What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Day of the Star Cities
This topic is about The Day of the Star Cities
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Two More Sci-Fi Books Large monoliths (maybe pyramid shaped) drop onto earth, and at the same time all the nuclear weapons on the planet detonate. The book is about the survivors. [s]

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ryan (new)

Ryan | 6 comments My father asked me try to find out the titles to two more sci-fi books. Here's the descriptions he gave me.

1.) A book I read in the late ‘70s early ‘80s was about an abandoned space ship earthlings found in the asteroid belt. It provided a means of teleporting. Only thing was no one knew where the routes would go. People signed on and got large sums of money if the route they drew had commercial value. Some, unfortunately, were transported into a star or similar doom. Seats in the spaceship gave the impression that the aliens’ bodies were something like wasps. Later, I found a sequel. Not as memorable, but I think mankind found the aliens because it turned out they were humanoids, not wasps. My recollection is sketchy, and I may have combined parts of another book or books.

2.) This one is probably pretty obscure. Large monoliths (maybe pyramid shaped) drop onto earth, and at the same time all the nuclear weapons on the planet detonate. The book is about the survivors. Whenever they approach the structures, they go mad. At the end, they figure out that they can approach the structures if they have no hostility. So they start hypnotizing people to give them the right frame of mind. Turns out that the structures are weigh stations for an alien race who teleport through the universe. I think the last line of the book was something like, “Rats get on ships.”

That's all. Thank you in advance for your ideas or suggestions.

message 2: by Gary (last edited Sep 08, 2010 12:13PM) (new) - added it

Gary (kaaserpent) The first one is Fred Pohl's "Gateway" which is part of the Heechee series.

Book One: Gateway
Book Two: Beyond the Blue Event Horizon
Book Three: Heechee Rendezvous
Book Four: The Annals of the Heechee

message 3: by Stacie (new)

Stacie H. (staciemh) | 7 comments The second one kind of sounds like John Brunner's The Day of the Star Cities (it had another name "Age of Miracles" apparently)...it does have the line "rats get on ships" in it.

message 4: by Ryan (new)

Ryan | 6 comments These look right. You guys are awesome. Thanks a bunch!