Book Club discussion

Influences?

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (new)

John Cicero | 71 comments Mod
What or who is your greatest influence and why?

message 2: by Ross (new)

Ross Cavins (rosscavins) | 1 comments Easy one. Elmore Leonard because of his ability to find subtle humor in mundane actions that we all take for granted.

message 3: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Dunbar | 66 comments For me, it is discovering through imagination and story the sources of mythology and folklore. How did these myths and folk tales get started? Is there truth somewhere behind these legends? So much of what came before us was lost or is being horded by those desiring to preserve that information but not share it. One can only imagine.

Cheers!

Christopher Dunbar

message 4: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenwb) | 26 comments Jane Austen. The way she captured the world around her in a loving, yet sometimes biting commentary intrigues me. Each time I read her work, I find something new.

message 5: by Lady (new)

Lady (bestnewfantasyseries) | 11 comments I agree Christopher. How much don't we know? And how did these 'myths' or legends, today 'pooh-pooded' start? Surely a whole world of people couldn't just be superstitious? Definitely intriguing.

I have to say that JK Rowling really gave me my best 'boot in the butt' to actually put my stories down on paper. There she was on welfare with a baby, yet she went to a coffee shop each day when her daughter slept and wrote her book, faithfully. My kids were grown and gone..what was my excuse. So it began. LOL!

Cheers,
LE

The Persephane Pendrake Chronicles

message 6: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Dunbar | 66 comments Lady wrote: "I have to say that JK Rowling really gave me my best 'boot in the butt' to actually put my stories down on paper...."

For me, Lady, it was R.A. Salvatore and other authors of the Forgotten Realms Series, published by TSR. I still have, and just held in my hands, Pool of Radiance by James M. Ward and Jane Cooper Hong, published in 1989, which was my first Forgotten Realms book. My first R.A. Salvatore book, which I still have and am holding, is The Crystal Shard, published in 1988. The series at the time consisted mainly of novelizations of Advanced Dungeons and Dragons game modules.

I loved the universe Ed Greenwood and others had created for these great stories, some spanning several books. For those unfamiliar with Forgotten Realms, it is an allegory of our own history and mythology, combining elements from English, Scots, Nordic, Mexican, Japanese, Chinese, Mongolian, Spanish, and other cultures. It is a universe all of its own, yet it feels familiar.

I credit R.A. Salvatore, Douglas Niles, Ed Greenwood, and other authors of the Forgotten Realms for inspiring me to write fantasy. I am glad you found similar inspiration, Lady, with J.K. Rowling.

Cheers!

Christopher Dunbar

message 7: by Lady (new)

Lady (bestnewfantasyseries) | 11 comments Well, there are some names I don't know. Ed Greenwood, Jane Cooper andDouglas Niles. RA Salvatore, I do know, but I don't think I've read a lot of his. Always lovely to find new recommendations. Thanx!

I read the Narnia series and Susan Cooper's books to my kids as they grew and loved those as well. I love creating my own world and developing its characters..no rules..just what comes out of my head. LOL!

message 8: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Dunbar | 66 comments Lady wrote: "Well, there are some names I don't know. Ed Greenwood, Jane Cooper andDouglas Niles. RA Salvatore, I do know, but I don't think I've read a lot of his. Always lovely to find new recommendations...."

Lady, that is why I added links to their names so if they were unfamiliar to you or others, clicking on their names would link to their profiles. I am glad you discovered authors previously unfamiliar to you - that is one of the many benefits, I believe, of Goodreads.

I personally like the challenge of writing in our universe... yes, lots of rules, but there are so many gray areas in history and mythology that there is room for creative interpretation of events, and there in lies our stories. It is a challenge, yes, to write a story set in our ancient past that is fantastical but does not change history as we know it. Who knows what really happened in history and mythology? We weren't there. Who knows what the motivations were of the persons who wrote the Word of History down for later generations to read? That is the gray realm for our works.

Cheers!

Christopher Dunbar

message 9: by Lady (new)

Lady (bestnewfantasyseries) | 11 comments Yes..I appreciate the links. I am checking them.

Oh, for sure, tons of gray areas in the whole myth/legend arena to develop into stories.

Goodreads is great for learning a plethora of new sources, authors, etc...really enjoy it.

message 10: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 131 comments Holly Black, Laurie Faria Stolarz, Libba Bray are some authors that I think help influecne. I can be a quiet person, so people watching I feel like helps a little for me to think of character interations. School when I was in high school like 3 years ago helped and just the people I surround myself with. Also I like to write to sort out what is going on in my life so my own experiences or what I wish happened if I think back to an agruement.
Ottilie Weber

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

My greatest influence is my daughter. She was in high school when asked me to write her a story - a good, old-fashion fantasy. Little did I know when I accepted the challenge how it would involve into a series and the impact it had upon some of her friends during the process.

http://www.allonbooks.com

message 12: by Tracey (new)

Tracey Alley (traceya) For me my greatest influence was my mother - she had such an incredibly vivid imagination and a love of reading and encouraged me in both. Authors that have inspired me are too numerous to name but tops are probably Terry Pratchett, Anne McCaffrey, Agatha Christie, Stephen King - all different styles of writing but all appealing in their unique ways

message 13: by F.J. (new)

F.J. Hansen (fjhansen) | 15 comments I'd have to say Star Trek and Micro Machines. They are what got me started on writing in the first place.

All the authors I read afterward sharpened that skill.

message 14: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Lang | 7 comments The one thing that influenced me to write is an old British scifi series called, Blakes 7, in particular, a character named, Kerr Avon.

message 15: by Emily (new)

Emily (lafillebrigitte) any book i read, some examples of big influences; Inkheart/spell/death, C.S. Lewis, Warriors by Erin Hunter.

message 16: by Rob (new)

Rob Kennedy | 11 comments Influences for me are the other arts, music, poetry, yes poetry; we do remember what poetry is don't we? All forms of visual art and eavesdropping.

message 17: by Emily (new)

Emily (lafillebrigitte) i still write poetry. and not free verse scum either.

eavesdropping is the best!

message 18: by Tracey (new)

Tracey Alley (traceya) eavesdropping is the best!

Have to agree with this one - I can't tell you how many ideas I've gotten just from doing a little people watching & overhearing the odd conversation