Sweeping Sagas discussion

How do you define a "sweeping saga"

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 478 comments Mod
So the topic has come up at the other thread and it might be fun to see how other members classify a saga, since the dictionary definition is not helping. What do you require to classify a book as a saga?

Multi-generational?
Plenty of strum, drang and drama?
Series?
Real historical elements as opposed to fictional characters?

Others?

message 2: by Megan (new)

Megan Personally, I consider a sweeping saga a story which spans a central character's lifetime (or close to it). It doesn't hurt if there's tonnes of tragedy, love, romance, historical events, adversity, inspiring strength of character etc etc...

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree with Mumbo....it doesn't necessarily have to be multi-generational, but it must span a character's (preferably long) life. Lots of drama....wars or upheaval, tragedy, joy.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) I like my "sweeping sagas" to be with a few generations..lots of history/drama/romance/tragedy/ survival/sometimes it can start out with one family & blend into another..and end up connected. I like it when a saga/generation is all in one book..so you dont have to track down the next 6 or 7! also not TONS of characters so that you get lost and it takes away from the story.

message 5: by Carey (new)

Carey (thetometraveller) | 109 comments Maybe Cynthia Harrod-Eagles' Morland Dynasty is overdoing it a bit (she is at 35th or 36th in the series & has a few more to go)...but it is still my absolute favorite series. Simply amazing! A saga couldn't get more sweeping.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Carey wrote: "Maybe Cynthia Harrod-Eagles' Morland Dynasty is overdoing it a bit (she is at 35th or 36th in the series & has a few more to go)...but it is still my absolute favorite series. Simply amazing! A s..."

You're tempting me waaay too much!

message 7: by Carey (new)

Carey (thetometraveller) | 109 comments Seriously Michele, would I steer you wrong? Top three: Sharon Kay Penman, Helen Hollick, Cynthia Harrod-Eagles. Nuf said.

message 8: by Vivian (last edited Aug 04, 2012 04:47PM) (new)

Vivian LeMay | 4 comments Hi, I'm Vivian LeMay I just joined this group. Nice to read your comments.
I like the broom as the groups profile photo, because a good sweeping saga means something is built up–– a setting, a business, a family––only to be "swept" away. Gone With the Wind comes to mind, whenever I think sweeping saga.

message 9: by Misfit (new)

Hi Vivian, welcome aboard. Feel free to stir things up, we've been quiet lately.

message 10: by Vivian (new)

Vivian LeMay | 4 comments Misfit wrote: "Hi Vivian, welcome aboard. Feel free to stir things up, we've been quiet lately."

Nice to meet you Misfit.

message 11: by Cphe (last edited Sep 01, 2015 12:12AM) (new)

Cphe Hello everyone,

The "Sweeping Saga" heading caught my eye and I had to delve deeper.

Sweeping saga for me has always meant a historical romance that takes place over the course of the hero/heroines lifetime and is angst driven.

The more angst the better. It is usually a standalone as well.

message 12: by Cphe (new)

Cphe I always think of them as historical - usually set at the turn of the century or just before.

message 13: by Misfit (new)

Cphe wrote: "Hello everyone,

The "Sweeping Saga" heading caught my eye and I had to delve deeper.

Sweeping saga for me has always meant a historical romance that takes place over the course of the hero/heroin..."

Angst is always a plus.

message 14: by Cphe (new)

Cphe True, the more angst the better IMO, followed by a HEA.

message 15: by Misfit (new)

Cphe wrote: "True, the more angst the better IMO, followed by a HEA."

Have you read the Eden books by Marilyn Harris? Talk about angst. This Other Eden

message 16: by Cphe (new)

Cphe Sorry didn't see your comment (smh)

I bought a used copy of This Other Eden a long while ago but still haven't got around to reading it.

message 17: by Misfit (new)

Cphe wrote: "Sorry didn't see your comment (smh)

I bought a used copy of This Other Eden a long while ago but still haven't got around to reading it."

:)

awesome book, as are the next few in the series. So much dark angst and drama.