Beyond Reality discussion

Previous BotM--DISCUSSIONS > 2010-09 JULIAN COMSTOCK: other works by Robert Charles Wilson

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Stefan (sraets) | 1667 comments Mod
I know we'll get some responses on this one, because we've had 3 other books by this author as Books of the Month in the past... but please let us know if you read any other works by Robert Charles Wilson, and whether you liked them.

(Same PS here - I contacted Mr. Wilson to see if he wants to join us for the discussion, but haven't heard back yet. Same possible reason - the Hugos were this weekend, so he may have been too busy. He actually joined the group in the past, back when we were on Yahoo Groups, for the discussion of his novel Spin, so he may appear at some point... We'll see!)

message 2: by Shel, Moderator (last edited Sep 08, 2010 02:00PM) (new)

Shel (shel99) | 2387 comments Mod
I haven't gotten around to reading Julian Comstock yet (someday...) but I have read both Spin and Darwinia: A Novel of a Very Different Twentieth Century. I enjoyed them both, but had the same experience with both: Wilson creates a situation/mystery that is so intriguing and unusual that I can't wait to find out what's actually going on, and the payoff doesn't measure up to my expectations. In both books I was disappointed by the big revelations. I really enjoyed them, though. I liked Spin better than Darwinia.

message 3: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 338 comments I read The Chronoliths way back when I first discovered the internet and Beyond Reality. (How long ago did we read that book?) I thought the story was great, but wasn't really impressed with the characters. I then read Spin and was blown away. It's definitely one of the top 100 science fiction novels of all time, in my opinion. I really liked Blind Lake. I e-mailed the author after reading that one because I thought he captured the fear of a divorced mom with a crazy ex-husband who is afraid of losing custody. He wrote me a very nice reply. My most recent Robert Charles Wilson was Darwinia: A Novel of a Very Different Twentieth Century. It started off interesting, turned really weird and the ending was shocking.

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann Smith (annasuave) Aw man, I loved Spin. As a youngster, there were a lot of really good books that had a part in shaping me. As we get older those experiences become less and less frequent. As an adult, there aren't going to be all that many books that influence you to that degree. The Spin stayed with me to the point I sometimes find myself thinking "When I get old and become a Fourth, I'm going to... oh. Wait a sec." Silly of me? Maybe. No. Hallmark of a good book? Yeah.

I like the way Wilson tells a love story. I like that the illustration of love is broad in scope - best friend, lover, child - it's nice.

I'm glad that other posters feel that Calyxa cares for Adam. I'd be sad about the (fictional) unrequited love otherwise.

Axis didn't quite have the same magic for me. Darwinia, I never got around to finishing. Having read Sandi's post, I'll give Blind Lake a go.

So far though, Julian Comstock is my favourite.

message 5: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 338 comments Anna, I think Julian Comstock: A Story of 22nd-Century America is his best book to date. A lot of writers start out good then turn into hacks or get dull. Wilson just keeps getting better. I can't wait to see what he does next.

message 6: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Kathi | 3365 comments Mod
I've read Darwinia: A Novel of a Very Different Twentieth Century and Spin. I have Axis and thought I had read it, but I haven't. I have not read Julian Comstock: A Story of 22nd-Century America. So of the 2 books I have read, I gave Spin 5 stars and Darwinia 3, although I enjoyed both.

message 7: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (newtomato) | 22 comments Let's see, if I were forced to rank all the RCW books I've read, I'd say:

1. Julian Comstock
2. Spin
3. Darwinia
4. Cronoliths
5. Axis (very disappointing. Hopefully Vortex will be better.)

It was a close race between Julian Comstock and Spin, but I felt the characters in J.C. were more complex and engaging. I'm looking forward to Blind Lake.

message 8: by Ken (last edited Sep 09, 2010 02:44PM) (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1367 comments I have read

Julian Comstock
Spin
Darwina
Axis
The Bridge of Years
Blind Lake
The Harvest

If I had to rank them, Spin is the Best Julian Comstock the worst. Now when I say worst, I mean I dont think he was at his best here.
Axis had the problem with following up the Amazing Spin. It was good, but not remotly the same sort of book as Spin.
Blind Lake is good, just a bit below Spin. Darwina is a strange book, and it wasnt quite what I was expecting. The Harvest and The Bridge of Years I read a long time ago and remember thinking they were good, but not much else

message 9: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Stefan (sraets) | 1667 comments Mod
It's always fascinating to see how differently people react to books. In the same thread we have one person calling Julian Comstock: A Story of 22nd-Century America his best work and his worst!

I've read the 4 books we've discussed here over the years, and Axis. I considered Spin the best, until Julian Comstock which blew me away. Still, it's a close call for me, but the books are so utterly different it's hard to compare them. Axis was okay, but it felt like it could have been a few extra chapters at the end of Spin, rather than a separate book. I thought Darwinia was great until the Big Revelation. I don't recall many details about The Chronoliths, but I remember being impressed by the ending. He's definitely an amazing author and someone on my very short buy-and-read-immediately list.

message 10: by Staci (new)

Staci | 47 comments The only other book by the author I've read was Spin last year. I thought it was great and gave it five stars. I enjoyed it more than Julian Comstock: A Story of 22nd-Century America. I've been wanting to read Darwinia: A Novel of a Very Different Twentieth Century also, but haven't gotten around to that one yet.