The Readers Review: Literature from 1714 to 1910 discussion

Miscellaneous Archives > Members, What Time Zone are You In?

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Captain Sir Roddy, R.N. (Ret.), Founder (last edited Sep 10, 2010 04:09PM) (new)

Captain Sir Roddy, R.N. (Ret.) (captain_sir_roddy) | 1483 comments Mod
Kate just mentioned, and I paraphrase, 'that it drives her crazy' that we are scattered all about the globe and it is hard to figure out who's awake, who's not, who's an insomniac if they are up, and what day of the week it is? "If it is Tuesday, it is Belgium!"

So, anyway I thought it might be fun to list your location (generally, if you like) and Time Zone and your hours +/- from Greenwich Mean Time.

Here's a fun link for determining your time relative to GMT http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/

Here's a link to a map of time zones around the world http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=h...

I'll start--

Chris is very near Los Angeles, California, United States, and I reside in the Pacific Time Zone, and I am GMT -8 hours.

message 2: by Jan (new)

Jan (auntyjan) | 483 comments I'm in Perth Western Australia, GMT+8...but as a general rule I just substitute am for pm when talking to Americans, and that gives me a rough idea.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes, I did say time zones drive me nuts, especially the ones on the other side of the date line. LOL

I'm in Washington State, GMT -8 hrs.

message 4: by Jan (new)

Jan (auntyjan) | 483 comments But that's perfect...that means midnight GMT is 8am here, 8pm there...so just switch am for pm and you've got it! But remember I'm in the next day...so I can tell you that the world doesn't end tomorrow*laughs*. Another point of confusion...our state is WA and we have a suburb called Ferndale, so when I first saw Laurele's profile, I thought she lived the other side of the Swan River!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Jan wrote: "But that's perfect...that means midnight GMT is 8am here, 8pm there...so just switch am for pm and you've got it! But remember I'm in the next day...so I can tell you that the world doesn't end tom..."

Ummm. No. That would work if we had 16 hour days instead of 24 hour ones. But really you are 8 or 9 hours behind me (depending on daylight savings), only tomorrow. Or you are 16 or 17 hours ahead of me. So it's currently 5:00 pm here and 8:00 am there. Still confusing.

message 6: by Linda2 (last edited Sep 10, 2010 06:58PM) (new)

Linda2 | 3743 comments Near NYC, GMT-5. You can always check someone's location here or one of dozens of such sites:

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock...

If anyone wants a REALLY big job, they can post each person's location on a time zone map. LOL

http://www.worldtimezone.com/

Huge countries like Australia and the US have several time zones, enough to drive you batty.

Rochelle wrote: "Near NYC, GMT-5. You can always check someone's location here or one of dozens of such sites:

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock...

If anyone wants a REALLY big job, they can ..."

I may tackle that task after everyone has checked in with their time relative to GMT and general location. I am just nerdy enough to enjoy that little task! ;-)

message 8: by Linda2 (new)

Linda2 | 3743 comments You'd better hurry while we still have only 26 members. LOL.

message 9: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 3582 comments North-west Washington state, GMT -8 (or -7 or -9 for daylight savings time, I'm not sure which way it would go.)

message 10: by Historybuff93 (new)

Historybuff93 | 287 comments I'm in Minnesota, Central Standard Time. I'm not quite sure what the difference to GMT time is. I'm guessing something around -6?

message 11: by Linda2 (new)

Linda2 | 3743 comments You're right. Check the Time Zone map I posted.

message 12: by Grace Tjan (new)

Grace Tjan I'm in Jakarta, Indonesia, Western Indonesia Standard Time, GMT +7, an hour ahead of Jan in Perth.

"I may tackle that task after everyone has checked in with their time relative to GMT and general location. I am just nerdy enough to enjoy that little task! ;-)"

It would be great to see a map like that here!

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm currently on GMT+1 (British Summer Time) but at the end of October will revert to GMT for six months.

I'm loving this, you guys! I definitely will start putting our map together.

message 15: by Jan (new)

Jan (auntyjan) | 483 comments Sandybanks, if I'm GMT+8 and you're GMT+7, doesn't that mean you're an hour behind me?

message 16: by Jan (last edited Sep 11, 2010 07:05AM) (new)

Jan (auntyjan) | 483 comments And Kate you're quite right of course...obviously my brain power is not functioning well at 8am, I've been out all day...10 hours and haven't been near a computer, but realised something didn't add up and wondered whether any one would spot it. From that website I should be 14 hours ahead of you, but in reality I find it's easier to average the U.S. out to 12 hrs difference and swap pm for am as a rough calculation...otherwise it gets too tricky...for me anyway.

message 17: by Grace Tjan (new)

Grace Tjan Jan wrote: "Sandybanks, if I'm GMT+8 and you're GMT+7, doesn't that mean you're an hour behind me?"

I think we are one hour earlier than you, Jan. Now it's around 6.30 pm in Jakarta so in Perth it's 7.30 pm. Am I right? WA is in the same time zone as Eastern Indonesia (Bali and beyond).

message 18: by MadgeUK (last edited Sep 11, 2010 12:33PM) (new)

MadgeUK | 5214 comments David wrote: "I'm currently on GMT+1 (British Summer Time) but at the end of October will revert to GMT for six months."

Ditto but there has been talk by the UK government of not reverting to GMT (putting the clocks back by one hour), so that we can get into line with Northern European time. I expect they will announce it one way or another in October. It will mean that we don't put the clocks forward in Spring either and then we will be on a par with Europe.

I was listening to something about railway timetables the other day and apparently there is a difference of ten minutes in time between Scotland and the South of England but when the railways were completed and George Bradshaw decided to create his famous Railway Guide in 1839, he negotiated with the owners of the various railway companies to standardise the timetables from north to south and so 'dispensed' with these 10 minutes, whereupon Brits standardised their clocks to 'railway time' - the ten minutes disappearing into the ether I suppose!:).

message 19: by Jan (new)

Jan (auntyjan) | 483 comments Yes, Sandybanks, you are one hour earlier, which is what I meant when I said we are an hour ahead of you.

message 20: by Kester (new)

Kester Andrews | 36 comments Eastern Time -4GMT

message 21: by Joy (new)

Joy (joylnorth) -7GMT, but because Arizona does not participate in Daylight-Saving Time, we are sometimes Pacific Time and sometimes Mountain Standard.

message 22: by Linda2 (new)

Linda2 | 3743 comments Kester wrote: "Eastern Time -4GMT"

Eastern is GMT-5.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Rochelle wrote: "Kester wrote: "Eastern Time -4GMT"

Eastern is GMT-5."

Depends on Daylight Savings. GMT doesn't change, so EDT is GMT-4 and EST is GMT-5.

message 24: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 180 comments Northern Vermont, therefore EST, therefore GMT-5.

message 25: by Captain Sir Roddy, R.N. (Ret.), Founder (last edited Oct 01, 2010 10:08AM) (new)

Okay, my dear friend, Rochelle, has been after me to try and create a world time-zone map with all of our locations posted on it. Unfortunately, I cannot seem to find a map that I can annotate with our names and approximate locations. I am sure that there is one out there, I just haven't found it yet. Maybe Madge can help me find one.

Anyway, I did find a very nifty time-zone calculator. All you need to know is where a person is and it tells you the time for that person, as well as a whole host of other cities around the world.

Here's the link: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/

And here's the list of those of us who've responded with location and time relative to GMT--

Chris--Los Angeles, California, USA -8 GMT
Jan--Perth, Australia +8 GMT
Kate--Washington state, USA -8 GMT
Rochelle--New York, USA -5 GMT
Everyman--Washington state, USA -8 GMT
Sandybanks, Indonesia +7 GMT
David--Wales, UK GMT
Madge--Britain, UK GMT
Ami-- Central USA -6 GMT
Historybuff--Minnesota, USA -5 GMT
Kester--Trinidad & Tobago -5 GMT
Joy--Arizona, USA -7 GMT
S. Rosemary--Vermont, USA -5 GMT

So, for example, while it is Friday, October 1st, and 0905 Pacific Time here in southern California, it is Saturday, October 2nd and 0005 in Perth, Australia, and our dear Jan is sound asleep and snug in her bed!

Have fun!

message 26: by Historybuff93 (new)

Historybuff93 | 287 comments You can add me to on for Minnesota, USA; -5 GMT.

Historybuff93 wrote: "You can add me to on for Minnesota, USA; -5 GMT."

Done!

message 28: by Linda2 (last edited Oct 01, 2010 10:26AM) (new)

Linda2 | 3743 comments Chris--if you have Photo Shop or Paint Shop Pro, you can annotate anything. Just use the text tool, perhaps making each person's name red or blue. I've done it with my artists group.

Here's one:
http://mappery.com/maps/World-Time-Zo...

message 29: by Captain Sir Roddy, R.N. (Ret.), Founder (last edited Oct 01, 2010 11:15AM) (new)

Rochelle wrote: "Chris--if you have Photo Shop or Paint Shop Pro, you can annotate anything. Just use the text tool, perhaps making each person's name red or blue. I've done it with my artists group.

Here's one:
..."

Rochelle, you're right. I use Adobe's Custom Suites 4 for my landscape photography. Okay, I'll take a shot at it. And, thanks for that map. That's the best one I've seen yet.

message 30: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 3582 comments Rochelle wrote: "Chris--if you have Photo Shop or Paint Shop Pro, you can annotate anything. Just use the text tool, perhaps making each person's name red or blue. I've done it with my artists group.

Here's one:
..."

Interesting that China is all one time zone. They must get used to some pretty bizzare lifestyles -- if the sun comes up at 6:00 in the western end, it won't come up until around 10:00 in the eastern end.

message 31: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (joannamauselina) | 15 comments I am quite near Everyman, lurking (mainly) in Seattle.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Joanna wrote: "I am quite near Everyman, lurking (mainly) in Seattle."

Hi Joanna. Lots of us in this area. Laurele is up by Ferndale I think.

message 33: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 3582 comments Kate wrote: "Joanna wrote: "I am quite near Everyman, lurking (mainly) in Seattle."

Hi Joanna. Lots of us in this area. Laurele is up by Ferndale I think."

Can't wait for Christopher's map so we can see whether we are the primary geographical center for this group!

message 34: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (joannamauselina) | 15 comments Hi Kate! We have more than that in common. I have made cheese too. It turned out nicely several times, but then my equipment got a bad germ, and the next several times, it had a peculiar taste. I could not get rid of whatever it was, no matter how I cleaned. So..... this says that Hetty must have been doing a good job in the cheesery (or whatever), in addition to her nice needlework. She seems such a silly flibbertigibbet, but is a reasonably good worker, though pouty. I am hoping she does not come to the bad end that seems, at this point, to be in store for her.

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

I have a fond spot for the little flibbertigibbet. She just seems like a very normal air-headed seventeen year old who's testing out her wiles on the unsuspecting males around her.

Elizabeth (Alaska) Just found this thread. Ketchikan, Alaska is GMT-9. Since almost nothing happens in my time zone, I'm constantly calculating. (Something live at 7pm Eastern? 3pm here.) I usually use Melbourne time for calculating Australia because that's where the tennis tournament is - so my time minus 4 hours plus a day, and gets me close, although I have a GR friend in Darwin and think that's minus 5 hours plus a day.

message 37: by Denise (new)

Denise (dulcinea3) | 269 comments Another right-coaster here - near Boston, so Eastern Standard Time, GMT -5.

message 38: by Larry (new)

Larry CST, Dallas I'm afraid

message 39: by Rosemarie, Moderator (new)

Rosemarie | 2892 comments Mod
Eastern Standard Time -- Toronto

message 40: by Brit (new)

Brit | 80 comments CST

message 41: by Lori, Moderator (new)

Lori Goshert (lori_laleh) | 1369 comments Mod
Europe time (GMT +1, i think it is)

message 42: by Frances, Moderator (new)

Frances (francesab) | 1870 comments Mod
Eastern Standard-Ottawa

message 43: by Hilary (new)

Hilary (agapoyesoun) | 181 comments UK/Ireland - GMT

SORRY IM LAGGING BEHIND. I'm still holding on to Framley Parsonage which I adore! Trollope: what's not to like?!

message 44: by Rafael (new)

Rafael da Silva (morfindel) | 270 comments Natal, BRA, GMT -3.