Fantasy Book Club Series discussion

Fugitive Prince (Wars of Light & Shadow, #4; Arc 3 - Alliance of Light, #1)
This topic is about Fugitive Prince
Wars of Light and Shadow > Fugitive Prince: Mearn & the unveiling of the clans

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 414 comments In this book - did you start to relate to Mearn? Were his opinions the most or the least level headed?

How did the opening salvo in the unveiling of the role of the clans strike you?

Did you catch all of the significance of the conversation Mearn overheard while climbing the tower to investigate the whereabouts of Princess Talith?

message 2: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 414 comments This little chapter has so much informational material seeded - small subtleties between the characters, and largely writ hints between the lines.

Readers who've gone on - if you looked back at this scene - would hour hair prickle on end, just a bit?

Was it so subtlely laid that the foundational shift - the true purpose of clans and kingships begun to be unveiled - was the significance missed in the first go to the point where the reread here would become a revelation?

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments I did start to truly like Mearn in this book. And I definitely think he's the most level headed of the brothers.

I'm curious, though, what chapter are you talking about that presents the true role of the clans? Do you mean VII. Hunters? For Mearn's thoughts express much about that role.

As to the significance of the overheard conversation while he hung on the side of the tower:
a) it's policy to persecute sorcery, which isn't generally known.
b) Lysaer is scheming to make himself divine.
c) They want to eradicate clansmen and all memory of second age mysteries.

The clan bloodlines had to be preserved because they were the ones who could be go betweens between humanity and the Paravians. The chapter outlines the high cost of that connection and how few could stand the presence of the Paravians without either dying or wasting away. They guarded the lands and kept them natural, that not all would be plundered for greed.

message 4: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 414 comments Sandra aka Sleo wrote: "I did start to truly like Mearn in this book. And I definitely think he's the most level headed of the brothers.

I'm curious, though, what chapter are you talking about that presents the true r..."

That was the chapter I had in mind, yes, though there would be hints and more, in other scenes with this character. In fact a close look will spot the seeds of a major plot thread to come. (Old readers, duct tape it! grin)

Alissa | 52 comments I start by saying I've read the short story Reins of Destiny, which lends strength to Mearn's argument about a specific issue. I loved Mearn's role in this book, and I hope to see more of the brothers in the future (particularly Bransian). I have no idea how the story is going to evolve, but there are many elements chained together (I quote Sandra) and the losing side for now seems to be the clans'.