Barnes & Noble Nook discussion

Nook - The Technical Side > How do you turn pages with the touch screen?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kelstar (new)

Kelstar | 6 comments I keep reading other people's posts about how they love the feature that let's you turn the page with the touch screen, but can't figure out how to do it or enable it?
I know how to slide/scroll through the pages with the little dot but that's not terribly convienent so I'm assuming that isn't what everyone is talking about.

message 2: by Susie (new)

Susie | 20 comments Kelstar, you cannot turn the page with the touch screen until it is dark. Allow about 30 seconds for it to "go to sleep" so that the slide/scroll is not a usable option. When the screen is dark, just give it a slide/stroke with your finger; right to left to turn forward, left to right to turn back a page. Great feature!

message 3: by Jamie (JK) (new)

Jamie (JK) (eimajtl) Just to add, it's a quick slide across the screen to turn the page. If you move your finger too slow it won't change. It was a little frustrating learning that. >.<

message 4: by Kelstar (new)

Kelstar | 6 comments Thank you! Yeah I couldn't figure it out. I tried slowly moving my finger on the blank screen too and nothing was happening. I kept wondering what everyone was talking about and thought it must be some feature that needed to be turned on. That's really cool.

Lori {Romancing the Dark Side} (romancingthedarkside) I didn't even know we could do that...LOL thanks for the tip!

Jean Valjean (OG 2010) (courfeyrack) The way I do it is specifically on the corner of the touch screen. To turn forward, I slide my thumb back-ish and vice versa to turn back the page. Hoep that makes sense. The reason I started doing it this way is because the nook that I initially had like CRACKED on the side frame like right above the arrow, so now I'm hella paranoid.

message 7: by George (new)

George (compacta_d) | 14 comments I tend to go from the center of the touch screen to the edge. Whatever works best for folks I guess. Funny to see the differences though. I read when I work out and almost flung my nook off the machine. i tend to use a softer touch now. haha.

message 8: by Dixie (new)

Dixie (readerofthepack) I discovered by accident that I could change the page with a swipe. I like to swipe on the nook home bar, right to left.

message 9: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (beantime) Dixie wrote: "I discovered by accident that I could change the page with a swipe. I like to swipe on the nook home bar, right to left."

I tend to swipe right on the bar, too. I discovered the swiping thing by accident and thought it only worked on that bar until I accidentally swiped the screen itself once. Now I'm just in the habit of swiping the bar. This feature is such a great one, I can't believe the "nook experts" at B&N don't tell potential buyers about it. Well, maybe they do now, but when I bought mine in May, no one told me.

message 10: by George (new)

George (compacta_d) | 14 comments It's in the start up screen when they explain the features. I guess people forget or skim through. I make it a habit to always read instructions.

message 11: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (beantime) George wrote: "It's in the start up screen when they explain the features. I guess people forget or skim through. I make it a habit to always read instructions."
I read them, but I don't remember that. I was (embarrassingly) excited when I got my nook, that whole day is a blur lol. Still, I feel like that would be one of the neat features they tell you about when trying to convince you to make the purchase.

message 12: by George (new)

George (compacta_d) | 14 comments They should tell you a lot of things when you purchase one. Like the use of Adobe Digital Editions. I almost took mine back to the store until I found out you pretty much HAVE to use Adobe or Calibre to side load. One of the sales points is the supported file types and easy drag and drop sideloading. Not so much. I was super excited as well and even opened it in store to play with it and download the free stuff fron B&N only to find out you need to register first. I tried to actually do it on the browser but the store was closing. haha

message 13: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (beantime) Wait, so you had trouble with drag and drop sideloading? What happened when you tried it? I can do it and it works fine, that's why I ask.

message 14: by Raggedyann (new)

Raggedyann | 62 comments I feel really stupid. I'm having a hard time of this and haven't gotten it to work yet. :-(

message 15: by Raggedyann (new)

Raggedyann | 62 comments Disregard! I finally got it.... I just wasn't fast enough. LOL

message 16: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Wallace (lovelylici) | 9 comments I finally got the swipe down. I am turning pages on the first try using the QUICK swipe. I was doing it too slowly all along. It only took me a week to catch on. Yay! :)

message 17: by - (new)

- (renkks) lol wooohh alicia. i did tht and i was like wtf? why isnt this working. yeah and the quick swipe is fun to do, i do it sometimes for fun.