Jane Austen discussion

General Discussion > Exotic Locale for Reading Austen?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lev (new)

Lev Raphael | 13 comments Have you read Austen somewhere a bit out of the way, as opposed to your home, a vacation rental, etc?

I read "Emma" for the third time lying in a hammock in Israel, in my uncle's apple orchard outside Tel-Aviv. That copy is battered, but I can't ever get rid of it because it is so full of memory and sunshine.

message 2: by Penny (new)

Penny | 25 comments This vertion of P&P Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (I have more than 1 for reasons I can not quite explain, lol), that is falling to pieces and like you I just can't get ride off it, I have read it in so many diffrent places, but the two most unlikely have to be on line at Disney World and Universal, and between matches at the US Open, there are of course the usual places like the bus, subway, road trip with annoying people, airport and many others. I'm not sure if the beach counts as an exotic location, I'm from the Dominican Rep. so a tropical beach is not exactly it for me :p.

message 3: by Lev (new)

Lev Raphael | 13 comments I have several copies of most of her books because I wore them out or wrote too many notes in them, and wanted to read the particular book again "fresh" without marginalia.

message 4: by Penny (new)

Penny | 25 comments I could never write on a book, that is practically a sin to me.

message 5: by Lev (new)

Lev Raphael | 13 comments Penny wrote: "I could never write on a book, that is practically a sin to me."

You might feel differently if you were an author. or a reviewer. Without marking up books, even hardcovers, I couldn't get my work done. :-)

message 6: by Penny (new)

Penny | 25 comments Lev wrote: "Penny wrote: "I could never write on a book, that is practically a sin to me."

You might feel differently if you were an author. or a reviewer. Without marking up books, even hardcovers, I could..."

I don't think so, is a pet peeve my father pass on to me, I don't even fold the corners of the books, I feel like I'm hurting theme in a way. Ehhh all I can say is we all have our own craziness, lol.

message 7: by Lev (new)

Lev Raphael | 13 comments Penny wrote: "Lev wrote: "Penny wrote: "I could never write on a book, that is practically a sin to me."

You might feel differently if you were an author. or a reviewer. Without marking up books, even hardcov..."

This might make you laugh, then: I would never dream of dog-earring a book. Now that would be desecration. But because I'm a writer, and write notes and even whole drafts of things inside books at hand (as when I'm on the road), that seems different. :-)

message 8: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) I don't see what is wrong with dog earing your own book, but not a library book, or one that you borrow from someone else.

message 9: by Lev (new)

Lev Raphael | 13 comments Here's my latest blog about the subject:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lev-rap...

message 10: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) Some people would consider Hawaii an exotic locale, so maybe I should answer yes even though this is where I live. Just hanging out reading indoors, Austen is not a beach book, so I would not take it to the beach with me. I like nice and quiet so I can relax and enjoy her words.

message 11: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina oooooh you live in Hawaii Robin - you lucky goose. . . It's so gorgeous there - the weather perfect. My husband and I went there for our anniversary and can't wait to go back soon.

message 12: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) Yes, I do. It is a nice island, we live on Oahu.

message 13: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 1 comments My parents and grandmother read P&P to me when I was confined to an ICU unit for 7-1/2 weeks, paralyzed back in 1971.