Writers Unite discussion

Stuck? > Stuck, need help?

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Okay if you're having trouble and need help, (writer's block, or just some idea you're not sure about) ask what you want here!

message 2: by Cody (new)

Cody (rolinor) | 81 comments actually I have a question are my characters in my short stories a little to perfect or are they good its just something I'm kinda worried about.

message 3: by ¢σσкιєѕ (new)

¢σσкιєѕ | 197 comments Mod
Sup Cody! i read your work The Charge, and in my strongest opinion i think your Characters are fine, after i read the first chapter i couldn't stop i had to finish all the chapters you wrote.

However i would say you might want to add more excitement to the war you know perhaps adding something like "battle cries" explosives going out etc... i hope you get the point

Cheers!

message 4: by Cody (new)

Cody (rolinor) | 81 comments ok thanks I get worried sometimes and yeah that all sounds like a good idea hmmmm *thinks*

message 5: by Kat (new)

Kat (sugaraddict) I am stuck
which side should I join? I mean. the light side is good. But the dark side sent me this-

glitter-graphics.com

but they said that they might not share

HELP!

I luv how at the beginning you were like
'Hmm I can help' then a bit farther you were like 'Wait a second..' then at the pic you were smiling and going 'ahhh' and now your chuckling

If you still don't get it... *shakes head*

message 6: by Carina (new)

Carina hmm...i think you should join the darkside. i mean they have cookies!:P

message 7: by Carina (new)

Carina Cody wrote: "actually I have a question are my characters in my short stories a little to perfect or are they good its just something I'm kinda worried about."

One surefire way to tell is if you believe you've modeled the character after yourself, giving him traits similar to yours as well as sharing likes and dislikes.

Another way to tell in your case would be if your character won EVERY single battle just because he was the most awesome epic soldier on the planet. This would give the readers the impression that your character is in a sense perfect and readers don't very often sympathize with them. You want the readers to connect with your characters which in turn will help them to become more involved with your story.

Just my thoughts :)

message 8: by Amaranta (last edited Sep 12, 2010 11:43AM) (new)

Amaranta (foreverreader) | 125 comments Hey, I was thinking yesterday and might have come up with an idea, but I'm not sure if it's any good. Could you guys please let me know if I should just drop it, or continue? If I continue it, I'll probably call it The Secret Diary of Emily Carlton, and the description would probably be something like this:

Emily Carlton had everything coming to her. She was a child prodigy. Had great friends. Everything a girl could ask for...Until the car accident that killed her.

A few monthes after the accident, Lisa and Caren--Emily's two best friends--were helping her mom clean out Emily's room. While cleaning, they found a diary hidden in the back of one of her drawers. They started to read it and realized that Emily's life was far from perfect, and the accident was probably just the opposite.

Again, let me know if I should pitch it or pursue it, please. Thanks.

message 9: by Keara (new)

Keara (kearachristine) Sounds awesome! It seems like a little... eh... deja vu. :/ I swear I've heard something like this before...

message 10: by Cody (new)

Cody (rolinor) | 81 comments its sounds good but finish day dreamer first so you dont go insane jk lol but still finish day dreamer first please

message 11: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) where r the stories of the emmbers? i wld like to read em :) and Amaranta? that description was seriously intriguing, I'm dying to read the story =D

message 12: by ¢σσкιєѕ (new)

They have COOOOOOOKIES?????

message 13: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) who has cookies?! :O lol, m getting confused. helpppppppppp.....

message 14: by ¢σσкιєѕ (new)

the dark side got cookies :D

message 15: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) wats the dark side... or who?

message 16: by ¢σσкιєѕ (last edited Sep 13, 2010 12:29PM) (new)

look at what kat posted with her post and read it :)

message 17: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) i did. n i dn't answer

message 18: by Amaranta (new)

Amaranta (foreverreader) | 125 comments Amina wrote: "where r the stories of the emmbers? i wld like to read em :) and Amaranta? that description was seriously intriguing, I'm dying to read the story =D"

I haven't writen it anywhere actually. I just thought of it the other day and wanted to know if it was any good. I'm glad to know you like it. I'll let you know when I start it.

message 19: by Jo (new)

Jo (Penname8) STUCK
VERY VERY STUCK

message 20: by Carina (new)

Carina :) Ok Josephine, what are you stuck on?

message 21: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) Amaranta wrote: "Amina wrote: "where r the stories of the emmbers? i wld like to read em :) and Amaranta? that description was seriously intriguing, I'm dying to read the story =D"

I haven't writen it anywhere a..."

I read one of your stories, the dream-girl one lol. It was really cool!

message 22: by Cody (new)

Cody (rolinor) | 81 comments hmm I cant think of a good topic to write about for my short stories I'm thinking of doing a castle siege but I cant decide whether to be on the offensive side or defensive any one have any other ideas or which one would be more entertaining offensive or defensive.

message 23: by Carina (new)

Carina I feel that defensive would be kinda cool because you could talk about how your characters feel as they are defending their home (if they live in the castle. you know more than me :) but the offensive would be cool just because your characters would be running around screaming and burning things down. I honestly would like to see both :D It's up to you.

message 24: by Cody (new)

Cody (rolinor) | 81 comments sieges are kinda hard to write about due to them being so uneventful for long periods of time and then everything coming down on a day or even a few hours.... maybe I could just write both now do you think it would be better if it was as if they were both in the same castle and the same siege just different people (as in one generals perspective of an offensive attack vs anothers perspective of the same attack just on the defensive side) hmmm did that make sense

message 25: by Carina (new)

Carina Yes, perfect sense. I always like reading things from other people's perspectives and if you did this with the same siege then I think it would work well. that way you could let your audience get a more in depth feel for the small details taking place during the battle. Just my thoughts :) Good luck on your writing!

message 26: by Cody (new)

Cody (rolinor) | 81 comments ah thank I will do that then I just wanted to make sure it didnt sound stupid now which one to do first and who to have win

message 27: by Carina (new)

Carina :)

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

okay i was stuck, and i am a still stuck a bit- check out my characters and story and try to help in any way possible!!!!

message 29: by Carina (new)

Carina Ok. Tell me what exactly you're stuck on :)

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

message 31: by Carina (new)

Carina HEY!!!!!! :D

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

i ate a big rainbow swirly lollipop today at skool ;)

message 33: by Carina (new)

Carina Okee. Let me re-read Chapter two...*runs off to read Ch. 2*