo) | 602 comments That part made me cry like a baby. I was crying so much I had to stop reading! lol

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard | 2261 comments The ending of book 3-----AHHHHHH

Just needed to let it out

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) It was so intense Cassi.

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard | 2261 comments Heidi I wrote: "It was so intense Cassi."

What drove me nuts is that it left me wanting more of the story. And it was the 3rd of a trilogy!!!

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) I liked that it ended when and how it did Cassi. I dislike series that go on and on. I am all for leaving it up to the readers imagination.

message 28: by Kourtni (last edited Dec 31, 2010 08:56AM) (new)

Kourtni (kourkyloo) | 602 comments I liked that every little detail wasn't explained at the end. It was perfect for me.

message 29: by Kurukka (new)

Kurukka I loved this ending as well. It was moving and hopeful. :)

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard | 2261 comments I'm not exactly saying that I had a problem with the ending but it left me wanting more!

I've seen people reviewing "The New World" short story and using it to judge the rest of Chaos Walking. Not sure that's a good plan.

message 31: by Kurukka (new)

Kurukka Mhm, I haven't read the prequel yet but to me, prequels and the story that follows are maybe too different. It sure is the same world but not the same story, so I think that's absurd to jugde the entire saga with this prequel.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) Cassi wrote: "I'm not exactly saying that I had a problem with the ending but it left me wanting more!

I've seen people reviewing "The New World" short story and using it to judge the rest of Chaos Walking. No..."

I knew what you meant and I agree. I just meant I liked that it left us wanting more :)

message 33: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) I'm not reading too much into this thread because I don't want any spoilers. I'm starting The Ask and the Answer today.

But is the prequel about what happened to New Elizabeth?

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard | 2261 comments It's about Viola on the ship before they arrived in the new world. Thus the voice is VERY VERY different. If you read that then start with Todd at the beginning of "Knife of Never Letting Go" you're going to be very thrown off by the spellings/grammar and everything.

It was a free kindle download and I needed more Chaos Walking.

message 35: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) Interesting. I'll have to download it.

message 36: by Kourtni (new)

Kourtni (kourkyloo) | 602 comments I enjoyed the prequel. But I started really getting into it and wanted to read more and then it was over. :( Guess I'll just have to get my fix with a KONLG re-read!

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard | 2261 comments I liked it. But I think the prequel does not do the book justice or represent the tone/voice of the book.

message 38: by Adeeb (new)

Adeeb (adeebn) | 6 comments I loved this series...it's one of the best books out there for boys oh and the writing style was VERY unique and original!

message 39: by Genkixino (new)

Genkixino | 1 comments I agree that the almost illiterate writing style had me questioning the book, but as I kept on reading and as the story line picked up to the wonderful suspense this book is, I can tell you that I almost completely forgot about the writing style and was completely engrossed in the book. This is the kind of book where you wait to finish a chapter to stop reading, then you can't help but read the next chapter in a constant cycle. I would recommend these books to anyone who appreciates a love/suspense. I LOVE THESE BOOKS :D

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) Genkixino wrote: "I agree that the almost illiterate writing style had me questioning the book, but as I kept on reading and as the story line picked up to the wonderful suspense this book is, I can tell you that I ..."

Yay!

message 41: by Lloyd (new)

Lloyd | 415 comments It's funny how I see people complaining about the grammar in the books...when that is really because the character just wasn't very well educated. I understood that right off and it never bothered me.

But what a great read this series was. Just reading people talking about it makes me want to start it all over again! I can't wait until he writes a new book!

message 42: by Heidi (Yup. Still here.) (last edited Jan 12, 2012 08:35AM) (new)

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) Lloyd wrote: "It's funny how I see people complaining about the grammar in the books...when that is really because the character just wasn't very well educated. I understood that right off and it never bothered ..."

After the first 50 pages or so the grammer was no big deal to me. A lot of people complained about similar stuff with The Help --- people you are supposed to be listening to the character! I think you understand characters more if they are written how they would talk or write in real life.

message 43: by Lloyd (new)

Lloyd | 415 comments Exactly!

message 44: by Kourtni (new)

Kourtni (kourkyloo) | 602 comments I agree. I just had to get used to the grammar, but once I did I loved the idea of it. It was endearing and made me love Todd and the book that much more.

Shannen *aka Mrs. Jericho Barrons* (shannybananny71) Agree with all three of you, Heidi, Lloyd and Kourtni. It made his voice more real.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) Shannen is March 23rd the date of the Hunger Games movie release??

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard | 2261 comments Heidi wrote: "Shannen is March 23rd the date of the Hunger Games movie release??"

YEP! *says Cassi in her best Shannen voice*

message 48: by Kourtni (new)

Kourtni (kourkyloo) | 602 comments Sooooo excited for Hunger Games!!!!!! :) AH!

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) Cassi aka Snow White wrote: "Heidi wrote: "Shannen is March 23rd the date of the Hunger Games movie release??"

YEP! *says Cassi in her best Shannen voice*"

hahaha Shannen how you've changed!

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) Kourtni wrote: "Sooooo excited for Hunger Games!!!!!! :) AH!"

Woot!

« previous 1