CanLit Challenge discussion

CanLit Challenge 1914-1938 > Such is My Beloved by Morely Callaghan, #2

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ibis3 (new)

Ibis3 | 322 comments Mod
Such Is My Beloved by Morley Callaghan This was the second book in my CanLit Challenge. I enjoyed it (7/10 stars) and thought it would make a great book for discussion by a bookclub: "There’s lots of meat for discussion, both about the characters & their situations as well as social issues, then and now. Callaghan himself leaves it up to the reader to determine what the story means and how its lessons (if there are any) might be applied in real life. There are questions about the meaning of charity, about the role of institutions (the church, the powerful, the law, the social activists) in the desperation of and assistance towards the poor and dispossesed, about love (carnal, practical, idealistic, spiritual), about women in society…" - from my blog post review that you can read about here: http://www.readerofthestack.com/canli...

message 2: by Mrsgaskell (new)

Mrsgaskell | 12 comments I read both Callaghan's A Passion in Rome and Such is My Beloved last summer. I wasn't very taken with A Passion in Rome but enjoyed Such is My Beloved very much. I agree with you that it would make an excellent choice for a bookclub. You remarked in your blog that Callaghan's style reminded you of Hemingway and in my notes on A Passion in Rome I also noted a resemblance to Hemingway. I think I have another title of his on my TBR shelf but not sure which one.